2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2015 6:32 AM by carl nes

Buying new iMac - best possible spec and disk setup for Premiere within budget

carl nes Level 1

Hi,

I know dedicated workstations will perform better, but for several reasons (other use, screen and space requirements) I concider an iMac. Very grateful if you have any thoughts on my draft so far:

iMac late 2015 i7 4ghz (skylake)

24 GB ram (order with 8GB and bying a separate 16 GB kit)

500 GB SSD internal

AMD 395X 4GB GPU

Disk setup 1 for Premiere (budget, what I can do today):

- Internal SSD: OS and programs

- Ext. USB3 SSD Samsung T1 disks for project file, scratch files etc.

- Ext. USB3 2x7200rpm RAID0: Media files (G-Technology - link) Have this already.

Disk setup 2 for Premiere (when money allows):

- Internal SSD: OS and programs

- Ext. Thunderbolt RAID disk array: All premiere related files (OWC ThunderBay 4HD Array (RAID 5 Edition) - link)

Do you think this will work OK? Other ideas for improving the setup?

Thanks again!

Carl

Edited: Simplified the list

• 1. Re: Buying new iMac - best possible spec and disk setup for Premiere within budget
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

storage will depend on how much space and speed you need for your projects/media. small bitrate files like h264, won't need as much space or speed, like setup 1. large bitrate files, and larger frame size (4k+) will need more space and speed, like setup 2. if you don't use AE disk cache or premiere preview renders, the internal ssd of the imac may be fine to use as the cache drive for premiere and not have to purchase the samsung usb ssd.

the owc enclosure seems to be software raid. so you could configure all 4 drives as raid-0, or only 2 or 3 drives as raid-0 and leave one or two for backup. or replace some drives with ssd's then use those left over hdd's for shelf backups or for transferring projects/media with others.

there is this other thunderbolt drive system that appears to have built in hardware raid. if doing raid 5, this would be handy.

Promise Technology 12TB Pegasus2 R4 - B&H Photo Video

• 2. Re: Buying new iMac - best possible spec and disk setup for Premiere within budget
            carl nes Level 1

Thanks. HD or 4k workflows and codecs will definetly be important here, and I will mostly work in HD. Maybe some 4k from GH4 (mp4) and Sony FS5 (xavc long gop), but mostly in HD timeline as of now.

Reading some reviews it seemes like the OWC software raid sollution is delivering very good performance, but I will check out the Promise Pegasus sollution, seemes a little pricier though.

If any of you have good or bad experiences with iMac setups, please share