13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 9:58 AM by JEShort01

Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro

Stephen Pickering122 Level 1

Hi there,

I built this system a year or two ago based on several suggestions and recommendations from both editors and PC builders. However, I've never really been happy with it.  I still struggle greatly with BSoD... and often.  And It's a variety of error codes that take turns. I used Win7 Pro x64 and recently upgraded to Win10 Pro x64 with pretty much the same regular BSoD excitements.  Earlier in the year I learned about different tricks for installing Win7 as AHCI (or IDE) or something- I don't recall anymore- which seemed to make a difference, but I still struggle with this craziness.  Next week I'll run overnight tests on each of the 8x8GB DDR3 sticks (the tests take forever) to rule those out.

I'm just curious what others are using for motherboards, in the event I decide to ditch this one. I love the 64GB capacity and the ridiculous number of USB and SATA ports, but I'm guessing this is pretty common on pro motherboards.  My specs are below as I would like to stick with as much of my current hardware as I can to save on money.  Unless there is an obvious bottle neck you see. I used to know hardware but no so much anymore.

Thank you for any advice!

Stephen

Summary

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 3930K @ 3.20GHz 30 °C

Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology

RAM

48.0GB DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 PRO (LGA2011) 22 °C

Graphics

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ZOTAC International) 43 °C

Storage

223GB OCZ-ARC100 (SSD)

3725GB CineRAID H/W RAID1 (SATA)

2794GB CineRAID H/W RAID1 (SATA)

3726GB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA)) 39 °C

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS15

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

CPU

Intel Core i7 3930K

Cores 6

Threads 12

Name Intel Core i7 3930K

Code Name Sandy Bridge-E

RAM

Memory slots

Total memory slots 8

Used memory slots 6

Free memory slots 2

Memory

Type DDR3

Size 49152 MBytes

DRAM Frequency 667.0 MHz

Motherboard

Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

Model P9X79 PRO (LGA2011)

Version Rev 1.xx

Generated with Speccy v1.29.714

• 1. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro
          cc_merchant Level 4

BSOD's should be tackled first. They are not normal on a system with these components. It should be rock solid. Common causes are lacking PSU, temps (which are not likely with the shown idle temp) or incompatibilities between background services and processes. I would start with the first item, the PSU. What brand and model is it and how old is it?

• 2. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro
            JEShort01 Level 4

Stephen,

When I read you post, I see what looks to be a pretty strong spec. to run Adobe.

You don't even list what I would guess might be the most likely candidate for causing blue screen crashes and single component that you may want/need to upgrade - your power supply! What is yours?

And one more question - when are you seeing the BSOD crashes? (i.e. general and random, when doing renders, coming out of standby, etc.)

Jim

EDIT - I just see CC_merchant and I just cross-posted -- and both of us are suspect of your power supply!

• 3. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro

Thank you cc_merchant and Jim.  The PSU is a Corsair TX850M . If this is the culprit, I'll literally cry.

As for when the BSOD happen, they are most often when I'm editing in Premiere Pro CC (more often when rendering) but sometimes are completely random too.  This morning after booting up it gave me a BSOD within 15 minutes (I don't THINK Premiere Pro was even started yet, but it certainly wasn't rendering if it was running) - I was out of the room. I set the computer to not auto-reboot so that I could see what codes I'm getting.  Today's code was POWER_DRIVER_STATE_FAILURE, last week I got INVALID_IO_BOOST_STATE and SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M.  But I've had others too.  I don't recall what codes I received in Windows 7, but I'm guessing they were the same or similar codes.  I've accepted this as a way of life for me...
              if this had anything to do with anything, but I do often get complete crashes with Media Encoder when rendering process intense projects (NeatVideo Reduce Noise) over 15 minutes. Sometimes not a BSOD, but Media Encoder just simply shuts down as if it needs a break.

If it's worth replacing the PSU, I'll do it in a heartbeat!

Thank you again,

-Stephen

• 4. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro
                JEShort01 Level 4

Hmmm...

Your p/s is not the best and you do have, but its far from the worst.

I also just noticed a big red flag... You state that you have 8x8GB sticks of RAM to test, however Speccy is only reporting 6x8GB, or 48GB.

What exact model of RAM sticks do you have?

Other things to consider:

- the error messages seem like they might be related to your GPU; do you have another that you could swap out and test with for a week or so?

- try running with just 4 sticks of RAM and then running with the other 4 sticks of RAM; RAM testing software may not flush out things that cause blue screens when rendering and your whole PC is busy (cpu, gpu, RAM, bus, drives, etc.)

- do you have the latest Asus bios? If not, try that

Regards,

Jim

• 5. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro

Sorry Jim, I should have specified that I only had 6 of the 8 sticks when I ran Speccy this afternoon. I didn't think to clarify it because I wasn't planning to try to troubleshoot, but now that I know this is not normal I'm excited to get this system working the way it should.

