1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 9:41 AM by tonsfocus Branched to a new discussion.

Latest update (13.6) major problems

andy-mario Level 1

AE 13.6.0.165 on Windows 10 (haven't updated yet my osx workstation).

Issues happened on a 13.5 project and on a brand new project file also.

I'm having severe problems (Machine restarted after update and before worked all day long without issues with the 13.5): 

- biggest one is "undo" not working most of the times, breaking positioning of the elements I'm working on. Undo do not work on everything and all the times, making very very hard to work.

- preview not updating most of the time (need to purge memory&disk EVERY 3 previews, or preview displayed is still the last one). Same happens with pre-caching or without.

- sometimes layer remain visible even if out point is reached in timeline

- visibility issues when I turned on a and off a layer (position values shifted suddendly)

- had to apply effects (cycore, not 3rd party) 2 times and before effect is applied.

I think this is all related to a persistent cache problem.

When these problems happened (all the time) I needed to purge disk&memory or even restart AE to continue working.

As a note, I uninstalled accidentally the 13.5 because I missed the radio button "keep previous version".

I hope Adobe will reconsider and display an alert or something more visible next time when you click "update all".

Anyone experienced these major issues?

• 1. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
          fabius94

same problems here... "fixe bugs..."? Or put more?

I lose a lot of time with this update.

-> I remove it now

• 2. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
            thunderbat

Yup, same problems here

• 3. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
              andy-mario Level 1

Seems that I'm not alone, please continue to follow updates on this thread, where more people are giving feedback.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1941346

• 4. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                Jissse Level 1

Good summary, and I also forgot to keep 13.5. This has been a long day already, and it's not over yet...

• 5. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                  catherinem5109779

I am having major problems too - just upgraded to 13.6 overnight - now many aspects seem not to work properly any more - I have noticed that automatic push through of changes to illustrator files into after effects isn't happening properly.

Also I have copied & renamed a precomp so that I can have slightly different versions of the same sequence; changes to the new one affect the old one and vice versa despite them now having different names and even if I 'protect' one from updates by setting the lock - I don't think this happened in the last version and because it would appear that the two differently-named pre-comps are actually connected to each other or one and the same item, I now can't copy and re-use a precomp...   which is what the whole point of them is/was...  isn't it?!

Auto-saving doesn't seem to be working properly - what I see on the screen is not accurately reflecting changes I have made until I go right out closing both the project and the application and then come back in again.

What is going wrong???!!?!?! - Adobe please fix this mess - this is creating a huge waste of time for me/us and frankly, for what I am paying for this 'service', I think I/we really have every right to expect better!  From what I see this is just plain amateurish!

Windows 7 64

• 6. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                    kiddiuk

It's half past midnight and I've been working since 9am this morning. Today, I have lost about 4 hours of work due to this new version, as AE is somehow, unexplainably, rendering "previous versions" of something I worked on earlier. For example, I have a big complicated timeline with graphics and video recordings of people which I am color grading amongst other things, and AE is rendering old versions of the grade, even though I saved prior to rendering. It's as if, AE is caching your adjustments and rendering something randomly from that cache, instead of the actual timeline?!? I've worked full-time on After Effects since 1997, and this is by far the buggiest release I've seen so far. I'm happy that the Preview feature has  been mostly fixed, and I'm super happy that I can utilize my 980 GTX graphics cards for 3D text, but wow.... this bug is the king of all bugs. For the record, CC 2014 is the best, most stable release I've used.

• 7. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

regarding the issues of image information being incorrect after Undo or delete or similar operations:

We are very keen to isolate the causes of these issues. We have a couple of engineers visiting someone having this problem tomorrow so that they can debug the issue.

Please, submit detailed bug reports here:

http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

If you provide your contact information, we'll be reaching out to some of you.

The issue is that the information held by the render thread is getting out of synch with the information held by the UI thread. This kind of problem can be worked around by either restarting the application or purging the caches---either of which forces a re-synchronization of these sets of information.

