1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 4:37 PM by Jao vdL

Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

nimaihari

I am looking to create a timelapse in Lightroom. When I select my pictures and go to export to video, the lightroom processes for awhile, then I get an error that says "Unknown Error has Occurred". I have plenty of hard drive space.

• 1. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi nimaihari,

Could you please share your complete workflow steps ?
          Are you creating a slideshow and exporting that as a video?

Share a screenshot of your export settings.

Also, make sure that the images should not be missing.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
            nimaihari Level 1

I will try to describe my "workflow"...

I go to the Library tab and select all the pictures that I want to have in my time lapse *In this case, there are close to 15K, but I have tried it with 1K - had the same problem). Once I select all the picture, I select the "Slideshow" tab. Lightroom will spend a few seconds collecting information. Once that is complete, I will select the FPS, which I have at 23.97 FPS. Then I select the "Export Video" option. I save the file to my pictures folder as 720P.

Yes - I am creating a slide show and then exporting.

I have tried to attach an image of the Export Settings, but let me know if there is a different screen (and I would appreciate if you could let me know how to get to it)

How do I determine if the images are missing?

Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try exporting the images to a temp folder and see if you get any errors, not a slideshow, just series of images that make up the slide show you're trying to export as video.  You can resize smaller if you worry about too much disk space being used.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                nimaihari Level 1

I was able to export them to a temp folder without any errors. What does that indicate?

• 6. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

That all the images exist.  If some were missing you'd've been notified at the end of the Export about how many had issues.

Did you export all 15000?  Can you export a time-lapse of 100 images or maybe 10?  You've said 1000 and 15000 both don't work but maybe there's some resource exhaustion with so many.

• 7. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                    nimaihari Level 1

I was able to export all 15K+ pictures.

I tried to export the slideshow at 15K and it did not work. I tried to reduce the number down to 100, and that did not work either. So I reduced it down to ten and that also did not work.

• 8. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                      nimaihari Level 1

Are there any other suggestions?

• 9. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

Could you please download and install Quicktime version 7 on your machine and then, try to create slideshow?

Are you able to preview and play slideshow in Lightroom?

• 10. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                          nimaihari Level 1

I downloaded the latest Quicktime version and tried to re-create the slide show but got the same error.

When I tried to preview and play the slideshow, it would process the request, but nothing would play. (I did not get the error message.)

• 11. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

Make sure your graphics card drivers are updated.

Also, may I know the version of Lightroom that you are using? Is it upto date?

• 12. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                              nimaihari Level 1

I checked the  Graphics Card and it was updated.

I am running Lightroom 6.0, Version 6.3. I also made sure the program was up to date.

I had the same error.

• 13. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

Here are the steps that you need to follow :

1.Quit Lightroom and navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\

2. Rename "video_toolkit.dll" to "video_toolkit.dll.original

3. Download the new video toolkit file from this link : https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/lightroom... 

4. Unzip the video toolkit file and copy it to the same folder from Step 2. 

5. Relaunch Lightroom and check if you are able to play slideshow and export it.

• 14. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                  nimaihari Level 1

I completed the steps that you provided. I rendered the video up to about 10% before I received he same error.

• 15. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

Were you able to play the slideshow after trying those steps?

• 16. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                      nimaihari Level 1

It would not play the slideshow. I would get a separate screen pop up like it was about to play, then it would idle out.

• 17. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

Follow the below steps :

• Quit Lightroom
                                        • Go to this path : C:\Program Files\ADOBE\Adobe Lightroom\Helpers
                                        • Rename DynamicLinkMediaServer file to DynamicLinkMediaServer-old
                                        • Relaunch Lightroom and try to play the slideshow and export it and let me know the outcome
                                        • 18. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                          nimaihari Level 1

I completed the requested steps and was not able to create a time lapse.

1. When I made the preview/play option, lightroom would process the request. I would then get a screen that made it seem like it was about to play something, but nothing would play.

2. When I tried to Export video, I would go through the process of export video -> provide a name -> export.... then it seems like nothing would happen. The progress bar at the top right with the percentage that I was getting before no longer pops up. I would try to go through the process again but this time I would get an error that says "Destination file is in use" but no follow up.

• 19. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

Thanks for your patience, nimaihari,

This issue while playing and exporting slideshow has been diagnosed by our Engineers, and will be most likely fixed in the next update.