I just put in the remaining two sticks which brings to total back to 8. Attempting to trouble shoot I was removing sticks (and reseating the remaining in the correct configuration) to see if any difference would be noticed. Some configurations seem better but ultimately nothing seems to be solid.  I've heard this board runs best with increments of 4 (as you also indicate), but a few weeks ago I had a project that while rendered would max out my 32GB, requiring me to add back in some (hence the 48GB). Now I've got all 8 in with 64GB.  I've read that even if all sticks test ok using something like MemTest86, it can still be a problem with one of the 8 RAM slots on the mb... 

I do have a different (older) video card I can use.  I don't recall the model but it's a GeForce 2GB something or another. I used it before upgrading to my current one. I had regular crashes with the old card, but that was also with Windows 7 so I don't recall the errors. I have only used Win 10 with my current hardware, so I'll try the old video card to see if it makes any difference.

I just updated the BIOS a few weeks ago.  When I build the machine I updated the BIOS at that time but not since.  The update doesn't seem to make a difference.

Below is the info from Speccy for the RAM (I removed some of the "timing table" info so it doesn't clutter this post- if you need it please let me know). I know the PNY sticks don't match, but I only added those later (I pulled them from another machine) and had bsod before adding these.  If buying new RAM will help I'll do it!

Thank you again!

-Stephen

RAM

Memory slots

Total memory slots 8

Used memory slots 8

Free memory slots 0

Memory

Type DDR3

Size 65536 MBytes

DRAM Frequency 667.0 MHz

CAS# Latency (CL) 9 clocks

RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 9 clocks

RAS# Precharge (tRP) 9 clocks

Cycle Time (tRAS) 24 clocks

Command Rate (CR) 2T

Physical Memory

Memory Usage 14 %

Total Physical 60 GB

Available Physical 51 GB

Total Virtual 69 GB

Available Virtual 58 GB

SPD

Number Of SPD Modules 8

Slot #1

Type DDR3

Size 8192 MBytes

Manufacturer G.Skill

Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)

Part Number F3-12800CL10-8GBZL

SPD Ext. XMP

XMP-1600

Frequency 800 MHz

CAS# Latency 10.0

RAS# To CAS# 10

RAS# Precharge 10

tRAS 30

Voltage 1.500 V

Slot #2

Type DDR3

Size 8192 MBytes

Manufacturer G.Skill

SPD Ext. XMP

XMP-1600

Frequency 800 MHz

CAS# Latency 10.0

RAS# To CAS# 10

RAS# Precharge 10

tRAS 30

Voltage 1.500 V

Slot #3

Type DDR3

Size 8192 MBytes

Manufacturer PNY Electronics

Max Bandwidth PC3-12800H (800 MHz)

Part Number 8GBH2X04E99927-15

SPD Ext. XMP

XMP-1600

Frequency 800 MHz

CAS# Latency 9.0

RAS# To CAS# 9

RAS# Precharge 9

tRAS 27

Voltage 1.500 V

Slot #4

Type DDR3

Size 8192 MBytes

Manufacturer PNY Electronics

Max Bandwidth PC3-12800H (800 MHz)

Part Number 8GBH2X04E99927-15

SPD Ext. XMP

XMP-1600

Frequency 800 MHz

CAS# Latency 9.0

RAS# To CAS# 9

RAS# Precharge 9

tRAS 27

Voltage 1.500 V

Slot #5

Type DDR3

Size 8192 MBytes

Manufacturer G.Skill

SPD Ext. XMP

XMP-1600

Frequency 800 MHz

CAS# Latency 10.0

RAS# To CAS# 10

RAS# Precharge 10

tRAS 30

Voltage 1.500 V

Slot #6

Type DDR3

Size 8192 MBytes

Manufacturer G.Skill

SPD Ext. XMP

XMP-1600

Frequency 800 MHz

CAS# Latency 10.0

RAS# To CAS# 10

RAS# Precharge 10

tRAS 30

Voltage 1.500 V

Slot #7

Type DDR3

Size 8192 MBytes

Manufacturer G.Skill

Part Number F3-1600C9-8GXM

SPD Ext. XMP

XMP-1600

Frequency 800 MHz

CAS# Latency 9.0

RAS# To CAS# 9

RAS# Precharge 9

tRAS 24

Voltage 1.500 V

Slot #8

Type DDR3

Size 8192 MBytes

Manufacturer G.Skill

Part Number F3-1600C9-8GXM

SPD Ext. XMP

XMP-1600

Frequency 800 MHz

CAS# Latency 9.0

RAS# To CAS# 9

RAS# Precharge 9

tRAS 24

Voltage 1.500 V

• 6. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro
                    JEShort01 Level 4

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel!

First, the knowledge that these random crashes were occurring with both a previous and current video card, I'd say for now that clears your GPU as a suspect.

You have 3 types of RAM, a real no-no!

It is always best to have 8 matched sticks. Next best, and not recommended is two sets of 4 with each set carefully seated in the appropriate slots so that they are working together as quad-channel RAM.

