13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 6:28 AM by dj_paige

Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac

Mike1arooau

I have migrated Lightroom CC from a PC to a Mac. Everything went very well (all images visible together with edits, keywords, metadata etc.

However my Collections didn't make the trip! When I go to my collections list (which did migrate) I have a series of thumbnails showing which are blank except for an exclamation mark and the image filename.

I then click on that and navigate to the image in my new Mac HD. The following messages appear when I click on the filename:

"The file is already associated with another photo in the catalogue. Each file can only be associated with one photo"

It seems to me that Lightroom collections needs to be "pointed towards" the images (I did keep my file tree identical) to associate them properly. However I'm stuck and with over 40,000 images I really can't face

going through one by one.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Cheers

Mike

• 1. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Mike1arooau,

Well, You need to properly relocate the images in Lightroom Catalog with there new location, once the location is updated then you will be able access all the images in Collections.

Refer the link for relocating the files & folder in Lightroom: How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac
            Mike1arooau Level 1

Hi Mohit,

Thanks for the ideas - no joy yet but you may have opened a door.

I had my photos on the PC in my "F" drive. Now I've just noticed that in my catalog on the Mac I am showing:

Previous import                        45,304 files    (These files are all visible in the grid view complete with thumbnails, metadata, keywords etc)

Previous export as catalog      46,462 files     (invisible - showing exclamation marks)

Missing photographs                46,503 files     (invisible - showing exclamation marks)

The 46,503 is a combination of 32 images I had on my Desktop and the images on my "F" drive. The "F" drive no longer exists as it was on my PC.

(I simply exported it as a catalogue to a portable drive, which I then Imported as a catalog onto my Mac)

If I were to delete the "F" drive from my catalog could that solve the problem by preventing the Mac from thinking there were two sources of images?

I really appreciate your efforts to resolve this, its driving me more nuts than I usually am!

Thanks

Mike

• 3. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac
              99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you seeing a tab for F drive in the LR Library?

If so what happens if you click to expand it>. Are your previous folders listed?

If so try right-clicking (control-click) on a top level folder and choose "Update Folder Location" then navigate to the drive on your Mac or external drive to choose the corresponding folder.

• 4. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac
                Mike1arooau Level 1

Hi thanks for joining in.

Yes the "F" drive tab is showing in catalog, but everything is greyed out with exclamation marks as I no longer have the F drive. All photos are now visible in the Mac HD drive

All folders are listed in the "F" drive as they are in the equally "blank" Collections tab.

I did look at combining the folders after your response but that created a folder with 92,000+ images, half of which were blank. I quickly Command + Z out of that.

I was thinking that if I removed the non existent "F" drive than I should (hopefully) be able to point the collection "exclamation marked" files at the Mac HD drive. Does that seem feasible?

Cheers

Mike

• 5. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac

How did you export the catalog? Did you select All Photographs include all negatives and previews?

That should have imported the catalog and images.

Where have the image files that were previously on your F drive been placed on your Mac? Are they all in Pictuires?

• 6. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac
                    dj_paige Level 9

Mike1arooau wrote:

Hi Mohit,

Thanks for the ideas - no joy yet but you may have opened a door.

I had my photos on the PC in my "F" drive. Now I've just noticed that in my catalog on the Mac I am showing:

Previous import                        45,304 files    (These files are all visible in the grid view complete with thumbnails, metadata, keywords etc)

Previous export as catalog      46,462 files     (invisible - showing exclamation marks)

Missing photographs                46,503 files     (invisible - showing exclamation marks)

The 46,503 is a combination of 32 images I had on my Desktop and the images on my "F" drive. The "F" drive no longer exists as it was on my PC.

(I simply exported it as a catalogue to a portable drive, which I then Imported as a catalog onto my Mac)

If I were to delete the "F" drive from my catalog could that solve the problem by preventing the Mac from thinking there were two sources of images?

I really appreciate your efforts to resolve this, its driving me more nuts than I usually am!

Thanks

Mike

Your mistake was that you imported all the photos. This is never the proper method.

If I were you, I'd start over with the catalog on the old computer, move that to the new computer, DO NOT IMPORT ANY PHOTOS, DO NOT EXPORT CATALOG AND DO NOT IMPORT CATALOG, open the moved catalog on the new computer and then reconnect all folders using these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 7. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac
                      Mike1arooau Level 1

To the best of my knowledge I "exported as a catalog" and I can now see all the images that I directed to Pictures on my Mac's HD, together with all their reviews, metadata and keywords.

So in effect the catalog and images are all OK its just that the previous Collections I had on my old PC are now unable to locate their source and if I click on an individual image (all greyed out in the collection)

then I get the file name pop up - I locate the file and try to re-establish the linkage, but am told that:

"The file is already associated with another photo in the catalogue. Each file can only be associated with one photo".

• 8. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac
                        dj_paige Level 9

No, the catalog is not okay. That is why you are having these problems.

You have stated above that you have 45,304 files from the previous import. This is the problem. You should not have done an import. This causes problems in your catalog. This is why I advise you to start over with a copy of the catalog from the old computer.

Please read and follow these instructions on how to move Lightroom from one computer to another. Please note, there is no importing of photos, there is no exporting catalogs, there is no importing catalogs. The method is simply copy the files, open the catalog on the new computer, and then reconnect the photos. http://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

• 9. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac

You need to forget the collections. It's necessary to re-link the folders which LR thinks are still on the F drive. Once you re-link the folders the collections will take care of themselves.

The other alternative is to use Paige's method - copy the catlaog (lrcat file) on the Windows machine and put it in the Lightroom folder on the Mac (usually Pictures by default) to replace the lrcat file that you have already imported. Double-click (control-click) to launch the copied catalog. You can then re-link with the image files.

Otherwise can you take screen shots (Cmd+Shift+3) of the open Folders panel and your pictures folder and upload them from the desktop. After you click reply on this web page, click on the camera icon to add images to your message.

• 10. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac
                            dj_paige Level 9

You need to forget the collections. It's necessary to re-link the folders which LR thinks are still on the F drive. Once you re-link the folders the collections will take care of themselves.

In order to do this, he would need to first delete from Lightroom (but not from the hard disk) the 45,304 photos that he mistakenly imported. If he doesn't do this, then he will continue to get the message "The file is already associated with another photo in the catalogue. Each file can only be associated with one photo".

• 11. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac

Yes copying the catalog is easiest. It will then launch as a new catalog.

• 12. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac
                                Mike1arooau Level 1

Gentlemen, the three of you are brilliant! Many many thanks.

I renamed the originally imported Lrcat &, Previews to disable them and copied in the original Lrcat from my old PC.

The Mac/Lightroom then became unaware of the images I'd imported incorrectly which allowed me to re-link with the images. Sweet relief, it worked.

Once again I'm indebted - and I've learnt something too. Thanks for the imparting of wisdom.

Cher

Mike

• 13. Re: Problems accessing Collections after migrating from PC to Mac
                                  dj_paige Level 9

Whew! Well, I'm glad to hear that it worked for you.