5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 2:16 PM by solar-wind

how to adjust print profiles

solar-wind

Hi,

I recently experienced a printing disaster.  I made two copies of a booklet: the first in Word, the second in inDesign.  The former had no colour management, and the printing was perfect, with only minor flaws.  The second, with inDesign, was garbage.  I am trying to figure out how to adjust my settings for better results.  The output for the printer that I am using is COATED FOGRA39 (ISO 12647-2:2004).  My image profiles in Photoshop and InDesign are sRGB IE61966-2.1. (My monitor is also calibrated to this setting).  After a long discussion with the printshop owner, I was told that I needed to learn how to edit my images to anticipate any discrepancy with their printers--however making those changes seems like a waste of time and involves mostly trial and error.  I think this is a question of setting the profiles correctly.  Any help would be very much appreciated, and step by step please, I am a beginner : )

• 1. Re: how to adjust print profiles
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After a long discussion with the printshop owner, I was told that I needed to learn how to edit my images to anticipate any discrepancy with their printers

Are these offset presses or digital composite printers?

• 2. Re: how to adjust print profiles
            solar-wind Level 1

They're offset printers.

• 3. Re: how to adjust print profiles
              Derek Cross Level 6

Did you supply your document to your litho printer by exporting it as a PDF using the Adobe PDF preset (say) PDF/X-4 supplied as single pages, with "Use document bleed settings" ticked)?

• 4. Re: how to adjust print profiles
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I recently experienced a printing disaster.  I made two copies of a booklet: the first in Word, the second in inDesign.  The former had no colour management, and the printing was perfect, with only minor flaws.

MS Word also has no CMYK support so you were sending the printer a PDF with all RGB color (probably sRGB), which would have to have been converted to CMYK during output by the printer. So you certainly could replicate the Word export by making sure all of your images are left as RGB with an embedded sRGB profile. Your ID document colors could also be RGB with sRGB assigned to the document. In that case if you export with the default PDF/x-4 preset your exported PDF color will be all profiled RGB.

The danger of working in RGB is choosing color that isn't in gamut, so you have to turn on Overprint Preview to get a soft proof of how the color will convert to CMYK at output.

My image profiles in Photoshop and InDesign are sRGB IE61966-2.1. (My monitor is also calibrated to this setting)

Do you mean you are using the sRGB IE61966-2.1 profile as the monitor profile? The monitor profile should be the one generated by the calibrator of calibration process, (which wouldn't be sRGB).

• 5. Re: how to adjust print profiles
                  solar-wind Level 1

Thanks Rob, this gives me something to think about.