8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 2:46 AM by evocrim

how to move a image anywhere in Dreamweaver CC

thilankak43266574

I have Dreamweaver CC and I want to place (move) a image wherever i want in the design (not align left,center or right) I was able to do that in CS3 but I can't find how to do it in Dreamweaver CC.Please help

• 1. Re: how to move a image anywhere in Dreamweaver CC
          Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That was called an APDiv and has been removed from the program because it's a terrible way to lay out your pages in modern websites. Absolute positioning is pretty much the opposite of responsive design, which web sites need today in order to function correctly for a 27" monitor and a 5" phone.

Absolute positioning should be reserved for only rare occasions where it's actually needed. Use CSS floats, margins and padding to position elements instead. Those settings are much, much simpler to make responsive to the vast array of screen sizes and orientations available in today's internet.

If you "must" use an APDiv, it's still possible though...

1. Choose Insert > Div to place a normal <div>

2. Give it an ID in the dialogue box that appears (this ID can only be used once on your page)

3. Click OK

4. In the CSS Designer, click the + under the Selectors sub panel, this will give you # + the id you entered in step 2

5. With the Layout tab chosen under the Properties sub panel of the CSS Designer, scroll a short way down to Position and choose Absolute

From there on out, the <div> will act like the old APDivs while in Design View, allowing you to move or change their size as you want. It will also unleash colossal headaches as you try to make your site "work" on mobile devices as well as large screens.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to move a image anywhere in Dreamweaver CC
            Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I want to place (move) a image wherever i want in the design...

I was able to do that in CS3 but I can't find how to do it in Dreamweaver CC.

You should be using Muse instead of Dreamweaver.

MU is aimed at non-coders who want to use click & drag to build web pages.

DW is not a click & drag, do-whatever-you want app like Photoshop.  To use DW effectively, you need a good layout structure or grid. From there, you can insert elements into the pre-defined grid areas.  No clicking & dragging allowed.

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: how to move a image anywhere in Dreamweaver CC
              evocrim

DW used to be so much easier to use. I would design using layers to give me a sense of structure, layout, etc and then convert it to a table. I don't see why it can't let covert to non-absolute, responsive elements once I've laid out a structure. That is what used to be different about DW, now it's just like any other webdesign software. I did try muse, it was unusable.

• 4. Re: how to move a image anywhere in Dreamweaver CC

You're living in the past when everyone had same-sized displays & a one-size-fits-all approach to web design was satisfactory for the majority of target users.  These days, we need advanced workflows to support responsive layouts.  You cannot build responsively with click-drag APDivs and Tables.  It just doesn't work that way.  Either learn to code and/or use a grid framework like Bootstrap (which DW supports very well) or hire someone who can translate your design ideas into workable code.  

Nancy O.

• 5. Re: how to move a image anywhere in Dreamweaver CC
                  evocrim Level 1

Bit offensive. I can code ( I just like to work visually) and I have built responsive fluid designs. I have used tables in the past... my point was that the software that lets people like me design a page visually and then converts it to a modern flexible fluid layout will be the winner. If wanting simple, user friendly design software makes me a dinosaur then I'm happy to be one.

• 6. Re: how to move a image anywhere in Dreamweaver CC
                    BenPleysier Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    I did try muse, it was unusable.

Millions would disagree with you on that as well. Have a look at the army surrounding Muse Widgets – Adobe Muse Widget Directory

• 7. Re: how to move a image anywhere in Dreamweaver CC

BenPleysier wrote:

Have a look at the army surrounding Muse Widgets – Adobe Muse Widget Directory

There's a lot of money to be made there.   Maybe I should change hats and start building Widgets.  Definitely something to think about.

Nancy O.

• 8. Re: how to move a image anywhere in Dreamweaver CC
                        evocrim Level 1

What can I say? They must all be better designers than me because I cannot get MUSE to build responsive, fluid layouts. It's clunky, clumsy and difficult ~ call that a one in a million opinion if you will.