1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 10:29 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Undo is not working correctly in 13.6

cauthier72 Level 1

If I add an effect to a layer, hit undo, the effect is still visible. If I put an image into the composition, hit undo, I still see the image even though the layer is gone. If I save it and reopen it, it's fine. Any solution to this without having to reopen my file every time to 'refresh' it?

• 1. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
          Greedy Fish Level 1

I'm having the same issue. As a temporary fix I'm going to edit > purge > all memory and disk cache which will at least show you the correct image but it's not an ideal way to work.

Going to give it a few hours and then revert back to the last version if there's no fix.

• 2. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What OS are the two of you using?

• 3. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
              cauthier72 Level 1

I'm using Windows 7.

• 4. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                michaeljanzen Level 1

I'm actually have the exact same issue since updating to 13.6 this morning. The only way to resolve it is to purge the memory and cache any time you want to see your changes if you "Undo" something. I'm currently on the latest version of Windows 10 64 bit.

• 5. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                  jb1234 Level 1

Not working for me, either. Windows 10 64 bit.

• 6. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                    Adobe@TheRave.com Level 1

Same issue. Really annoying..

• 7. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                      Adobe@TheRave.com Level 1

Windows 10 64 bit

• 8. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6

I had (rather infrequent) undo problems on 13.5, but ever since I started using 13.6 I have had 0 issues.

There is something going on with all y'all's machines that isn't happening on mine. This is probably why 13.6 got released with this bug; it doesn't happen on all machines. It might not even happen on most machines. I see some of you are running Windows 7 and so am I...

All I can suggest is filing bug reports with as much detail as possible about your hardware and software AND share on these forums with as much detail as possible and hopefully somebody will eventually figure this out!

• 9. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                          fredcamino Level 1

It's happening on my machine!

I was hoping 13.6 would fix the many many problems of 13.5, but it seems to have only compounded them... relieved (I guess) to see that I'm not alone though.

• 10. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                            cauthier72 Level 1

Greedy Fish has the best solution thus far. I did notice you didn't need to purge the disk cache, so whenever it needs refreshing, I use edit > purge > all memory OR Ctrl+Alt+Numpad / as a shortcut, since it's needed constantly. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update.

• 11. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                              jacograaff Level 1

Duplicating and then Deleting the old comp worked for a while. But after moving a mask and then pressing undo the old preview is displayed and not he updated view. The vector lines display at correct location but the rasterized preview underneath shows the old preview before undo.

If Adobe is going to continue with releasing broken updates I will have to move to another platform. I simply do not have the time to beta-test their products while in production.

• 12. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                dongwooj62396257 Level 1

I also like error after updating to 13.6 . And when rendered in that State comes the message 'undo group mismatch will attempt to fix'.

• 13. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                  jacograaff Level 1

Definitely UNDO -  I cannot use undo which I am constantly using in my workflow - Clearing memory takes time, 10 to 20 seconds

• 14. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                    lesriff Level 1

Same problem !!!

• 15. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                      Laurent Maillard Level 1

Same problem here

AE latest release

Win 8.1 64bits (latest update)

i7 5820K 3.3GHz

Nvidia GTX 980 Ti V1 6Go (latest firmware)

And as jacograaff said "I simply do not have the time to beta-test their products while in production"

-Posted from France-

• 16. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                        andy-mario Level 1

Same here, undo problems all the way. Totally unreliable for production work.

Win 10 64 bit

Nvidia Gtx 980 ti

i7 4790K

• 17. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                          dephixeb Level 1

Hi,

I have the same problem, tested on two machines with windows 10 & windows 7. One way around it is to save after undoing and restart AE, it seems like it's the viewport itself that's not updating. Well annoying when you're on a tight deadline!

• 18. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                            andy-mario Level 1

dephixeb wrote:

Hi,

I have the same problem, tested on two machines with windows 10 & windows 7. One way around it is to save after undoing and restart AE, it seems like it's the viewport itself that's not updating. Well annoying when you're on a tight deadline!

