10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 6:12 PM by jeremyc4198530

White background darkens

jeremyc4198530

I made a short video in Character Animator, which I import in After Effects and place on top of a solid white background with RGB values of 255 255 255. When I render the video through Media Encoder the background darkens slightly to RGB values of 253 253 253. I'm embedding the video into an e-learning presentation with a solid white background and this slight change makes the borders of the video visible which is a problem. Sorry I'm not very tech savy but does anyone have any insight into why it renders darker or how to solve the problem? Thanks!

• 1. Re: White background darkens
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What render settings did you use?

• 2. Re: White background darkens
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, line art against a solid white background will not compress well to MPEG (H.264). NTSC and PAL  formats may have quite limits of 235. Personally I would never use a large pure white background on a video unless I could deliver a lossless or nearly lossless product to a client and I was positive that they would not screw it up.

If you really need a pure white background then we need to know exactly what your workflow was to get to the render phase of your project and how you intend to deliver it.

• 3. Re: White background darkens
              jeremyc4198530 Level 1

Not even sure this is what you're looking for.

I made the puppet in illustrator with the settings of the puppet template provided by character animator, imported the puppet into the animator and recorded the scene. Then, imported the recorded scene into after effects File>Scripts>New Comp From Character Animator Recording.jsx  

Added the white layer underneath then added it to the media encoder queue

capture1.PNG

If you need more specific information, tell me exactly what it is. I'm very new to this, so I don't know what you would need to help me troubleshoot this.

• 4. Re: White background darkens
                jeremyc4198530 Level 1

The video is going to be embedded in an Articulate Storyline presentation and published for html5. Storyline converts all video files to .mp4 when publishing to html5 that's why I was using that format.

• 5. Re: White background darkens

On a different note, access to Creative Cloud means you have access to older versions of things. Get an older version of Adobe Media Encoder and you can create an FLV or F4V file. One of them supports alpha (but I can't remember which one off-hand). If Articulate supports it, awesome; problem solved!

• 6. Re: White background darkens
                    jeremyc4198530 Level 1

FLV supports the alpha channel, but articulate only supports it when publishing to the flash player. This project is publishing to html5, where articulate automatically converts all videos to mp4. That's why I was rendering in mp4. That definitely would work though for publishing for the flash player... kind of a slight drawback with articulate at the moment. Good idea though.

• 7. Re: White background darkens

Darn! Thought it was worth a go.

Any chance you can make the background of the project match the white tone of the video's background?

What version of each software are you using? I know some color issues were changed in AE version 13.6

What happens if you render an intermediate out of AE's render queue and then use the Adobe Media Encoder to make your MP4?

• 8. Re: White background darkens
                        jeremyc4198530 Level 1

Changing the background of the project might be the solution I have to go with. I just updated yesterday to 13.6. I tried rendering as an AVI from AE render queue, then converting it .mp4 but I got the same result..

• 9. Re: White background darkens
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's the mp4 setting that's causing the problem. You could try enabling color management. Again, the edges of your Character Animator puppet will not like being right next to pure white (255). You might try making the project 32 bit and jacking up the background to 1.01, then rendering directly to H.264 by running the project directly through the AME.

• 10. Re: White background darkens
                            jeremyc4198530 Level 1

What I ended up doing was making the video dimensions the full size of my presentation, and making it the bottom layer. Then everything else in my slides just lays right on top of it and no ones the wiser. The difference in whites was only noticeable when I tried to put a small slightly darker video on top of a pure white background... but making the video the size of the entire background and building my slides on top of it ended up working out fairly easily. Thanks for all of your suggestions!!