5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 2:01 PM by mgolanMIT

optimizing previews catalog for two days

mgolanMIT

I may be in deep LightRoom doo-doo here. Any suggestions? 

Not the latest version of LR - LR 6 through CC but I heard horror stories about the patch of a couple weeks ago so I did not install it, I am about 2 months behind. 

1) I saw a post about "Automatically write changes into XMP"? I did that.  (question #4 here:  5 Questions to Help You Make sure Your Photos are Safe Inside Lightroom )

2) I got a new 6TB external drive for my older images

3) Within LR I created a new folder on the 6TB drive then dragged the folder from the 3TB drive there

4) I waited a very long time for about 22,000 files to move over
      5) After the move of all the files was done I quit LR and told it to do the usual backup
      6) The backup was taking over 30 minutes, would not quit, I power cycled the MacBook
      7) Back in LR everything was very sluggish, just trying to move from folder to folder took forever, the screen display was many seconds behind mouse clicks
      8) Quit LR again and left it to do it's backup tasks - after two days it is still "Optimizing previews catalog"

I figure I have a couple of options:
      A) wait a while longer (2 days?) to see if the LR backup runs to completion on it's own
      B) bail out and get my LR catalog from before I did #1 above (I have a backup!) do not do #1 the trick with XMP, instead of trying to move 22,000 files all at once do them in smaller batches

Here's a screen shot with notes...  And some close-ups since this was scaled so small

Optimizing Previews for two days.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

• 1. Re: optimizing previews catalog for two days
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi mgolanMIT,

Sorry for the issues with issues with Lightroom.

• Yes indeed there were a lot of problems with Lightroom 6.2 but then we came out with Lightroom 6.3 which has fixed some issues with the previous version.
          • So the first thing i would suggest you to do is to update to LR 6.3
          • What is the back up location?
          • You have your images on a external drive right?
            • What is the folder structure in there?
          • For the issues with Navigator showing anything else and Library module showing a different preview go to location of your Catalog and move the LR previews folder on desktop(Make sure your LR is not running).
            • Launch LR again and then check if it displays correct image now.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: optimizing previews catalog for two days
            mgolanMIT Level 1

Thanks for your response - some comments and a question about the your comment "...go to location of your Catalog and move the LR previews folder..."

OK - I'll consider 6.3

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for back-ups and I back-up to 3TB and 6TB external hard drives.  I have current backups here at home and slightly older ones in a safe deposit box at a bank

(I also use Time Machine)

The LR back-up that happens when closing LR is in

pictures/lightroom/backups

I have all of my 2015 images and 1/2 of my 2014 images on an internal 1TB SSD inside

pictures/2015

and pictures/2014

I have older images on an external drive attached with FireWire under

LR Arch A/2011

LR Arch A/2012

and so on

LR Previews folder???  I am not sure what you mean. 

I see

pictures/lightroom/Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata

but this is a file, not a folder

How do I exit LR in it's current state?  I can try to stop the process with Activity Monitor, but if that does not work I think power cycling the MacBook is the last resort

• 3. Re: optimizing previews catalog for two days
              rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)
              • Yes exactly this file, Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata move it on desktop but only after you shut down LR either from activity monitor or by Shutting down the computer.
              • The back up that LR makes is the back up of the catalog with your most recent work.

~Rohit

• 4. Re: optimizing previews catalog for two days
                mgolanMIT Level 1

Thanks Rohit!!!

I got through the bulk of my troubles with this.  The catalog backup process is working well now and the response while I am cruising around my library spread across my internal 1TB SSD and my external (by FireWire) 6TB disk is reasonably responsive - back to normal. 

I have another issue that I will post as a separate thread.

• 5. Re: optimizing previews catalog for two days
                  mgolanMIT Level 1

Hey Rohit - my other problem is posted here:

Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo.

Thanks again for helping me through my other problem!!!