13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2016 11:04 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 vs 14

OutintheBlue

Hello,

Because my license ended for Premiere Elements 12, I needed to upgrade to the newer version, 14. It is not possible apparantly to buy a *cheaper* license to continue using version 12.

So yes, I bought the new version, but now I am wondering...

I have several unfininshed projects in 12. Can I just open them in 14 and contiune editing, without messing anything up?

And if not, is there any way to get my version 12 to work again? After all, I did buy a new license. 

Thanx for your answers.

Best regards, from the Netherlands,

Ronald

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you purchased PE 12 and have a serial number, the licensing does not expire.

Did you get an error message?

What happened, exactly, when you tried to open PE 12?

See here:

Error: "Licensing has stopped working" | Windows

Error "Licensing has stopped working" | Mac OS

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14
            OutintheBlue Level 1

I bought a license not directly from Adobe, but through a Dutch genuine webshop which offers cheaper licenses to students and staff of schools and universities, which sometimes have limited possibilities, in this case the license was for a year... So yea, it did expire and I got a message that it expired and that I had to upgrade....

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks for your response.

Best regards, Ronald

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14

Premiere Elements 12 projects may open in Premiere Elements 14, but if they do they may be missing transitions and effects that were removed in Premiere Elements 14.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14
                OutintheBlue Level 1

Welll I use no special transitions (I hate those), just basic cross disolve... So I guess I should not have a problem then!

Thanx for your quick reply!

Greetings from the Netherlands!

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ronald

I am assuming for the comments that you are working with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit computer.

Your immediate question: There is no guarantee that a project from an earlier program can be opened in a later version. In the case of 12 and 14, most likely yes.

But, work with a copy of the 12 project as a safety net. And, make sure that the source media from the 12 project does not become disconnected when you open the project in 14.

Other....

Premiere Elements content has stayed for all intents and purposes the same from Premiere Elements 11 through 14, so I do not think missing transitions and effects is going to be a factor in 12 to 14. I can give you a count by count on that if needed.

In 12, you have DV and HDV Data Capture Firewire which disappeared in 13/13.1 along with some other features. Please refer to the following Adobe document for 13/13.1 on this situation (applies to 14 as well).

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

Also, there is a dramatic change in the sharing section of the program starting with 14. What you used in 12 by the name of Publish+Share is now Export & Share, but a lot more changes than just the name change. For detailed account see Export & Share section of the following ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 14 First Look Details

If you are into 4K 3840 x 2160, both 12/12.1 and 14 have project presets and export settings that size.

If you have not already, you might want to work with the free 30 days tryout of 14 before purchase to assure its compatibility with your computer environment and project goals.

Some significant miscellaneous information about 14 can be found

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 14 Daily Discoveries

Please consider. If any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14
                    OutintheBlue Level 1

Hey ATR,

Thank you for your extensive reply, very much appreciated. I am using Windows 10 64bit and I already purchased version 14, but I did not install it yet.
                    Since I do have some MiniDV tapes that still needs to be captured through firewire, I guess I would like to keep using version 12 as well, if not only to be able to capture. Is there an option to still use this, now that I bought a license for 14?

Thanks again!

Ronald

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14

I'm not ATR, but...

You can have both installed on the same computer as they are independent programs.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Ronald

Thanks for the follow up.

You can have Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 14 installed and activated on the same computer. Just run one at a time.

As an alternative to 12/12.1 DV and HDV data capture firewire, you could use the firewire capture with

For Windows

WinDV   WinDV

HDVSplit   http://www.videohelp.com/software/HDVSplit

and then import the split clips into the Premiere Elements 14 project with 14's Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets....

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Peru Bob

For troubleshooting purposes, I have even more than 2 versions of Premiere Elements installed on the same computer and have not had problems (used the use one at a time guideline). So, I have been there and done this.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14
                            OutintheBlue Level 1

Hello Peru Bob and ATR,

Thanks for your anwsers, but what I mean is: how do I get 12 to work again, to be activated again, since the serial that I had is now expired.

Will this work again, once I have 14 installed, so Adobobe 'sees' I have a new valid license?

Thanks ATR for giving me the links to alternative ways to capture DV,

Ronald

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ronald

Sorry, I thought that you had worked out the 12 licensing matter. If your original Premiere Elements 12 deal had an expiration to it, then you will need to purchase 12 from a vendor who still has it in stock to get your purchased serial number. New license, new purchase. If you have 12 still installed on your computer, you should be able to insert the new purchased serial number in those files if you do not want to use the purchased files with your new serial number.

If that is the case, you can decide if it is better to use the DV data and HDV data workarounds (WinDV and HDV Split) rather than invest in 12/12.1.

Adobe direct is only selling 14, so you will have to go to an authorized reseller for the purchase and be governed by that seller's pricing and return/refund conditions.

Any questions, please let us know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14
                                OutintheBlue Level 1

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply. I have succesfully installed Adobe Premiere Elements 14 and I had no problems opening projects created by 12. I also was happy to discover that once 14 was activated, 12 worked again as well. So I am now using both versions next to eachother and that also causes no problems.

Thanks for your help all.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 12 vs 14
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ronald

Thanks for the update and the great news of your progress with both Premiere Elements 14/14.1 and 12/12.1. Well done.

Best wishes as you move forward with these project. And, if questions come up as you move forward, please do not hesitate to ask. We look forward to the opportunity to be of assistance.

ATR