9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2015 8:29 AM by akcol

Can I update Creative Suite Premium from 5.5 to 6 without using/buying Creative Cloud?

akcol

Hi, no doubt this issue has been flogged to death - but I have to ask, since I simply can't afford a monthly package - can I update my C5.5 with the current C6 without buying a monthly Cloud package?

I'd read somewhere that faithful owners of the Creative Suites with the most current copies could do so.

Hoping!

Thanks!

Colleen

• 2. Re: Can I update Creative Suite Premium from 5.5 to 6 without using/buying Creative Cloud?
          terris86415680 Adobe Community Professional

Sheena gave you the URL for the standard version. You might like to know the Premium version is also available-just enter it in the SEARCH box. I should say that users on the forum . have reported difficulties in buying from the Middle East store , when they are based outside that region. I haven't tried a purchase myself so its really a case of trying and see. I think you will find CS6 in general is now discontinued as far as American and Western European Adobe stores are concerned.

Terri

cs6.png

• 3. Re: Can I update Creative Suite Premium from 5.5 to 6 without using/buying Creative Cloud?
            Sheena Kaul Adobe Employee

Well CS6 Production premium and Design and Web Premium is available on adobe Store.

• 4. Re: Can I update Creative Suite Premium from 5.5 to 6 without using/buying Creative Cloud?

Hi Sheena,

wasn't meaning to be critical, but I know of three companies in the UK that have tried to buy Photoshop CS6 on the India, Middle East and Far East store with no success. Can you confirm if CS6 is now downloadable or only available after a phone consultation?

This is an official Adobe statement I found:

Yes, you can still buy CS6 products by contacting a regional Adobe call center, but we highly recommend Creative Cloud because it features all the latest creative software, including more than 500 features that have been added since Creative Suite 6. To purchase by phone in North America, call 800-585-0774.

If you call the European number they tell you its unavailable. So its very confusing what adobe's policy is on this now.

• 5. Re: Can I update Creative Suite Premium from 5.5 to 6 without using/buying Creative Cloud?
                akcol Level 1

You guys are great! Thank you so much for the excellent info.

Ironic. Literally just left the UAE and India, where I could have walked into a store for a hands on purchase/consult. Sigh.

So best is to call a center, tell them my need (C6 upgrade, US region able) and hope for the best with a download versus having to use Creative Cloud for C6 (prohibitive costs for 'wee enterprises like me) - correct?

Hmm. I have a friend still in the middle east. Any advantage to him going into an Adobe store/center to actually purchase a hardcopy disc, assuming he can get a US region-able copy?

I'm not adverse to the download only ...just sucks we've not been given the one time purchase choice as faithful Adobe consumers for so long.

Thanks again for the info/insight. Very appreciated, as is this community!

• 6. Re: Can I update Creative Suite Premium from 5.5 to 6 without using/buying Creative Cloud?
                  akcol Level 1

Update: just tried to purchase from the middle east/Africa store link. No 'local' phone number, so denied:(

I've asked my friend there to consider doing the purchase for me locally, or lending me his local number so I can do so.

I'll call the N. A phone number MissTake listed, when they open pacific time (I'm in Alaska).

So yah...no go so far.

• 7. Re: Can I update Creative Suite Premium from 5.5 to 6 without using/buying Creative Cloud?
                    akcol Level 1

On the phone with Adobe now. CS Standard and Premium 6 IS available for purchase, WITH a [read outloud] disclaimer that the product is sold as is. The sales dude explained it's not because Adone does't warranty their products, but rather that when OS platforms change dramatically (like Apple's El Capitane), the 4 year old CS 6 (2013) isn't designed with such changes in mind - so lots of bugs and watches needed - whereas the creative cloud versions offers a more direct/fast/easier route for patches, or less need for them.

At least that's what my 'wee computer savvy brain heard:)

He said on forums, folks are having difficulty making it work (yup, common experience for us whenever OS and new editions come out, sigh), and that after trying, if I don't have success, call in as soon as possible for a refund. And, that he personally would not buy this version...I assume because he's a cloud based man.

I bought, and will download. Even if it tides me over for a little time, while Adobe and Apple fine tunes the process of cloud based stuff, to hopefully make it price comparable to the lesser cost upgrades.

He confirmed Adobe has no plans to make a CS7, but eventual/soon plans to phase out CS6 in anything but a Creative Cloud format: download and support.

And, no plans to offer discounts to new cloud users, but perhaps discounts in the future for cloud users, since they never got break for being the first to sign on at the new expense.

Alright, off to download. Meet y'all on the troubleshooting forums...actually I hope not:)

Thanks for your help all!

• 8. Re: Can I update Creative Suite Premium from 5.5 to 6 without using/buying Creative Cloud?

I'm glad its worked out for you. Creative Cloud is excellent, but so is CS6 and for most people does everything that they want. I don't really understand why Adobe don't offer CC as a subscription product and as a direct purchase as many people prefer to own the software outright. I suspect though if they did the Photoshop/Lightroom subscription would still be most popular because it really is such good value for money. $10 a month for something costing $1000 to buy is 100 months of ownership or 8.5 years before ownership becomes cheaper. Even for an upgrade costing $400 that's still 3.5 years and of course with the subscription model you don't have to pay $200 every 18 months for updates. I can see Adobe's worry with CS6 and new operating systems though.

Terri

• 9. Re: Can I update Creative Suite Premium from 5.5 to 6 without using/buying Creative Cloud?
                        akcol Level 1

Thanks T,

Such a great set of programs, I'll really happy I could upgrade.

Agreed re: pricing. Hopefully the info gleaned from (loyal, longtime!) customers, over recent years since the changes will help Adobe make better decisions with our precious resources in future.

Did you have any issue upgrading InDesign, or with Muse showing up?

So far, all programs opening, but InDesign showing as 5.5 still, and no Muse.

Hopefully I don't have to reload the whole package. Will try a couple of things, then call Adobe.

Cheers!

Colleen