1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 8:49 AM by Dave LaRonde

1080i vesus 720p

MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which one is better. We have 48" Samsung Smart TVs at work and are rendering promotional videos and welcome screens to them. Mostly logos and type with some video footage.

Going with 720p would give us smaller files and faster renders, but 108i would have more pixels and possibly better quality. I believe that most TV actual resolution is 1,366 x 768, so is that maybe that is actually the best resolution to render to for smaller file size and optimal quality?

So I plan on trying all 3 options, and was wondering what your experience is at to which is best?

1,920 x 1,080 interlaced ( field render on)

1 280 x 720 progressive ( field render off)

1,366 x 768 I believe progressive

Wish I could play the videos side by side at same time to compare, but they are in different rooms.

• 1. Re: 1080i vesus 720p
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Personally, I like 1280x720 @ 59.94 FPS... a LOT.

I think it's fine on big video monitors -- I look at 48-inch one just above my edit station monitors from less than 3 feet away.  Things look great.

It allows for smoother motion -- more frames per second.

It's ALSO great for re-puiposing:  "Say, Mike -- let's put our promotional videos on the company web site."  You smile and say, "Sure thing!"  Your only chores become transcoding to the proper media container & codec, and transferring the files.  You don't have to worry about interlacing, which is a no-no on the web, because there isn't any!  It's all progressive!  And 720 is a fine size for web viewing.

That's my case for 720.