Suggestion:

- remove the four sticks that are pairs only: F3-1600C9-8GXM and PNY sticks

- run the remaining matched 4 G-Skill sticks in slots 1/2/3/4

- in Bios, use XMP settings for the matching 4 sticks; you should be running at CAS 10-10-10 then (slower than reported Speccy 9-9-9 listed above and correct for these sticks)

Hopefully this will solve your crashes. Assuming that it does, buy a new 64GB set (8 sticks) of "matched" RAM and put that in. I have had good luck with G-Skill. If you choose to go with them they have a very nice "RAM configurator" on there web site that lets you see which RAM part numbers have been certified by them to work at 64GB density for your exact motherboard.

Regards,

Jim

• 7. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro

Sounds good.  I removed the PNY and the other sticks, leaving only the 4 matching sticks. I wasn't sure what you meant by the slots so I followed the manual which suggested A1, B1, D1, C1.  I changed the XMP settings to "Profile 1" in the BIOS which also changes the CAS to 10-10-10. I wasn't sure how to change it manually.

I'll keep you posted!

Thank you again,

Stephen

• 8. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro
                        spnsir Level 2

Any update on your BSOD issues? I have been getting the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Also I've found sometimes my USB 3 ports aren't getting enough power. I too am wondering if my PSU (Corsair TX750) could be the cause.

• 9. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro

spnsir wrote:

Any update on your BSOD issues? I have been getting the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Also I've found sometimes my USB 3 ports aren't getting enough power. I too am wondering if my PSU (Corsair TX750) could be the cause.

I'm happy to say the RAM removal made a big difference.  Since removing it almost 2 weeks ago it's been very stable even with some pretty intensive renders.  However... A day or two ago I went to export a video and each program froze one at a time (Premiere Pro, Media Encoder, Chrome, File Explorer, Task Manager), forcing me to do a physical restart by holding the power down. After the reboot I was about to open Premiere Pro when I got... DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.

I wish I had kept better track of the errors in Windows 7.  Researching this appears to be more common in Windows 10.  spnsir, what OS are you using?

Here's a report from WhoCrashed:

--------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 12/16/2015 5:24:45 PM GMT your computer crashed
                          crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\121615-14812-01.dmp
                          This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
                          Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFE000B600F400, 0xFFFFF8013CA61990, 0xFFFFE000B2A9C3B0)
                          Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
                          Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
                          This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
                          The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12/16/2015 5:24:45 PM GMT your computer crashed
                          crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
                          This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
                          Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFE000B600F400, 0xFFFFF8013CA61990, 0xFFFFE000B2A9C3B0)
                          Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
                          Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
                          This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
                          The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 11/23/2015 4:33:02 PM GMT your computer crashed
                          crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112315-12328-01.dmp
                          This was probably caused by the following module: asmtxhci.sys (asmtxhci+0x2A008)
                          Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8003254A008, 0xFFFFD001432AD8F8, 0xFFFFD001432AD110)
                          Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
                          file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\asmtxhci.sys
                          product: ASMedia USB 3.0 Host Drivers
                          company: ASMedia Technology Inc
                          description: ASMEDIA XHCI Host Controller Driver
                          Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
                          A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: asmtxhci.sys (ASMEDIA XHCI Host Controller Driver, ASMedia Technology Inc).
                          Google query: ASMedia Technology Inc SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

------------------------------

It looks like asmtxhci.sys might be something for me to look into. It caused a crash last month that I never took note of.  There were crashes after 11/23 but I mistakenly left "do not overwrite dump files" (or whatever the tick option is in the crash report screen for Windows).  But again, there were no issues for nearly 2 weeks after I took out the mismatched 32GB sticks.  I'll look into the ASMedia thing now.

Thanks!

-Stephen

• 10. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro
                            spnsir Level 2

Are you using external drives plugged into your USB 3 or eSATA ports?

• 11. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro

spnsir wrote:

Are you using external drives plugged into your USB 3 or eSATA ports?

I'm using both.

• 12. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro
                                spnsir Level 2

I found this was happening to me while using a Mediasonic 8 Bay JBOD enclosure. I forget if it was attached via USB 3.0 or eSATA. I know I experimented with both.

Anyways, I sourced drivers for ASMEDIA that were newer than what is on the Asus website. Since then I have not noticed the problem. Around the same time, I also stopped using Paragan to access HFS drives (and reformatted them as NTFS). Not sure which helped.

Here are the driver versions I have now:

ASMedia ASM-104x/107x Drivers Version 1.16.29.1 WHQL (for USB 3.0)

ASMedia 106x 3.1.8.0 (for eSATA)

In the BIOS I also disabled USB 3.0 Charging Support.

I'm on Win10 currently but I had this issue in Win8 as well. I think it was just ASMedia's drivers not playing well.

• 13. Re: Need suggestions for motherboard replacement for Ausus P9X79 Pro
                                  JEShort01 Level 4

I haven't been editing with USB or eSATA drives lately, but I can share a long time ago a was having a USB connection problem that could blue-screen WinXP (yes, this was awhile ago ).

My crashes were completely resolved by using either a really short USB cable (8", 12", etc.) or a powered USB hub (separate wall wart power supply).

Jim