12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 7:15 PM by rpandita

Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?

nothinglikeit Level 1

I suspect they may still be there one of the older catalogs.  But going through them would be very time-consuming.  Does anyone have a different solution?

Also, I am afraid of what might happen to my most recent catalog when I do this kind of search.  When I click on LR to open it next time, will it automatically revert to the newest catalog?

Where is the location on my computer of the default catalog that opens when I click on LR?

I have heard that deleting older catalogs is something I should be doing, but I tried it once and lost some images!  Suggestions on this would be appreciated.  Right now I have a long column of catalog backups!

Thank you for any help you can give.

• 1. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi nothinglikeit,

Greetings.

• The subject of the issues is "Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?"
            • could you please let us know what edits are you performing?
          • While holding down the alt(windows) / option (mac) key open LR
          • A small window will appear in which you can click on "always load this catalog on startup"
          • You can get rid of the most of the old catalogs but before you make sure that they do not have something that you might need in the future.
          • You can delete most of back up catalogs and just keep couple of them,most recent ones.

Default location for a catalog is Pictures folder.

• "Pictures - Lightroom"

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?
            nothinglikeit Level 1

Thank you Rohit for addressing my questions.

My edits:  I always make virtual copies of images and do the edits on them.  The ones that have disappeared seem to be from before I started using Photoshop as a supplement to LightRoom.  The ones that I exported as jpgs, I could retrieve, but some I did not export.   (I used to shoot in jpg, but not for long - now I shoot exclusively in RAW.)

From what you say, I can get rid of the old catalogs, but have to open them each individually to look for "lost" images.  I was hoping to avoid that, but perhaps I can find a way to streamline the process.

So if I delete an previous catalog, it should not have any effect on the newer ones?

I appreciate the instructions for designating which catalog to open on startup.  But which catalog should be the default?  I back up in two separate places, but the program seems to have its own backup somewhere else!  I would like to figure out where that is located.

Regards, Susan

• 3. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
              I always make virtual copies of images and do the edits on them.

Virtual copies are intended for creating two or more different edits, or versions of a file. It is not meant to, or necessary to use on every single file.

All the edits that you do In LR are "virtual", in the sense that the original file is never touched. The edits are only applied when you print or export, and then to a copy of the file. If you want to compare your edits to the original, just click the first step in the History panel. Having a virtual copy of every file could certainly cause confusion.

I'm not sure what you are referring to with "old catalogs". Do you mean backups, or have you been creating several catalogs?

One catalog is normally enough for all your work, having several is another thing that could create confusion.

I back up in two separate places, but the program seems to have its own backup somewhere else!  I would like to figure out where that is located.

Go to Edit (Lightroom on a Mac) > Catalog settings, this is where you set how often a backup should be made, and the location of the backups.

If possible, choose a location on a different drive . i.e. not the one where you keep your regular catalog.

I then suggest that you back up the backups the same way that you back up your images.

• 4. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?
                nothinglikeit Level 1

I will try to clear up my questions for you Per Berntsen.

My virtual copies are only for the ones I intend to edit, not every file.  I do this so my original is still available to compare with the edits.  Easier for me than going to the History panel!

When I say "old catalogs", I mean previous backups of the catalog.  I only have one catalog!

I am aware of how to set the frequency of backups and their locations (every time I exit LR and two separate locations on different drives.

Not sure what you mean about backing up the backups the same way as my images.  I do back up the backups (the two locations on different drives).

Actually, I only recently realized that my images need to be backed up independently of the catalog!  This is now been taken care of, and I have backups for the images also in two separate drives.

So now that these things are cleared up, I hope you can offer some suggestions for my disappearing edits!

• 5. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?

Try this:

• In the catalog panel on the left, click All photographs.
                  • Press Ctrl/Cmd+L once or twice to remove any filters.
                  • Go to Photo > Stacking > Expand all stacks

If you stil have a problem -

What exactly has gone missing? The edits you did to some virtual copies, or the virtual copies themselves?

If you mean the edits - is there just no steps in history but the sliders reflecting your edits, or is the image in the state it was before you began editing it?

If the edits are missing, you must have accidentally clicked the X on the right side of the History panel heading, which will clear history, but not reset the settings.

The only way to lose history steps as well as the actual edits would be to click the first step in history, and then clear history.

If the virtual copies themselves are missing, you must have deleted them.

• 6. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?
                    nothinglikeit Level 1

Perhaps I have not been clear enough for you.  I edit virtual copies.  The edits that are lost are on those virtual copies.  Therefore there is no history to look at because the images themselves disappeared. 

I did not do any of the deleting actions you describe.  And this has happened multiple times!  I do some edits, continue with my life and photography, then at some point I am going back through my catalog folders and realize that only the originals are still there!

Thanks for trying to help, but I guess the solution lies in going back through all the catalog backups before deleting them!

• 7. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?

I have never heard of virtual copies disappearing like this. I'm sorry, but I can't help you any further - maybe somebody else can.

• 8. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?

Hi again,

I am still confused,

• Do the edits on the virtual copies disappear or
                        • Does the virtual copy of the image itself disappears?
                        • Could you also try one thing
                          • Edit the original fine not the virtual copy
                          • Once done , restart LR and check if you see the edits on the image or not.
                          • Share the result with us.

Regards

Rohit

• 9. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?
                          nothinglikeit Level 1

Rohit, the virtual copy along with the edits disappeared.  I have gone back into old backups of the catalog and found some of them.  No idea why they did not get carried through, but I am restoring the ones I found.

So your first answer to my questions contained the correct answer!  Now I just have to go through more of these until I am satisfied I have found the ones I want to keep.

• 10. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?

It seems like the current catalog has the issues, may be a corruption, so what you can do is that initially find all your data, then merge them altogether in one single catalog.

Can you please move your current catalog on the desktop and the try opening it up, creating virtual copies and then restart it and see if it retains the work you had done or not.

~Rohit

• 11. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?
                              nothinglikeit Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions Rohit, but I don't know how to merge things together in a single catalog.  Also, the problems occurred a while back and have not occurred recently.

My plan is to continue looking for the lost edited virtual copies in old catalogs and retrieving them. 

I am through experimenting!

• 12. Re: Why do some of my edits in LR disappear?

Hi again,

• File - Import from another catalog.
                                • However as you have started that you have lot of catalogs so you can surely proceed with what you are doing, to find your images.
                                • By the way whenever you get time,
                                  • Create a new catalog,
                                  • Import some images in it,
                                  • Create virtual copies, edit them then restart LR and see if it retains the data.

~Rohit