Another workaround is to purge cache (works for me) from "Edit > Purge > All memory" (shortcut "Ctrl + Alt + Numpad / " ), takes several seconds, then the update preview will show up after a refresh. Problem is you can't notice when it happens, sometimes I'm working (like changing a color) and the preview is "freezed" from a previous undo operation, so I start checking what's wrong with the color not changing only to figure out after 10 minutes that is the undo bug and I have to purge cache (this happens like every 5 minutes).

This is obviously a workaround to get the job done, but I sit in front of AE 10 hours everyday... not possible to do serious work with this issue.

• 19. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                              dephixeb Level 1

Thanks man, I'll try this sollution. Same here, using AE most of my day - not feeling comfortable with the fact that AE is so unstable as I prefer working with piece of mind

• 20. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6

From another thread on this issue,

For those experiencing this in 13.6, please try:

1. Turn on logging (Help -> Enable Logging) (requires an app restart)

2. Using the simplest set of steps you can, get into the preview-not-updating-after-undo state.

3. Once you're in the state, make a copy of the log file (Help -> Reveal Logging File). This should ensure the last things in the log are hopefully the things you did just before the problem occurred....

4. Either post the saved log here (via Pastebin.com / Dropbox), or send via a bug report Feature Request/Bug Report Form with a DETAILED report of the steps you took to get there (this is critical, as we'll have to narrow exactly which project change is causing things to get out of sync!)

Also, in cases where you are no longer seeing updates, please check the CPU usage of AE in your Activity|Resource Monitor - it's possible that what looks like preview not updating may in fact be AE cranking on a slow frame in the background.

And finally - in 13.6 (though not in 13.5), purge should potentially fix bugs in this family. If you're seeing this in 13.6 and purging memory + cache does NOT fix the preview, please call that out explicitly, as it might be a slightly different problem.

So, while it won't help you right now, it'll make a more useful fix more likely to come more quickly.

• 21. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                  fredcamino Level 1

As you've mentioned in many other threads "best to think of CC2015 as a beta".

Unfortunately when Adobe secretly signed us all up for this "thought beta" they assumed we'd be able instinctively know the "thought beta" bug reporting procedure you outlined above.

So thank you for sharing.

But personally, I'm just going to look at After Effects CC2015 as exactly what it is, no mind tricks needed: a broken mess released to paying customers under false pretenses.

• 22. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                    fabius94 Level 1

+1

Undo work. But nothing change on preview. I have to purge... every 5 minutes... impossible...

-> I had to reinstall the previous version.

Could we get a commercial gesture for all the inconvenience caused by this version 13.6? (I lost 1 day...)

• 23. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                      A3user Level 1

Same issue, the viewer won't update all the time. I have to use the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Numpad / constantly, it's very annoying!

• 24. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6

fabius94 wrote:

Could we get a commercial gesture for all the inconvenience caused by this version 13.6? (I lost 1 day...)

Fabius, I know it's frustrating when your software doesn't work. I've had problems in the past too.

I'm sorry you had to learn this the hard way, but industry veterans know that updating software to a new version is likely to have issues and we build that sort of thing into our schedule. If you're a busy shop, you keep going with what works and wait for folks who aren't under such deadlines check it out first. The second mouse gets the cheese.

We never update versions in the middle of a project at my full-time job - even if an update has been out for a while. We only just started using Cinema 4D R17 last week (and only on new projects). However, in my home studio where I do freelance, I try the newer versions out as soon as I can, but still not in the middle of a project if I have an imminent deadline.

It's also a good idea to follow the After Effects team's recommendation of keeping old versions around (http://adobe.ly/1MQ48cW). That way, if something goes awry, you can just jump back to a version that worked for you and carry on without losing any time.

This isn't an Adobe thing either. It's a software thing. Just ask Modo users or Nuke users!

