3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 12:09 AM by tonylives

Which GTX970 Card?

tonylives Level 1

Trying to figure out which GTX970 card to purchase for an old build I just upgraded with a i7-4930K CPU.  Frankly, there way are too many choices.

One factor is whether to look for one with HDMI 2.0

Would just like to know what make/model of cards have worked well for folks.  Card is going into an ASUS P9X79PRO MB.

• 1. Re: Which GTX970 Card?
          Alexander Eberhard Level 1

Have a look at the EVGA FTW series. Very reliable and powerful.

• 2. Re: Which GTX970 Card?
            JEShort01 Level 4

Tonylives,

There sure are a lot of options! Your main decision is reference design (best for cooling in a workstation that doesn't have excellent air flow across your GPU slot area) or non-reference (best overall cooling; 2 or 3 large fans are cooling the card, but lots of the heated air is dumped back into your case).

So far as HDMI 2.0 goes, that has a lot of positive press, but there don't seem to be many monitors that support / excel with that standard yet. I am enjoying my relatively new LG 31" 4k monitor, but I have to use a Displayport cable in order to get 60Hz refresh.

And finally, brand. There are lots out there. I'd suggest checking over Newegg reviews (how many "stars" do actual users of each card rate) to vet out any lemons in the group. I personally like EVGA, large and solid supplier, but they do sometimes cost a bit more for largely the same hardware.

Regards,

Jim

• 3. Re: Which GTX970 Card?
              tonylives Level 1

I ended up with the ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5, because newegg had a sale that brought it below $300.  Seems to be humming along in my pc now.  Sags quite a bit though and I'm thinking to throw a little support for it into the case.