• 8. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

catherinem5109779 wrote:

Also I have copied & renamed a precomp so that I can have slightly different versions of the same sequence; changes to the new one affect the old one and vice versa despite them now having different names and even if I 'protect' one from updates by setting the lock - I don't think this happened in the last version and because it would appear that the two differently-named pre-comps are actually connected to each other or one and the same item, I now can't copy and re-use a precomp...  which is what the whole point of them is/was...  isn't it?!

That sounds like you copied it in the timeline and not the project panel. Especially since you mention a "lock" since there is no lock in the project panel. You have to copy it in the project panel because otherwise you're just renaming an instance of the same composition.

catherinem5109779 wrote:

...frankly, for what I am paying for this 'service', I think I/we really have every right to expect better!  From what I see this is just plain amateurish!

If the newest version isn't working for you, use an older version that is. The service you're paying for includes several older versions that are pretty rock solid on Windows 7.

• 9. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                          Silly-V Adobe Community Professional

Same problems here, making the new update unusable. Going to revert now to the previous version until this is fixed.

• 10. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                            mechinmed

I have the same problems. After upgrading to version 13.6 the work on an After effects project has become a nightmare. Undos do not work most of the time in terms of the updating visual display of whatever parameters I change. I have to close the project and open it again in order to see if the change I did is actually applied or not.  Adobe fix it ASAP!!!

• 11. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                              mechinmed Level 1

Can you tell please where do I find the previous version of After Effects prior to current 13.6 update. I don't see an option for the previous version in my Creative Cloud desktop manager. Thank you.

• 12. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems

mechinmed wrote:

Can you tell please where do I find the previous version of After Effects prior to current 13.6 update. I don't see an option for the previous version in my Creative Cloud desktop manager. Thank you.

Does this help? http://blogs.adobe.com/adobecare/2015/06/16/how-to-find-and-install-previous-version-of-ad obe-apps-in-cc-2015/

• 13. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems

Wait a minute, does this mean our options are only to go back to CC2014? I want to just go back to the very previous update of CC2015.

• 14. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems

Silly-V wrote:

Wait a minute, does this mean our options are only to go back to CC2014? I want to just go back to the very previous update of CC2015.

I haven't tried it myself, but some folks have said there's an "install 13.5" option somewhere under previous versions. If you can't find it (or it is merely apocryphal), you can uninstall AE CC 2015 and reinstall it, but don't do the update once it's installed, and you'll have 13.5 again.

• 15. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                      fabius94 Level 1

YES

On Windows7, I also had to go through the cc2014 . And update cc 2014. And then I can had the 2015 cc (13.5) ...

• 16. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                        SawyerB79

Im on window 7 too, you can choose previous version.

AE-INSTALL1.png

• 17. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                          fabius94 Level 1

Yes since yesterday you can see it "cc 2015".

But on of my friend try it... and he get some error...and he can't install it...

• 18. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems

I am one of those people who did not see the CC2015 option under previous versions, but I have uninstalled AE CC2015  in hopes to get the basic version when I re-installed it. However, the only version it let me re-install with this method is the latest problematic one.

However, as of right now, after doing the above action, I now notice the CC2015 previous version listed in my CC Apps Previous Versions panel!

I clicked to begin the 13.5 version install, and its starting.

Now, in my Installed Apps, the AE CC 2015 is installing, and I see that the AE CC2015 is again completely missing from the Previous Versions screen, with the latest vesion being CC2014.

After this, I am able to guess that we are allowed to have multiple different major versions (CC2015 vs CC2014) installed on a workstation, but only one minor version (update) of each.

Also I learned that in order to revert to a previous minor version, the current application must be first uninstalled and re-installed and in a 3rd step, the desired minor version has to be found yet again inside the Previous Versions list.

This isn't super-intuitive, and to improve it I would suggest they edit the Help site to include this information.

