13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2017 1:59 PM by John Waller

How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.

mrssalazar

I have a Nikon camera and am fairly new to Lightroom.  I am shooting in RAW and am trying to import the photos.  The file extension says NEF, which is not compatible with Lightroom (per the website's info).  How can I convert these files, in order to edit them in Lightroom.

• 1. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.
          WobertC Adobe Community Professional

Look here to check if your camera and Lightroom are compatible.

Cameras supported by Adobe Camera Raw

If 'Yes' then you can simply 'Import' your NEF images to Lightroom.

If "Not" compatible- you have two options-

1. Upgrade Lightroom to the latest version 6.3 / CC2015-6.3

2. Download the free 'Adobe DNG Converter', convert your NEFs to DNG, import the DNGs. Photoshop Help | Adobe Digital Negative Converter 9.x

• 2. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.
            rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi mrssalazar,

Greetings.

Regards

Rohit

• 3. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.
              mrssalazar Level 1

I just recently purchased Lightroom 6 and do not have the Creative Cloud version. I am unable to import the photos. I have a Nikon D40.

• 4. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.
                rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)
                • Can you please explain in detail" unable to import photos"
                  • A screen shot will be nice.
                • From where are you importing the files?
                • What is the destination selected?
                • Any error message, if yes , share it with us.

~Rohit

• 5. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.
                  elie-d Level 4

The D40 is from 2006.

Its NEF files are undoubtedly supported by LR 6. You need to explain in more detail how you are trying to import them.

• 6. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.
                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

How to ask questions here:

ASK- Forum Success Guide: Efficiently using the forums

In short - we need a lot more detail from you.

• 7. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.

Are you plugging the camera direct into USB port?

Are you using a Card Reader?

Is your USB cable (and USB socket) working ok?

Are you using the 'Copy' option if importing from camera or card reader?

Are you using the OS to place images in your computer before importing with the 'Add' option?

What is the "Destination Folder" for your import?

Show us a screen-clip of your full Import window.

Show us a screen-clip detail of the "Destination" panel.

• 8. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.
                        whitefox13 Level 1

Before opening the Import dialog box, and before connecting your camera or a memory card in a card reader to the computer, in Lightroom click on the plus sign in the header bar of the Folders panel.  From the menu that appears, select "Add Folder".  This will bring up a dialog box on screen showing you all the hard drives on your computer.  Click with the cursor on the drive where you want to put the new folder.  At the bottom of this dialog box, will be a button that says "New Folder", click on this button.  A new dialog box will appear on screen asking for the name of the new folder.  Name it and click with the cursor on the "Create" button the bottom of this second dialog box.  This second dialog box will disappear and the first, larger dialog box will have a "Choose" button at the bottom right of the box.  Click with the cursor on the "Choose" button.  This dialog box will also disappear and you'll be back in the Library module of Lightroom.  In the Folders panel on the left side of the screen, select the drive on which you placed your new folder.  The folder should be there and be grayed out because there are no images in it yet.  Next, Control (Macintosh), Right (PC) click on this grayed out folder.  From the menu that appears, select "Import to this Folder".  The Import dialog box will appear on screen.  Select whether to Copy as DNG or just copy at the top of the import dialog box.  Next in the right column of panels, make the selections for file handling, renaming the images, what if anything to apply during import and then check the destination to make sure your images are going into the folder you created.  Now click on the "Import" button at the bottom left of the Import Dialog box.

• 9. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.

Before opening the Import dialog box, and before connecting your camera or a memory card in a card reader to the computer, in Lightroom click on the plus sign in the header bar of the Folders panel.  From the menu that appears, select "Add Folder".  This will bring up a dialog box on screen showing you all the hard drives on your computer.  Click with the cursor on the drive where you want to put the new folder.  At the bottom of this dialog box, will be a button that says "New Folder", click on this button.  A new dialog box will appear on screen asking for the name of the new folder.  Name it and click with the cursor on the "Create" button the bottom of this second dialog box.  This second dialog box will disappear and the first, larger dialog box will have a "Choose" button at the bottom right of the box.  Click with the cursor on the "Choose" button.  This dialog box will also disappear and you'll be back in the Library module of Lightroom.  In the Folders panel on the left side of the screen, select the drive on which you placed your new folder.  The folder should be there and be grayed out because there are no images in it yet.  Next, Control (Macintosh), Right (PC) click on this grayed out folder.  From the menu that appears, select "Import to this Folder". 

This is the 'long-winded' method. Far, far easier is to simply add a new "sub-folder" with the option in the Destination panel.

Just click to select (highlight) the folder that will be the 'parent' of the new folder, place a tick next to [Into subfolder], Enter the "Name" in the box, Import, Done!

• 10. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.
                            whitefox13 Level 1

Yes, it was "long winded", I wrote it for some one who is relatively new to Lightroom and having trouble importing images.  The only thing done so far was to ask him questions, no on went over the import process with him from creating a folder to importing to that folder.  Of course there are other ways to do it, but I thought the purpose of the community forums was to provide info to not only the original poster, but possibly to other people who might be having the same issue.  To answer technical questions, one needs to do technical writing which means make it easy to understand.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.
                              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you realise that the original discussion is over two years old?

Out of curiosity, how did you find this thread before posting your reply? Were you searching the forum for something specific?

• 12. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.
                                whitefox13 Level 1

Yes, I do realize the discussion is over two years old.  I was asked by Community Manager Caroline Hooven and her colleague Tricia to look over the unanswered questions on the Lightroom forum in case I had anything to add.  Remember that just because a question is old doesn't mean some one else may not have the same question and be looking for an answer.  I found the thread because I started on the first page and went through them page by page.  Actually, I haven't been through them all yet.

• 13. Re: How to import photos taken on a Nikon, in NEF format.
                                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

OK, no problem.

Remember that just because a question is old doesn't mean some one else may not have the same question and be looking for an answer.

Of course. That goes without saying. These forums must be filled with unanswered questions. You'll have a job for life if that is your current mission. I wish you well with it.

The key is whether people can find what they are are looking for via Jive's search function before they go to Google. Given Jive considerable and deep-rooted flaws, I often wonder if people find the answers they are looking for in old discussions here.