You can rename the same folder back to the original name.

Would suggest you to wait for the next update.

• 20. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                              scottb44251384

This is my exact problem also.  I have not gone through the "fixes" you have suggested by changing numerous file names.  Whatever you thought the Engineers have figured out, have they published this fix into a particular update?  If so what is the number?

• 21. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

This should have been fixed in today's CC2015.4/6.3 release of Lightroom : Lightroom CC 2015.4 / 6.4 now available

• 22. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                  scottb44251384 Level 1

OK, I've had enough!!!!  I have upgraded Lightroom to 6.4.1 today, jumped through all the hoops Adobe has put in place, watched every tutorial the private sector has posted.  As the original poster has stated.....I CLICK ON EXPORT, ACTIVITY BAR IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER APPEARS, IT MOVES APPROX. 10% AND THEN A POP-UP STATING THAT LIGHTROOM HAS STOPPED.  With the previous poster, you now for more than 1 1/2 months told ALL OF US that it is supposed to be fixed with the next upgrade.  Give me a phone number to one of these "ENGINEERS" that thinks the fix in the next upgrade will do it.

Please NOTE:  I have taken 66 photos sequentially, imported them to Lightroom, I chose not to improve the single image and batch correct the rest as this is a simple test to go through the procedure, hoping for success for a much larger project.  My phone is: 661-255-1629.  Scott Bentley

• 23. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                    Brett N Adobe Employee

While there were some fixes for video related issues in the latest Lightroom update, the behavior you are describing here is not reproducible on our side. This means there is some unknown factor that is occurring no your side but not ours. Since Lightroom is the same program on both machines, we have to look at other differences. There are lots of possibilities. For example, if there is a third-party application that you have installed on your side but isn't installed on any of the machines we use, it would certainly explain the difference in behavior. If you could let us know what you've tried so far, we can avoid duplicating efforts.

Perhaps we could schedule a time to talk over the phone this week. I 2-5 PM Pacific would be best for me tomorrow. Noon or later on Friday would also be good.

• 24. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                      scottb44251384 Level 1

Just spent 1/2 hour writing in detail what I have done and this lovely method of communication chose to show me other ADOBE PRODUCTS by switching pages.  All is lost.  I know, IT'S ALL ON MY SIDE.  You have my phone number, you didn't give me yours, I'm down near Magic Mountain 6 flags, YOU CALL ME AT 12 NOON.  Also, I want to communicate with "nimaihari" as they gave up being told "next update, next update"....perhaps they came up with a solution.

• 25. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                        scottb44251384 Level 1

Brett N has not responded in 4 weeks, Chetna Srivastava only knows to say "it will be fixed in the next update", no phone call, no follow up but you would like me to purchase involvement in an online class for $299....not going to happen.  I would like to know if nimaihari ever got Lightroom to work concerning Time Lapse after clicking on EXPORT.  What does it take to get CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM ADOBE?

• 26. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

I agree it would be nice to have nimaihari reply as to whether the 6.4 update fixed anything for them.  Some problem was found and fixed, but maybe not whatever is happening to you.  Also, you said you installed the 6.4.1 update, which I'm not familiar with, just 6.4.

Brett offered to have a phone conversation at "I 2-5 PM" Thursday or after noon on Friday Pacific Time.  It's possible the Thursday timeframe was 2-5pm with an extraneous capital-i or lowercase-L and a space at the beginning of the sentence in front of the 2 instead of  a 1 up against the 2 to mean 12 so your proposed callback time was 2 hours prior to his availability.  Also you didn't say whether 12-noon was Thursday or Friday and that you were in the Pacific timezone.  Brett may not live in California and could have been giving you the time-zone of the Adobe headquarters and didn't feel like Googling your location of "Magic Mountain 6 flags" to see it was California and therefore Pacific Time as well.  It would seem better to have been specific and direct about which day and what timezone your "12-NOON" referred to, and perhaps clarify what "I 2-5 PM" meant.

Another possible issue is that your message about wanting a call at noon was done as a reply to a message from nimaihari not Brett and maybe Brett only sees replies that are directed back to him, specifically.  He probably sees hundreds if not thousands of forum messages every day so either he missed yours out of shear volume or has a filtering system set up to only see replies to his own messages and you'd replied to nimaihari.

