3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 8:32 PM by Akash Sharma

Lightroom plugin's on external drive?

kier42

I'm trying to get ready to start working with 2 computers and I want to keep all of my Lightroom catalogues as well as plugins on an external drive that I can move between computers so all my settings are the same.  Is this possible?  I know that it's easy to move the Lightroom catalogue to an external drive, but I wonder about presets and plugin folders being moved?

• 1. Re: Lightroom plugin's on external drive?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi kier42

It is possible to keep your Catalog,images,Plugins on an external drive.

I would recommend you to store your Presets with the Lightroom catalog itself.Its been there  purposely  to allow you to carry presets, templates etc with you when your catalogue resides on an external hard drive and you frequently attach it to other computer.

Image result for store presets with Lightroom catalog

This will also help you to locate them easily in External harddrive.

Regards

Akash

• 2. Re: Lightroom plugin's on external drive?
            kier42 Level 1

Thank you.  Do you have to manually track down all of your presets & templates?  When I selected keep presets with catalog it just show default templates.

• 3. Re: Lightroom plugin's on external drive?
              Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

This is only for third party presets you save

When you check this option It creates a Folder called 'Lightroom Settings' which is stored in the same folder as the catalog that is currently open.

Lightroom will write any new user presets that the user creates into the appropriate sub-folder within the Lightroom Settings folder (e.g. a new develop preset will be stored in [Catalog Folder]>Lightroom Settings>Develop Presets>User Presets).

Do you have to manually track down all of your presets & templates

Yes ,You could see all your presets in Lightroom from Catalog Setings>>Show Lr Ppresets Folder

By default the location is:-

/Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/[preset or template folder]/[preset or template filename.lrtemplate (MAC)

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\[preset or template folder]\[preset or template filename.lrtemplate] (Windows)

~Akash