12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2015 5:56 PM by Just Shoot Me

Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7

mbaumser

I keep all my images on a single hard drive and then keep two backups (I'm paranoid about drive failures).  Let's call the drives D:Originals,  E:Backup1, and F:Backup2.  I use a product called Syncback and nightly it mirrors D -> E.  Weekly it Mirrors E: -> F:

Here's my problem.  When I select the D: parent in the Folders section and choose "Synchronize folder" Lightroom pulls in about 4000 images from drive F: and creates an F: folder.   It doesn't pull in any from drive E:  (which is correct as they are duplicates). 

So my questions are 1) Why isn't lightroom recognizing that these images are duplicates of cataloged images   2) is there anyway to tell lightroom to exclude drive F:

Thanks

Marc

• 1. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi mbaumser,

If you use D as a Parent drive in Lightroom catalog, then it should not show Drive F as Drive, you must have import some images from that Drive F that's why its listed there.

You can disconnect the unwanted drive when you work with Lightroom and always have D drive connected as its a parent drive.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Import photos from a folder on a hard drive

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7
            mbaumser Level 1

Thanks but E: and F: are internal drives (desktop tower) so disconnecting them isn't an option.  I believe D: is set as the parent drive. but I'm not 100% sure.

• 3. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Select a Folder on the F: drive in the 'Folder' panel of Lightroom, Right-Click on the folder and select "Remove". Repeat for any other folders under the F: Drive header.  CAUTION- Be sure you have selected the F:Drive folders!

Notes:

If you have edited/developed any images on the F: Drive then 'Removing' those will mean the edits are lost. Your develop work only stays in the catalog if the files remain in the Lightroom library.

The Right-Click [Remove.] removes folders and contained images from the Lightroom Catalog but does not delete them from the hard-drive.

If all your images on D: Drive are the ones you have developed, there should be no problem 'removing' F:Drive folders as they are mirrored backups of your original files.

• 4. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7
                mbaumser Level 1

Wobertc,

I've done that.  Than selected the D: drive and synchronized and LR will bring back the images on F:  What's weird is that it's not all the images on F:

Is it possible that my Catalog is somehow corrupted?   I wonder if deleting the catalog and re-importing all the images from D: would resolve this?

Marc

• 5. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7

Re-importing is always a 'last resort' since it deletes ALL your editing you have ever done in Lightroom!

Yes something weird is happening.

Do you 'Synchronize' by a right-click on a FOLDER, or the DRIVE NAME header?

Try Synchronize from a folder in the D:Drive.

• 6. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The only way the E or F drive would show up in the LR Library modules folder pane is if you imported images from those drive. So at some point you have imported something from those 2 backup drives. More than likely you have multiple copies of the same images displaying in LR.

• 7. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7
                      mbaumser Level 1

I definitely have multiple copies in LR now.  If I delete the images from F: from within LR.  The mirror software copies the backup and replaces those images...and then LR re-imports them when I synchronize

• 8. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7
                        mbaumser Level 1

Wobertc,

synchronizing from a folder inside D: works as expected.

When you say reimporting deletes all my edits  does that mean all the RAW image edits (changes to WB , crop, etc) are lost?

Marc

• 9. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7

Remove images from the Catalog, Not from the Drive. If you select the images and hit the Delete key or right click and select Remove Images you get a dialog window that asks "Remove from Catalog" or Delete/Remove from Disk. You would select remove from Catalog. Then in the folder pane of LR Remove the Drive letter.

• 10. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7

When you say reimporting deletes all my edits  does that mean all the RAW image edits (changes to WB , crop, etc) are lost?

YES, YES, - you lose the LOT! freshly imported images are back to 'original' SOOC.

That's why I say that Re-importing is always a last resort!

Remove images from the Catalog

And as above- that is definitely a REMOVE FROM CATALOG.

This suggestion to 'Remove from Catalog' was only to get the previews of the files on the F:Drive out of the Lightroom library. It does not delete the image files off the hard-drive. 

("Delete from Disk" does delete files from the Hard-drive! Your backup procedure would re-write them.)

You are trying to 'Hide' the F:Drive from the Lightroom library catalog, and removing the F:Drive folders is a way of doing this.

BUT...if you have EDITED any of those images on the F:Drive then you lose those edits by removing them from the catalog! You would be left with the D:Drive image  previews in the Library, possibly without any edits done in Lightroom.

• 11. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7
                              mbaumser Level 1

Shootistbond007,

I've done that and it finds the images again.  clearly the catalog is corrupt. I'm just going to live with it as I'm not interested in losing my edits.

Thanks for the help

• 12. Re: Can I exclude a Harddrive LR 5.7

What exact version of LR  are you using. Go to Help>About PS Lightroom and post the Exact version number.

If it is CC 2015.2.1 or 6.2.1 you need to update to the CC 2015.3/6.3 version. I suspect you have the Utterly Stupid .2 Import Start screen active which will search every drive connected to your system for images without you asking it to so that and then try to import them.