3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 4:57 AM by rob day

How can I save a SWF and open it on different platforms?

samanthac57403108

I have added a 'turn the page' transition to my document and have had to save it as a SWF file. This has created a HTML where I can turn the page but when I email the link to other colleagues they cannot open it. What do I do so that I can upload this or email to other people?

• 1. Re: How can I save a SWF and open it on different platforms?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Why are you using SWF? It’s use is highly limited in this world of mobile devices.

If you insist you need to upload the entire package to a web host and email a link. But that won’t help anyone on a mobile device.

I strongly suggest you reconsider this approach.

• 2. Re: How can I save a SWF and open it on different platforms?
            Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

You should be able to email the original SWF to anyone. They will be able to view it on any computer that has a Flash Player installed. They can get the Flash Player at: https://get.adobe.com/shockwave

You can embed the SWF file as part of an HTML page. However, I have experienced many problems with some browsers on some platforms not being able to play the SWF.

For instance, Adobe says that the Chrome browser automatically has the SWF browser installed, but I sometimes can't get those swf files to play.

But what's frustrating is many of your co-horts, clients, etc. won't be able to see or play the swf file as new computers don't automatically have a swf browser installed.

And no tablets or phones have any kind of swf player installed natively. I've seen some mentions of external apps to play swf or flv files. But again, you cant rely on anyone being able to see swf files on tablets or phones without jumping through a lot of hoops.

The page curl/turn transition is fun. But as Bob said, it may not be worth it.

• 3. Re: How can I save a SWF and open it on different platforms?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For instance, Adobe says that the Chrome browser automatically has the SWF browser installed, but I sometimes can't get those swf files to play.

The player is built into Chrome—there's no plugin to install, so everything is always up-to-date. I've noticed that Chrome will not play local HTML/SWF files when the SWF is trying to load other assets, which I'm sure is for security reasons. If the HTML, SWF and its assets are on the same web server there shouldn't be a problem.