7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2015 3:03 PM by dj_paige

I didn't think this through... added a third computer

jonathan+7007 Level 1

I bought a Surface Pro 4 i7 model to make it easier to do a little editing while out and about or while traveling. I'll use it mostly for administrative work. But I planned to keep the SandyBridge w520 heavy Lenovo workstation laptop for tethering in my photo assignments for which tethering's a benefit. Although I use the Canon "EOS Utility" v2 and v3 most of the time for tethering I'd hate to give up the choice to use LR or do some Lightroom editing on the w520 during the session.

In my office I use a fast desktop for all my editing and Photoshop work.

Adobe restricts us to two machines. So, Adobe offers to "sign me out of one of the other computers" as I try to start Lightroom on the SP4. This makes it seem like they are just removing a "flag" in CC that identifies another of my platforms somewhere else -- but is that offer and related programming allowing me to safely do this all the time? Can I reverse the choice any time? What files are changed that affect future work, I wonder? At that moment I am not using one or more  of the machines...

If I have to I will give up editing on the w520. Great screen but the SP4's i7 should be faster, even without the discrete graphics from NVidia. found in the w520. And that's a handful when heading out for a meeting.

What are the rest of you doing about the limit and the offer to "sign you out of" one of your machines?

Thanks, in advance, for experience and thoughts.

jonathan7007

• 1. Re: I didn't think this through... added a third computer
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi jonathan

Thanks for your Detailed Query

The "Sign me out of " message allows you to use as many computers you want with single subscription but only two at a time.

So You may install & activate Cloud software on 2 machines at a time.  If you install software on a 3rd machine, your other 2 machines will be deactivated(as you see the message "Sign me out of other two computers")

You can then install the software on a 4th machine.  When you're ready to use the previous 2 machines again, deactivate the software from machines 3 & 4

This way you can manage your Computers with one subscription.

Hope that helps

Regards

~Akash

• 2. Re: I didn't think this through... added a third computer
            jonathan+7007 Level 1

Akash, thank you for your quick response.

What settings would be "lost" in ripping the installs from machine to machine? I need to know if this can be moved/shifted for convenience for, perhaps, one day or is a process that must be reserved for more significant changes to my computer landscape.

For example, if I get a one-day shoot on which I want to use one CURRENT Lightroom install and one SHIFTED Lightroom install, will I spend time re-setting preferences, individual interface choices, etc. when I go back to the usual pair of computers?

Also, the offer to deactivate ("sign out of") in the dialog box seems to give me the ability to de-activate just ONE of the other two machines, which would be better. Much better. Am I reading this incorrectly?

Thanks, again, for any added clarification.

jonathan7007

• 3. Re: I didn't think this through... added a third computer
              dj_paige Level 9
              What settings would be "lost" in ripping the installs from machine to machine?

I don't think the suggestion was "ripping the installs from machine to machine". The suggestion was to sign out on one machine (leaving the installation intact) and then sign in on another machine.

You will have to transfer catalog file (and photos unless they are on a network drive) if you want to use them on different machines, definitely a pain in the neck. You could have separate photos and catalogs on each machine if that's what you had in mind.

• 4. Re: I didn't think this through... added a third computer
                jonathan+7007 Level 1

dj,

Thanks for your suggestion. I was trying for a little drama by picking the work "ripping" as in "Ripped from the headlines."

I tried signing out of Lightroom and quitting the program on my laptop, which is with me on a trip, and hoped that would be enough to satisfy the "run on two machines" requirement. Like the "concurrent" licenses that were common some years back. But that isn't what Adobe seems to want. I was not allowed to sign in on my Surface Pro. They want me to, (I guess) de-activate. I believe you are right in that I can leave Lightroom installed on the laptop, but the EXACT steps, changed files (prefs? presets?), and required status of the now-moribund Lightroom instance is still a bit vague. I have searched the web -- nothing exact -- so that is why I asked the question above.

For example, do we know that Creative Cloud can handle bouncing in and out like that over a period of time in which I want to change often which machine I use for out-of-office editing?

One solution is a second licence, but I don't want to spend the money. The other solution is make a clean break from editing on one or another of the machines.One important factor is seeing first hand Photoshop and Lightroom toolsets on the new high-res screen, so I have to take steps to see that before deciding. I read a lot about difficulty touching and moving sliders, other interface elements.

jonathan7007

• 5. Re: I didn't think this through... added a third computer
                  dj_paige Level 9

I was trying for a little drama by picking the work "ripping" as in "Ripped from the headlines."

Never helpful. Better to use the proper technical terms so we know exactly what you are trying to say.

For example, do we know that Creative Cloud can handle bouncing in and out like that over a period of time in which I want to change often which machine I use for out-of-office editing?

If you have installed Lightroom on Machine Z and Machine A, it is supposed to allow you to sign out of Machine A so you have can be allowed to sign in on machine B. Are you saying this doesn't happen? Can you explain in detail what you did and what happened (and provide the exact error message)? Are you sure you know exactly which of your machines are signed in, and which are not?

• 6. Re: I didn't think this through... added a third computer
                    jonathan+7007 Level 1

dj,

I know what is running and what is not! What -- exact -- steps "sign out" and what changes will that make? I have asked this several times.

At this moment I have left Lightroom running back at my office in case I need files from the database. I have my long-time editing laptop alternative with me on my trip and use them both under CC "photography program".

Even though I do not have Lightroom running on the laptop at this moment I cannot install Lightroom (or Photoshop) on the Surface Pro, because after installing Creative Cloud and downloading the Photoshop files I receive a dialog box from Adobe that is titled, "Limit Reached". This dialog offers two items accompanied by radio buttons:

"Sign me out of the other computers so I can sign up here"

"I signed out of one computer so I can sign in here"

So I am *guessing* there is a way to de-activate, perhaps on the Help menu, if that's the way it must be done I just wonder if all the personalization remains available to me when I re-activate Adobe software on a machine. Reading the Adobe response above closely it would mean (as I interpret it) that I would have to uninstall Creative Cloud on the machine which will not be used. That adds a lot of time bringing it back on line...

So, there's lots to consider.

I just this minute got a Photoshop "trial" running on my Surface Pro 4 and it looks like Adobe made real progress on the interface! I am very glad and appreciate that it got done! There was a lot of info on the web about hard-to-use toolsets. Now I'll do some work to try it out.

jonathan7007

• 7. Re: I didn't think this through... added a third computer
                      dj_paige Level 9

The way to deactivate is to use the command "Sign Out" in the Help menu in Lightroom. No uninstall is needed, especially if you plan to reactivate the software at a later time on this computer.

You settings and catalog remain intact on this computer for use if you activate the software again on that computer.