7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2015 9:40 AM by rob day

Need help—"missing font" is not really missing!

Design Stream Level 1

I’m working in a large InDesign file and sharing across dropbox with others. At some point, the file forgot that it has a link to a font. Whenever I open the file, I get the message that the font can’t be found, but the font does show up just fine. The other users also get this message. Is there a way to fix this? I’m going to send it to the printer soon and don’t want it to be a problem.

• 1. Re: Need help—"missing font" is not really missing!
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How do you control, that the font is showing up fine?

What is your exact workflow with dropbox?

Is the InDesign file saved on a dropbox volume with a Document fonts folder in the same root folder with all needed fonts?

What version of InDesign are you using?

What OS version?

Uwe

• 2. Re: Need help—"missing font" is not really missing!
            Design Stream Level 1

Hello Ewe,

How do you control, that the font is showing up fine? Not sure about this.

What is your exact workflow with dropbox? Several users are working in InDesign and InCopy. Only one InDesign user can work at a time, but there was a problem a few days ago when 2 InDesign users got into the file at the same time. The font problem occurred then. I think that it may have corrupted the database that keeps track of the fonts.

Is the InDesign file saved on a dropbox volume with a Document fonts folder in the same root folder with all needed fonts? Fonts aren't in the same folder. Each users has a copy of the fonts and they are installed on each computer.

What version of InDesign are you using? 2015

What OS version? 10.10.5. Need to update, but we've been working on the file with no problem for about 6 weeks.

Uwe

• 3. Re: Need help—"missing font" is not really missing!
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hm, I won't update InDesign or the OS to a newer version until the whole project is done.

You talked about a database corruption. Do you mean, that your InDesign file is corrupt now?

If so, I'd save the InDesign file to IDML and start all over with a new saved document from the opened IDML file.

And I think, it would be a good idea, if there would be only one Document fonts folder for all people working on the document.

And that should be positioned on the dropbox volume all the time together with the InDesign document in the same directory.

And no needed fonts should be installed in the local systems of all participants.

Uwe

• 4. Re: Need help—"missing font" is not really missing!
                Design Stream Level 1

Yes, I also avoid updating until big projects are completed! I believe that only the part of the database that track the fonts is corrupted. I will try saving to an IDML file.

As far as working from one fonts folder, do you use Typekit for font management? We're each using our own font management programs, so the fonts need to be resident on the individual computers.

• 5. Re: Need help—"missing font" is not really missing!
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've noticed with FAP's auto activation I can get a missing font dialog when initially opening doc's that need fonts to be activated. Unless the fonts are showing as missing in the Type>Find Fonts.. dialog, it doesn't seem like you have to worry about a missing font at the printer. You could try packaging or adding a Document fonts folder in the folder with ID files on Dropbox and installing the fonts there—that should bypass the group's font management apps.

• 6. Re: Need help—"missing font" is not really missing!
                    Design Stream Level 1

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I did some experimentation last night and figured out the problem. I tried saving back as an .idml file as suggested by Uwe and this didn’t work. I had already tried to do a Find/Replace on the missing font, but the Find/Replace option wouldn’t work. This message appeared when I tried to replace the font:

“The selected font is applied to hidden conditional text, or applied to text in a locked story, or is part of a composite fonts. Some instances of the font may not be found, or may not be changed.”

I realized that this meant the text was hidden from the Find/Change engine while saved out as text assignments for InCopy users. By un-linking the text boxes to the assignments, I was able to do the Find/Replace with no problem. Then I re-linked the boxes.

Lisa

• 7. Re: Need help—"missing font" is not really missing!
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There was another thread with a composite font problem, which was originating from imported Word styles:

file does not stay open long enough to export as idml