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app to manage your apps and services, download apps, share files, find fonts, and m…

This site is accessed via the Help menu item from the Creative Cloud app.

I believe the current help topic on this focuses on reverting back to major versions, while in the situation such as this, users are more likely to encounter workflow-crashing bugs from updates to new minor versions which happen with less fanfare than major releases. So the users who are like me may not know about reverting back to a specific update by needing to do this uninstall/reinstall 3 times, with new items appearing in the Previous Versions list.

If anything I said is incorrect, it 1) should be corrected and 2) is further evidence for adding clarification to this process.

• 19. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                              thunderbat Level 1

I didn't find it at first either

Pre.jpg

• 20. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                Heretic Scum

I just took the leap at the beginning of the week from 12.x to 13.5. I had a lot of worries about previews and lack of h.264 but I was pleasantly surprised with how well 13.5 worked. Updated to 13.6 last night, and my previews no longer update. I tried to follow the instructions above but could not downgrade back to 13.5. I even tried uninstalling all of different AE versions but 13.5 does not appear in my previous version options, the latest I can download is CC 2014. I wasted 2 hours trying to install and uninstall and still no luck.

How do I get 13.5 back?

• 21. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems

I did not see 13.5 in Previous Versions, then I uninstalled CC2015 and re-installed it from the regular Apps. Only after this did I see the 13.5 version appear down in the Previous Versions. After installing it, now it's back to normal, thanks to Jessus Allah Christ.

So in total I uninstalled CC2015, reinstalled CC2015, installed 13.5

• 22. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                    mechinmed Level 1

Yes. It did. Thank you!

• 23. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                      mechinmed Level 1

Thank you for your testing. Finally, after multi-step combination I was able to get back to version 13.5.

1) I need to mention that while the version 13.6 was installed, I was able to select the option to install the previous version 13.5. However, after the installation of 13.5 I couldn't run it - I got an error about some library conflict. Don't remember the exact message now... So if you have version 13.6  - the first step - uninstall it completely, before trying to restore a last good version 13.5.

So, in my case I had to uninstalled that version 13.5 with error.

2) Then installed version CC 2014. Did updated it to a version 13.2, just in case.

3) Then installed a new version of CC 2015  - 13.6 (a buggy one), while keeping the version of CC 2014 as well.

4) After the 13.6 version installed,  the option of downloading the version 13.5 became available.

5) Finally I downloaded and  installed the version 13.5.

Adobe MUST, you hear: MUST do proper testing before rushing with the release of software updates, and save us from so much frustration and lost time.

• 24. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                        Gutter-Fish Level 4

At the very least they could display a small amount of dignity rename 2015 as 2015 BETA.  In doing so people may do little reading before installing it and save everyone a lot of time.

2015 is a joke...and it's making everyone involved look like a joke.

• 25. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                          Heretic Scum Level 1

Silly-V's solution worked for me.

• 26. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                            Aris Zagklis Level 1

Agree with everyone. This update is a JOKE, problems with cache are ridiculous, i undo the scene but nothing happens...

• 27. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                              mechinmed Level 1

For all that trouble and lost production time, as a way to say "sorry" it would be fair if Adobe offers the affected CC customers some kind of a credit like giving a free month to our Creative Cloud subscriptions.

• 28. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                kanadiou Level 1

the thing now with creative cloud, it's that we never can use a stable version.

it's always an update with bug correction AND new things, but with lots of bug.

So ok to have always most recent versions, but please before a major update, just do an update with bug correction, nothing more, because it's very frustrating to work always on a beta version.....

• 29. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                  JR2010 Level 1

Same issues here... I've spent most of my day chasing issues and emptying the cache, over and over and over...... you get the idea.  I like the free month idea !

