3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2006 5:31 PM by abeall

How do you change the Tree Component Icons?

Level 7
      Hi,

I have been trying to get to grips with the tree component. I want to
      customise it so that I can have a different icon for each different link.
      E.g. a QT logo for a video etc. If no valuse is found for the 'icon'
      attribute it will just display the default.

Within my XML file I have created a new attribute for each link called
      'icon' and has a value of 'movie.gif' or something similar.

In my flash file, I have created the following code:

theTree.iconFunction = function (node:XMLNode) {
      var iconNode:String = item.attributes.icon;
      if (iconNode != undefined) {
      return iconNode;
      }
      }

However, it does not seem to work. My knowledge of ActionScript is pretty
      poor so I assume I have made a mistake in there somewhere. Can anyone help
      me with this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do you change the Tree Component Icons?
          abeall Level 3
          I'm curious how you came up with the iconFunction. I don't know much about the Tree component, but I happen to be using it at the moment, and the only way I knew to change the icon is via Tree.setIcon(node, linkID [, linkID2])
          • 2. Re: How do you change the Tree Component Icons?
            Level 7
            Hi,

I read about it in a tutorial somewhere!

Is there any chance you could post the code you used to modify the icon so I
            can learn how to do it too?

Thanks

"abeall" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ejtul8$64d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > I'm curious how you came up with the iconFunction. I don't know much about
            > the
            > Tree component, but I happen to be using it at the moment, and the only
            > way I
            > knew to change the icon is via Tree.setIcon(node, linkID [, linkID2])
            >

• 3. Re: How do you change the Tree Component Icons?
              abeall Level 3
              Check out the Component Reference... you change the icon for a single node, as far as I know there's no automated process beyond that. So assuming your tree component instance is named "theTree" you might do this to change the icon of the first node:

theTree.dataProvider = yourXML; // make sure you don't try to change the icon before you load data into the tree
              var theNode = theTree.getTreeNodeAt(0); // the first node in your tree
              theTree.setIcon(theNode,'myIcon'); // set the icon

Where "myIcon" is a MovieClip you have in your library that you have set the "linkage identifier" as "myIcon".

That iconFunction doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, because first of all I don't know why it would be attached to theTree, and second it's referring to "item" which is not defined, and third its taking the parameter "node" and not doing anything with it. But perhaps there is some cool way to make a single function which handles icons for your entire tree automatically, that would certainly be nice.

However, like I said, as far as I know that function will do nothing without calling tree.setIcon() in some way. I just made a function which might do what you want -- it recursively loops through an entire tree and sets it's icon based on the XML attribute "icon":

function setAllIcons(branch){
              for(var i in branch.childNodes){
              var node = branch.getTreeNodeAt(i);
              theTree.setIcon(node,node.attributes['icon']);
              if(node.hasChildNodes){
              setAllIcons(node);
              }
              }
              }

So basically, you run setAllIcons(theTree.dataProvider) after you have loaded and applied the XML.