8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 1:46 PM by jays87825678

Colour Grading in Color Finesse

jays87825678

Colour Grading in Color Finesse: I colour correct/grade using the small preview screen I see in the plug-in. However, once i close the plug-in and apply the effects the preview in after effects shows completely different colours and a much flatter image?

When colour grading using Color Finesse I know what i'm doing in terms of each of the sliders and I get the preview looking the way I want it to in the plug-in. However the minute I click 'ok' and apply the effects to the shot in my composition, the preview shows a much 'flatter image'.

This is the after effects preview:

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 14.44.51.png

This is the plug-in preview:

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 14.45.20.png

I'm quite a beginner when it comes to the world of colour grading so I might be doing something quite obviously wrong. Please help :-)

Thanks,

Jay

• 1. Re: Colour Grading in Color Finesse
          Vinay Dwivedi Adobe Employee

Hi,

Do you have any Working space set for the project or any interpretations applied on the footage(s)?

Also, have you used any Display Color Management ?

Please provide us some information regarding OS, tech specs of the machine, Comp settings, footage information and Project settings as well.

//Vinay

• 2. Re: Colour Grading in Color Finesse
            Bob Currier Level 3

The current version of Color Finesse ignores AE's color management, so if you have color management enabled (a working space or footage interpretation enabled) you'll see a difference between the Color Finesse full interface and AE's own preview display.

You avoid this issue if you use Color Finesse's Simplified UI in the effects control window.

Bob Currier

Synthetic Aperture

• 3. Re: Colour Grading in Color Finesse
              jays87825678 Level 1

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your response. Like I said I really am a beginner to after effects so i'm not entirely sure what you mean by color management. I had a quick google and tried to find how to disable it and the option that usually lets you is greyed out for me:
              Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 22.52.27.png

I would use the simple interface but I quite like the full interface's secondary options that let me bring some life back into the skin tones. Any further help?

• 4. Re: Colour Grading in Color Finesse
                jays87825678 Level 1

Hi Vinay

I don't think so, I haven't set any work spaces or added any footage interpretations. Like I said to Bob, display color management is grayed out: Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 22.52.27.png

In terms of specs I'm using a mid 2011 Macbook Pro:

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 23.08.11.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-02 at 23.08.20.png

Comp settings:

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 23.09.05.png

• 5. Re: Colour Grading in Color Finesse
                  Bob Currier Level 3

In Project Settings check that Color Management is off, as in this grab:

AEProjectSettingsWorkingSpace.png

You want to make sure that Working Space is set to "None".

Also, what type of footage is this that you're color correcting? Does the problem occur if you try a different type of footage?

Any chance you can send us the problem footage? You can send a Dropbox (or whatever) link to us directly via the email address support "at" synthetic-ap.com.

Bob Currier

Synthetic  Aperture

• 6. Re: Colour Grading in Color Finesse
                    jays87825678 Level 1

Yes working space is set to "None".
                    I'm sending a "We transfer" link to you if that is okay? All footage files are of the same type (.mts) and i'm having the same issue with .mov and .mp4 files.

(I am very rushed with this project as the deadline is friday at noon).

[email address removed by forum moderator: Email signatures and personal information ]

• 7. Re: Colour Grading in Color Finesse
                      Bob Currier Level 3

I've been experimenting with the footage you sent and I'm not able to see any mismatch between the Color Finesse preview and the AE preview.

There are two settings that can produce a mismatch. They should be set correctly by default, but you should check them just to be certain.

In the Color Finesse UI Preferences, in the General tab, make sure that the Use Traditional Gamma checkbox is checked.

And in AE's Project Settings, in the Color Settings group, make sure that the Match Legacy After Effects QuickTime Gamma Adjustments checkbox is checked.

See if that helps in your case.

Bob Currier

Synthetic Aperture

• 8. Re: Colour Grading in Color Finesse
                        jays87825678 Level 1

Hi Bob,

I've tried the suggested steps and whilst "Match Legacy After Effects QuickTime Gamma Adjustments" was unchecked, I checked it and nothing changed.