4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 11:08 AM by rob day

Return Type of Space in InDesign

melaniem54409324

I am pretty new to InDesign.  I have groups of text within a text box and I want to add extra space (similar to a return) in between the groups of text.  I do not want to use leading to space out all the lines.  If I try to add in a return it treats it as a column break.  For example, I have goal, purpose, team.  Each topic has two lines of text but I want extra space in between the three topics.  Same with bullet points.  I would like more space in between the bullet point lines, not within the line of the text in a single bullet point.

• 1. Re: Return Type of Space in InDesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You want to add Space Before or Space After (or maybe both) to the paragraph attribute, preferably in a style definition.

• 2. Re: Return Type of Space in InDesign
            melaniem54409324 Level 1

Thank you for the response.  I am not that familiar with style definitions.  Could you give me a little more guidance? 

• 3. Re: Return Type of Space in InDesign
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Every paragraph has a paragraph style assigned. If you don't create a new one and assign it, the default style, [Basic Paragraph], will be used. You work with paragraph styles through the Paragraph Styles panel (Window > Styles > Paragraph Styles). You can define a new style for any type of paragraph formatting -- you should have a style for each class of paragraph you will use in your document, unless it is so short that making changes manually throughout the file is not a problem -- headings, bulleted lists, body text, etc. You can base one style on another and it will inherit any formatting from its parent that you don't explicitly change. You'll find the settings for Space Before or After in the Indents and Spacing section of the style definition dialog.

There are topic on using styles in the Help files, or you might want to pick up a copy of Sandee Cohen's Visual QuickStart to InDesign book, the most commonly recommended beginners guide.

• 4. Re: Return Type of Space in InDesign
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you give me a little more guidance?

To illustrate, here all of the text leading is 14pt, and I'm creating a half space between paragraphs via the Paragraph panel's Space Below. Then all of the paragraph's attributes can be saved as a Paragraph Style, which I've named Bullet List.

Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 1.47.12 PM.png