7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 6:52 AM by trshaner

Images not sharp in develop mode

jayne68804549

Hi there, I have been Lightroom for a few months now and have realised that my images are sharper in the library module compared to the develop module. I would be so grateful of help. (I have scoured the threads online to find the answer but no luck ) First image in develop mode. Develop mode.jpgLibrarby mode.png

• 2. Re: Images not sharp in develop mode
          jayne68804549 Level 1

Thank you Mrinmay, really appreciate the speedy response. I have read quite a few of these. When I view at 100% there difference is minimal (not as drastic as FIT) however be great if i could export what I could see in develop mode at FIT as it looks clearer. So frustrating.

• 3. Re: Images not sharp in develop mode
            jayne68804549 Level 1

I'm particularly noticing it when I send photos to print. I haven't always had this problem. I have images that look tack sharp in develop and have printed this way.

• 4. Re: Images not sharp in develop mode
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

The only way to evalute sharpness (and noise reduction) accurately and reliably is to view at 1:1.

When I open a new image in Develop, the first thing I do is to view it at 1:1, I pan around the whole image, and check the sharpness.

Once I am satisfied it is sharp, I do most of the editing in Fit view, and it doesn't bother me that sharpness may look different in this view, becuase I already know that the image is sharp.

If you get into the habit of judging sharpness in Fit view you easily end up comparing apples wihth oranges - the magnification will vary due to different image proportions, or because you have cropped the image, because you have a vertical image vs, horizontal, or because you have adjusted the width of the side panels.

And even if you managed to keep the magnification exactly the same for all images in Fit view, it still wouldn't give you true impression of the sharpness - that can only happen at 1:1, where one screen pixel corresponds to one image pixel.

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Images not sharp in develop mode
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jayne68804549 wrote:

Hi there, I have been Lightroom for a few months now and have realised that my images are sharper in the library module compared to the develop module. I would be so grateful of help. (I have scoured the threads online to find the answer but no luck ) First image in develop mode.

I just downloaded the two posted screenshots (Develop +Mode.jpg and Library+Mode.png). The Develop mode screenshot is sharper due to it using a simpler and less accurate algorithm for creating the image Zoom views. This causes the less than 1:1 Zoom views (i.e. Fit) to appear sharper and less noisy than the more accurate Library mode previews.

Re: Develop module & library module aren't matching

• 6. Re: Images not sharp in develop mode
                  jayne68804549 Level 1

Thank you trshaner. I'm not too technical so basically am I right in saying so what I see in develop mode is not what the actual picture will look like?

• 7. Re: Images not sharp in develop mode
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For a full explanation please read the post at the link I provided.

When you see a very visible difference between the Develop and Library previews it's usually an indication of over-sharpening and perhaps insufficient Luminance Noise Reduction. This is especially true with high ISO images (ISO 800 and higher). In addition using Fit or Fill view in the Library module will slightly soften the image due to requiring a 2nd resizing (i.e. to fit or fill the preview window). To get the most accurate rendering use one of the pyramid Library Zoom views 1:16, 1:8, 1:4, 1:3, 1:2, 1:1. When adjusting the Sharpening and Noise Reduction controls make sure you use 1:1 Zoom view mode only. For most images Sharpening Amount of no more than 50 is appropriate and works well. If you see noise in the image (looks like grain) apply a small Luminance setting (10-35 range) to minimize it. The Develop and Library images should now look very close to each other. The Library preview more accurately displays what actual print, screen and Web output will look like. Don't forget to select the appropriate Output Sharpening setting when using 'Imaging Sizing' in the Export module.