--

You can try and send Brett (and nimaihari) a direct message by going to the web version of this forum discussion and hover over his name or avatar and a profile box should appear where one of the buttons says Message.  This will send a private forum message within which it would seem more appropriate to give phone number and time specific.  A public forum isn't really the place to publish a phone number as there are robots that look for such things and you'll probably start to get spam phone calls.

• 27. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                            scottb44251384 Level 1

I'VE BEEN SITTING AT THIS LAPTOP WITH NO RESPONSE FOR 4 WEEKS...this morning, not through this Adobe Community means of communication, but an actual email from Mandhir Bhatia. This person wanted me to send the Lightroom 6 .4.1? system information file, which I tried on 4 occasions then finally got it to go. I did not send the 66 sequential photos that I initially created as I was not sure the volume was letting the email get through.  Never got another response from this person.  I am POSITIVE the initial poster for this topic got FED UP with being told...next update, next update as mentioned above, it didn't do anything to correct the freeze up about 10% into the export (I guess this is rendering) process.

Are you going to try and FIX THIS PROBLEM?

• 28. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

I am just another forum user like yourself so have no ability to fix LR.

I was speculating on why you didn't get a call back, vagueness, misunderstanding the timeframe, etc.

If you are concerned about your e-mails not going through due to the size of the information payload, then upload the file or a zip of multiple files to somewhere that can handle sharing large files, like Dropbox.com or Google Drive or Sky Drive, and send them a public-share link to the files.  That way they can download the files instead of relying on e-mail that may very well have a quota or internet-security hindering the transmission.  Just the other day I was trying to send an e-mail with a few embedded pictures, and after it sat in my outbox all day I realized my local computer's virus scanner was choking on the size of the e-mail, and merely had to turn off outgoing-email-scanning in my virus scanner, temporarily, and it went through immediately, so it is possible for something between your e-mail program and the recipient to get in the way and you may never know.  I usually ask for a read-receipt on my outgoing e-mails so I can tell when someone has read them even if they don't reply right away.

It also might not hurt to find a smaller subset of a few files that show the problem, so they can more completely test the scenario.

• 29. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                                scottb44251384 Level 1

I just assumed that you were an Adobe Tech.  This is the most frustrating company to deal with...can't call them, can't get anyone to start solving anything....and it's not just me on this same subject.  These photos are coming from a DJI Phantom 3 Pro quadcopter and I'm chosing NOT to create 4K quality yet until I can resolve simple processes.  These people couldn't even solve an ongoing issue with Premier Elements 13.  I see these same issues on a Phantom 3 discussion site, FB Phantom 3 closed group with 17,000 members and now I'm sucked into a ton of money not producing anything but color grading/contrast changes.

• 30. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

What sort of computer do you have:  what OS, what video card, how much memory, etc?

Things locking up at the 10% mark is probably a clue to Adobe what part of the process is failing, probably the beginning of some important processing step.  I wouldn't know that sort of information but maybe I could find other hints in logs.

If these 66 images are JPGs I'd be willing to see if they work for me, on either of my two computers that have completely different hardware, software, and OSes.  You can zip them up, upload them to one of the aforementioned sites, and send a link in a private message or in a reply, here.

• 31. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which template are people using for time lapses? The old LR/timelapse ones? It is important to realize that these are hacks to use the slideshow module for something it wasn't meant for and to make individual images last shorter than 1 second (the minimum Lightroom allows). I don't think Adobe tests against that case at all so I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks something in the video export routines when images last only a single frame. It also explains why you're not getting any traction with Adobe I think as you would never run into this during normal slideshow exports.

Because of inconsistent results from Lightroom using the time-lapse hack templates I now simply use Photoshop (or Premiere) to generate time lapses from a folder of Lightroom exported jpegs. It's much more reliable and it is also trivial to generate pan and zooms during a time-lapse this way. If you have Photoshop anyway, I'd use that instead of Lightroom.

• 32. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                                      scottb44251384 Level 1

This is an HP G71-340 Notebook duo core, 4 gb ram, plenty of hard drive unused, 64 bit, Intel graphics accelerator 4500MHD which matches system requirements for Lightroom 6.4

• 33. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                                        scottb44251384 Level 1

After watching all the videos on taking sequential photos to create time lapse video stacked/assembled to create 24 fps video, this should be a normal process.  I will look into using both the Photoshop and Premier Elements 13 for doing this also.  It never seemed like this was some "hack" or work around procedure.  Thank You for your imput.