• 30. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                    Gutter-Fish Level 4

A few months ago I would have said refunds were not justifiable due to the still functioning rest of of CC tools.  I also would have said that anyone who is losing a significant amount of production time due to 2015 is a fool for not immediately going back to 2014.   I don't see why any right minded person would gamble with deadlines or  destroying their profit margin when they could simply use 2014.  The only logical explanation for that would be that those people do not actually WORK...but are just hobbyists looking for a refund.

Having said all that...I found out a couple of days ago that Adobe has a Beta Testers program.  I found out that people who sign up to be beta testers for adobe recieve their CC subscriptions free of charge.  So what I suggest is that Adobe do one of two things: 1)  "Recall" After Effects 2015 entirely with an explanation and apology and leave it's beta testing in the hands of it's "paid" beta testers.  2) If not number one, then for as long as they are asking the entire AE user base to act as beta testers, those people should receive their entire CC subscription for free just the way those who sign up for beta testing do.

This is not because im losing production time....people who are losing production time are doing so by choice.  Because you beata testers who get their subscription for free.

Think of it like this.  To you people who are struggling at all with 2015 and upset about it.  In addition to whatever damages you think are being inflicted on you, you are at the same time providing Adobe with a service they are not paying you for by using 2015 and reporting bugs.   If you would like to expedite either the fixing of AE or financial restitution what you should all be doing is NOT touching 2015 with a ten foot pole.  Don't use it. don't test it.  I mean by going back to 2014 what are you really missing out on other than the bugs?

If (hypothetically) there were some sort of class action suit against Adobe.  It would not be helpful if they could show usage logs of everyone using 2015.   STOP USING IT

• 31. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                      b1kma8ic

Same problems here. Constant lock up on start. Undo's hang. 3D rotation ruins keyframes. I only upgraded because of new OS install - big mistake. Tired of paying for broken software. Will definitely move back to 2014...

• 32. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                        zeckrs

hello friends .... same problems here, andy-mario ...

waiting for an urgent correction.

abs.

olá amigos.... mesmos problemas aqui, andy-mario ...

aguardando uma correção urgênte.

abs.

• 33. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                          andy-mario Level 1

Hi,

today on another thread Todd Kopriva (Adobe) told everyone a fix is coming next week!

In the meantime you can roll back to previous version or stick with "purging memory" every undo you make.

Due to the fact that a fix is coming I will be patiently keeping on purging memory.

Bye.

• 34. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                            kanadiou Level 1

new shortcut i've never used before : ctrl + alt + numpad /

Maybe on next alpha or beta, adobe will delete undo and save commands, they are not useful...

• 35. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you'd like to help us to test the After Effects CC 2015 (13.6.1) update---which fixes the stale image bug and a few others---you can request access to the prerelease testing program here:

https://www.adobeprerelease.com/

Choose the "Private programs" tab and click Apply to apply for the "After Effects CC 2015 (13.6.1) patch update" program.

• 36. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The After Effects CC 2015 (13.6.1) bug-fix update is available. It fixes several bugs, including the Undo issue being discussed on this thread.

Details: http://adobe.ly/1QqMMc6

Let us know how things work after you have installed the update.

• 37. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                                  thunderbat Level 1

When working with the 13.6.1 update it kind of feels like the problem's been worked around, like "let's spam-some redraw function call-at every timeline related event", rather than fixed. When you for example move the play head, there can be a painfully long delay, before the comp window updates.

Sometimes it updates "half way", clears the window but doesn't draw the update. Like in the image below.

Screenshot 2015-12-14 14.01.14.png

• 38. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                                    andy-mario Level 1

Thanks Todd, that's good news.

I still can's see the upgrade (windows), I tried the usual: restart, logout/login from CC, quit and restart CC application, nothing.

Do I just have to wait for some propagation of the update?

Thanks

• 39. Re: Latest update (13.6) major problems
                                                                                      katharina161277

I also can't see the update. Help-Update inside After Effects does not work, the Cloud Desktop App does not work... Anybody some suggetions ???

Thanks.

1 2 Previous Next