I'm not blaming you though. It's always exciting when an update comes out! Especially when an update is meant to fix bugs, it can be very tempting to install it right away! I'm just offering some advice to make it better for you next time.

• 25. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                          BGPictures Level 1

Is anyone having these cache problems on a Mac, or are the cache problems Windows specific?

• 26. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                            dcfreelancelot Level 2

Same cache problems here, as well.  Even when SSD cache is disabled.

Intel x5690

48GB RAM

SSD Cache Drive

Windows 10 Pro

Nvidia Quadro 5000

Dual Monitors

• 27. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6

dcfreelancelot wrote:

Same cache problems here, as well.  Even when SSD cache is disabled.

That's because it's not actually a cache problem. Todd Kopriva from Adobe explained it in his posts in a few other similar threads (I bolded the relevant portion at the bottom):

regarding the issues of image information being incorrect after Undo or delete or similar operations:

We are very keen to isolate the causes of these issues. We have a couple of engineers visiting someone having this problem...so that they can debug the issue.

Please, submit detailed bug reports here:

http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

If you provide your contact information, we'll be reaching out to some of you.

The issue is that the information held by the render thread is getting out of synch with the information held by the UI thread. This kind of problem can be worked around by either restarting the application or purging the caches---either of which forces a re-synchronization of these sets of information.

So it's not the cache on the drive that's the problem, but purging the cache makes both threads reset and behave themselves.

• 28. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                                BGPictures Level 1

Hi Szalam. I appreciate your positive attitude about Adobe. I have been using their software for decades. And in that time, the common wisdom to just "not upgrade in the middle of a project" is no longer a valid one. Ever since Adobe moved to the cloud, we have been using its software in a different way. I am working with an editor who is working with version 15x. He sends me a project so I can relink media on my system. If I don't upgrade to his version, I can not use his project. Should I buy a PC with his os/video/audio cards so I can expect the same results as him? Should I buy another computer for the next project with a different team? It seems that what needs to be stated and re-stated is not, "Don't upgrade in the middle of a project", but "Please Adobe, we already love your software. We pay for the right to use it every month. Allocate less of your amazing brainpower towards inventing the next great addition to software we already love, and more to keeping it compatible with the various systems we all use and which are changing at a predictable rate." If their business model is "The Cloud" they need to assure that there are OS's and hardware setups which work for the software they are rolling out -- not for sandboxed workstations, but for real-world collaborative cloud-based projects where computers die and need to be replaced, and our investment is not in any one workstation, but in the Adobe pipeline. Right now I have the very real option of bouncing between Premiere versions via XML and losing all of our audio effect work, suffering through random audio pops on my current system, hit or miss undos by upgrading to the latest Premiere, or buying a mirror system to my editors, and hoping that I can still get the exact OS version he is using.

• 29. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                                  jacograaff Level 1

The cloud-platform marketing spiel and cloud-licensing scheme Adobe has forced on us is a sensitive topic. Releasing a severely handicapped update to users is obviously throwing fuel on the fire of our already mistrust in Adobe's marketing strategy.

One of the main fears is that the business objectives, (i.e. share-holder profits and upper-management short-term bonuses) not related to creating great software was one of the main motivators. The focus will be more in developing a wider echo-system where Adobe can harness the captive user-base and on-sell additional revenue streams for Adobe's benefit, while less on the actual productivity software, using cheaper and less-quality off-shoring for development, buy-out of third-party additions to supplement the echo-system, etc.. to create an illusion of progress. 

We expected to see a decline in production quality as Adobe experiences a more stable stream of income not related to year-on-year delivery of worthy software. We hoped you would prove us wrong since we are depended on Adobe creating trustworthy, functional and highly productive competitive software.

I have been using Adobe Software (or software Adobe has bought, solicited from Aldus, Macromedia, etc..) since 1991 and thus to a certain extend loyal to the tools. This loyalty and surety has made me not move to alternative platforms (Nuke, etc..) although I have been keeping track of the potential of those platforms that is keen to demonstrate their excellence in developing quality applications at high standards.