• 34. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

That computer seems severely underpowered to use LR on successfully, especially for any sort of video processing:  HP G71-340US Notebook PC - Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

The LR 6 system requirements:  System requirements for Photoshop Lightroom for Mac and Windows OS say the video memory needs to be 1GB video ram and I suspect the onboard graphics is sharing the 4GB system memory with the OS.  I'd also wonder if your system was OpenGL 3.3 compatible or not.

Can you do Help / About System Info... then copy and paste the information into a reply, here?

• 35. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                                            scottb44251384 Level 1

First, Thank You for taking the time to look at my situation and give more advise than Adobe has.

Lightroom version: 6.4 [ 1060496 ]

License: Perpetual

Operating system: Windows 7

Version: 6.1

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 2

Processor speed: 2.1 GHz

Built-in memory: 3998.9 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 3998.9 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 309.1 MB (7.7%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 272.4 MB

Memory cache size: 116.7 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 2

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2

System DPI setting: 120 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1600x900

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

Check OpenGL support: Failed

Vendor:

Version:

Renderer:

LanguageVersion:

GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_INPUT_COMPONENTS (actual = 64, minimum = 128)

GL_MAX_FRAGMENT_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS (actual = 64, minimum = 1024)

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE (actual = 1024, minimum = 2048)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: C:\Users\Owner\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Canon Tether Plugin

2) Facebook

3) Flickr

4) Leica Tether Plugin

5) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 8086

Device : 2a42

Subsystem : 306b103c

Revision : 7

Video Memory : 64

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Speakers and Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: LR5x102

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: not available

OGLEnabled: true

• 36. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                                              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Oh with only 4GB of RAM I would definitely suspect you are running into memory exhaustion when exporting a time-lapse with so many images.

After watching all the videos on taking sequential photos to create time lapse video stacked/assembled to create 24 fps video, this should be a normal process.  I will look into using both the Photoshop and Premier Elements 13 for doing this also.  It never seemed like this was some "hack" or work around procedure.  Thank You for your imput.

This is definitely a hack. The slideshow module won't take a image duration of less than 1 second, so the hack around this is to input this using a manually edited slideshow preset, which is what the LR/timelapse presets are doing. This is then combined with a video export description that is tailored to take the same framerate. The slideshow module is not programmed to be able to do this but some folks figured out a way around this. Nice but not really a great solution and liable to break when Lightroom gets updated. In this case I don't think the presets you are using (i think they came from LRB right?) have been updated since LR 4 and I know they broke briefly when LR 5 was first released. If you have Photoshop, I would use that as it is far more versatile in generating these videos. There are also many other dedicated time-lapse software pieces that will generate a time-lapse from a folder of jpegs very easily.

• 37. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                                                scottb44251384 Level 1

Thank You also for looking at my situation and offering your knowledge which is more than Adobe has done.  I purposely took these sample photos in .jpeg format to have less of a file...(66 photos are 224 mb) which should be just fine.  On the lightroom box, it says 2 gb...recommended 4 gb RAM, so I should be good.

• 38. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred
                                                                                  scottb44251384 Level 1

Here is what I am motivated to create but with a different subject.  I have already selected the music and just want to get through the basics.  I am going to see IF and HOW MUCH my repair guy will step up the video card and take this to perhaps 64 gb RAM.

NightLapse Concerto - Aerial RAW Hyperlapse (HD) - YouTube

• 39. Re: Lightroom Timelapse - Unknown Error Has Occurred

Maybe you are being facetious, but you have a notebook computer not a desktop.  As such, it doesn't have a separate video card that can be upgraded and shares video memory with the OS most likely, and your motherboard can only be upgraded to 8GB of memory.  That amount of memory might be enough, but your video card may still need to have dedicated VRAM of 1GB or more.

The system requirements also say OpenGL 3.3 but your System Info says the GPU-check failed so there is no OpenGL version available to LR.

So even if you upgrade to the maximum of 8GB of memory, maybe the video won't work, and you'll've wasted money better spent on a better computer.

Personally, I think an i5 or i7 with 16GB of memory and a video card with 1 or 2GB of VRAM would be a minimal LR system unless you want it to be frustratingly slow.

1 2 Previous Next