5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 4:01 AM by yaBoyButcherBoy

Getting the text to appear on screen as you say.

yaBoyButcherBoy Level 1

Obviously i am new to Premiere. Im using Adobe Premiere Elements 14 and i need help.

What i am wanting to do it have words appear on the screen as i say them. Its difficult to explain, so ill add an example of what i am looking for in the following links:

FUNNY MONTAGE #3 - YouTube

Here Pewdiepie gets the word on the screen as he is saying it in his commentary. Is there an easy way to do this? I feel that manually placing ech word in and cchossing its duration will be very very time consuming.

Would be grateful for any help!

• 1. Re: Getting the text to appear on screen as you say.
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

yaboybutcherboy wrote:

I feel that manually placing ech word in and cchossing its duration will be very very time consuming.

You can create a title template or create a text style, but you will still have to keyframe the position and scale manually.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Applying styles to text and graphics

• 2. Re: Getting the text to appear on screen as you say.
            yaBoyButcherBoy Level 1

Howd do you mean create a title template or create text style? Ive tried placing a word in each video box, but there arent enough boxes to fit all the words in.

• 3. Re: Getting the text to appear on screen as you say.
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

yaBoyButcherBoy wrote:

Howd do you mean create a title template or create text style?

See the link provided above:

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Applying styles to text and graphics

• 4. Re: Getting the text to appear on screen as you say.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

yaBOyButcherBoy

Getting the text to appear on screen as you say it is easy and quick enough. In the Expert workspace, you just place text file produced in the Titler on Video Track 2 directly above the video on Video Track 1 where you want it to appear.

The part where there are no shortcuts is the creation of the text effects, motions, styles, scaling, positioning with or without keyframing to vary the effect across a single clip.

As I am typing this reply, I notice that you have asked about "Ive tried placing a word in each video box, but there aren''t enough boxes to fit all the words in"

This makes me think that you are in the Quick workspace. The Titler is the place where you create text titles in Premiere Elements projects, and it can be accessed Text Menu/New Text/Default Text or via the Titles & Text Tab/.

Suggestions...

1. If you have not already, review creating text titles in the Titler before you focus on Text Styles, effects, motion, etc each alone. Work in the Expert workspace so that you can see what is happening better and thus have more control of the workflow.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Creating titles

The following has me wondering about how you are creating text now when you write

"Ive tried placing a word in each video box, but there aren''t enough boxes to fit all the words in"

2. To expedite matters, please tell us the word that you seem to be spreading letter per letter in each of the Quick workspace Filmstrip spaces. And, how you are going about doing this step by step.....just to make sure I have not misinterpreted what you have described for your current workflow.

I will post a detailed example once I am sure that we are OK in the exchange of the basic creating text titles details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Getting the text to appear on screen as you say.
                  yaBoyButcherBoy Level 1

Ok, so ive put together my first video and here you can see the effect i was trying to create: https://youtu.be/5Ytwrf1xgi8?t=319

So i did it a couple of times throughout the video and i started to use the expert tab like you suggested

To make this video (not including recording time) it probably took the best part of 4/5 hours. Now this was my first ever video so a lot of that time was spent learning how to do stuff. But do you know (or anyone else reading this know) a more efficent way of doing this 'text as you speak' effect? How i did i was literally adding text to the video and then aligning it up with the audio, making it appear as soon as i said the word.

I had so much fun making it, but im very cautious that when i increase my upload frequency i will struggle to find the time to edit too often, so if anyone knows any hints let me know!

Thanks!