If Adobe is going to let us down like this then it is time to move.

• 30. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                                    BGPictures Level 1

Wow. Sobering and eloquent response, jacograaff.

• 31. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                                      josteger Level 1

Same issue here!

AND as a bonus bug (among many others )- ALL of my CS6 After Effect files are now "contaminated" and cannot be opened ny CS6 anymore.

After Effects CC 2015 is useless and a very big annoyance at the moment.

And as jacograaff said "I simply do not have the time to beta-test their products while in production"

Should have NEVER switched to CC 2015. Photoshop is also laggy as hell.

• 32. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                                        jacograaff Level 1

I have the same laggy experience with Photoshop - i.e. just hovering over a button is slower (slower than the 30ms rule *) - there is a significant delay in the highlight or action on a click compared to what I experienced up till the day before I updated.

(*see Nielsen's Usability Engineering: the 30ms/.1 of a second rule to perceive an action as immediate )

I wanted to spend some time on determining if this is a new Photoshop issue because I am now heavily using the new Design workspace for a new UI design.

On another note:

I do love some of the new tools and workflow especially the artboards that has been introduced but it is still not comparable to features we had in Fireworks.

After Fireworks's demise and becoming archaic I was sorely missing some core features like 9-scale slicing which is an extremely important part of a design workflow - specifically a responsive workflow.

I personally have lost so much in the past in terms of my preferred workflows because of Adobe's aggressive take-over of Macromedia in the early Naughts. Existing functionality took years to be re-introduced after Adobe killed of extremely productive tools like freehand (my preferred vector-layout tool since 1992 since it had features far exceeding Illustrator's or Director's development off-shored to a unit in an emerging-market country that completely destabilized the core the first-time they touched it and it just never recovered, introduce new tech, kept the dynamism or was able to meet current first-world/international standards and expectations.

I moved over to illustrator as it become more viable (it finally supports 9-scale slicing and multiple artboards) but really wanted a raster workflow for ui-design targeted towards raster-based output and deployment as opposed to a vector workflow (which works wonderful for a XAML-based UI which is all vector-based)

Anyway - I think I will duplicate this post in the Photoshop forum to see if anyone has a fix (apart from rolling back)

• 33. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you'd like to help us to test the After Effects CC 2015 (13.6.1) update---which fixes this bug---you can request access to the prerelease testing program here:

https://www.adobeprerelease.com/

Choose the "Private programs" tab and click Apply to apply for the "After Effects CC 2015 (13.6.1) patch update" program.

• 34. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                                            jacograaff Level 1

I would have a liked a more much more open and public as well as quicker and technical-proficient responsive to this broken release:

1. It would make me as an Adobe user feel secure in your ability to fix the problem and similiar ones that will arise in the future

2. It would have warned other users to not click on the update-all button on their new cloud-console and thus install a broken After Effects (yes we have to realise that under the hood the software are exactly the same as before the "cloud"-versions and not be blinded by the additional layer and naming convention between us and the actual upgrades and install files)

• 35. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                                              jacograaff Level 1

Thanks - after installing the update I can confirm that the undo is now working - I have not conducted extensive tests. I opened some of my files and did some random property changes. Undo worked fine. I will test later with the history panel

Thanks for releasing this beta-fix to the community within such a short period.

Jaco

• 36. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                                                cauthier72 Level 1

Awesome!! Looks like 13.6.1 fixes the issue!! Thanks!

• 37. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                                                  Retcon Media Level 1

Hey Todd, any info on when this will release as an official patch?

I'd like to use the test version but I rely heavily on plugins like Particular and Element 3D, I'm worried a beta patch might cause issues. Thanks,

Jeremy

• 38. Re: Undo is not working correctly in 13.6
                                                                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We're targeting tomorrow to release the 13.6.1 patch.

1 2 Previous Next