13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 12:09 PM by A.T. Romano

I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.

thomas lt27518304

I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.

• 1. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

thomas It

Please give more details.

What version of Premiere Elements? What computer operating system?

What is the source of the songs, and in what format are they?

Please define the issue...

a. you can import these songs into a project, but once imported they playback with no sound in the Edit area

or

b. you cannot import them into a project because you are blocked by import failure message?

In the project where there is no sound for the song(s), is there sound for everything else - example, audio that was part of a video audio file?

Typically iTunes music needs to be converted into a WAV version and then imported into the project. But, we will let the details in your reply point to what needs to be done.

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.
            thomas lt27518304 Level 1

Hi AT

I have Premier Elements 10. I switched to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and lost many of my programs, but had a computer company switch me back to Windows 7. After that, my Adobe Premier Elements 10 program has not worked properly. I get the photo images on the projects that I have created, but not the music I used in the projects. I have tried to re-import the music, but still am unable to hear it. Help!

Tom

• 3. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Because of the history that you give for your situation...important....

1. Does your computer use a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card? If so, that could be a major problem for your Premiere Elements 10 especially if the driver version got updated in the go between Windows operating systems. Premiere Elements 10 has problems with newer version of NIVDIA drivers and needs one from about May 2013.

2. Did QuickTime latest version get installed on the return to Window 7 64 bit? What version of QuickTime 7 is now installed 7.7.8, 7.7.6, or other?

3. Are you running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)?

4. Please define what sound is or is not a problem....you target the songs, but do you also have problems with sounds from files with video and audio linked?

A lot of pieces to put together.

Please consider, supply the details requested, and then we will try to work through the details to find the answers.

Again, please do not hesitate to ask if any questions or need clarification on the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.

Hi AT

My answers to your questions are noted below in bold print. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

• 5. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Thanks for the reply, but the answers were not posted.

Could you try again to post them.

If you are posting from a cell phone or an email notification, consider going to the computer browser to get to the forum and your thread.

I will post a link to your thread below

Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.

Not sure if that can be a route to get the post material posted.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.

Hi AT

Here are your questions and my answers shown in bold text:

1. Does your computer use a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card? If so, that could be a major problem for your Premiere Elements 10 especially if the driver version got updated in the go between Windows operating systems. Premiere Elements 10 has problems with newer version of NIVDIA drivers and needs one from about May 2013.

When Windows 10 affected my computer, I had to have a new hard drive installed. I don’t know what a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card is, but if it came with the new hard drive, then that could be a problem. However, it hasn’t affected anything else that I run that I know of.

2. Did QuickTime latest version get installed on the return to Window 7 64 bit? What version of QuickTime 7 is now installed 7.7.8, 7.7.6, or other?

I have Quick Time Installed, but am not sure what version I run. Can you advise as to how I determine the version? Prior to my problem, I didn’t notice any problems regarding the relationship between Premiere Elements and QuickTime.

3. Are you running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)?

I’m not sure, but I think so. How do I determine this?

4. Please define what sound is or is not a problem....you target the songs, but do you also have problems with sounds from files with video and audio linked?

My music is purchased from I Tunes and I import songs to Premiere Elements to create family photo and music DVD’s. The music imports to Premiere Elements but when I play back on Premiere Elements, I can’t hear it. I can play the music with no problems via I-Tunes and other programs.

Thanks

Tom

• 7. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

thomas lt

Thanks for the follow up.

1. Please go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/where you should find the name of your video card.

Click on Start, and then, in the Search field, type Device Manager. You will see the Device Manager link in the pop up list - top of that left column list. At this point, all we want to know if whether or not that is a NVIDIA GeForce card. If NVIDIA GeForce, look at the Properties/Driver Tab there for driver version and dating.

2. Open QuickTime, and go to Help Menu/About QuickTime Player where you should see the version number.

3. Control Panel/User Accounts and Family Safety/User Accounts....under User Accounts should be a thumbnail for your account. The text inside the thumbnail should include the word administrator if the account is set up for administrator.

4. What is the iTunes music that you import - mp3, wav, other. Whatever it is, please take it through the process of creating a WAV version in iTunes according to the following iTunes how to. Then import that WAV version into the Premiere Elements project with Premiere Elements' Get or Add Media/Files and Folders/

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support

What happens if you use the project's music on the Timeline instead of the iTunes music? Can you hear that music?

Please consider, and then we will decide on next step(s) if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.

Hi AT

Sorry for the late reply…I am a little technically challenged so finding the answers took me longer. Here they are in bold text:

1. Please go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/where you should find the name of your video card.

Click on Start, and then, in the Search field, type Device Manager. You will see the Device Manager link in the pop up list - top of that left column list. At this point, all we want to know if whether or not that is a NVIDIA GeForce card. If NVIDIA GeForce, look at the Properties/Driver Tab there for driver version and dating.

The Video Card is shown as AMD Radeon HD 7450.

2. Open QuickTime, and go to Help Menu/About QuickTime Player where you should see the version number.

The version number is 7.1.3. When I opened Quick Time, it prompted me to upgrade to the newest version, but I didn’t do that yet.

3. Control Panel/User Accounts and Family Safety/User Accounts....under User Accounts should be a thumbnail for your account. The text inside the thumbnail should include the word administrator if the account is set up for administrator.

This shows me as the Administrator.

4. What is the iTunes music that you import - mp3, wav, other. Whatever it is, please take it through the process of creating a WAV version in iTunes according to the following iTunes how to. Then import that WAV version into the Premiere Elements project with Premiere Elements' Get or Add Media/Files and Folders/

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204310>

I scanned my music and most of it is MP3 and MPEG-4, with a few shown as Windows Media Audio File. I’m sure there are others, but these are most of them.

What happens if you use the project's music on the Timeline instead of the iTunes music? Can you hear that music?

I did try switching to Timeline while –playing the project, but got the same result, no sound.

If I can’t find the solution to my sound problem, would upgrading to a newer version of Adobe Photoshop solve the problem?

Thanks again for your help.

Tom

• 9. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Thanks for the follow up with helpful troubleshooting information.

1. Good news that your Premiere Elements 10 is not on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card. That eliminates a possible major source of problems.

2. If you have QuickTime 7.1.3 installed...very old. If you are on Windows 7 64 bit, you should have QuickTime 7.7.8. So this could be a major factor in Premiere Elements problems. So, please update QuickTime to 7.7.8.

QuickTime - Download - Apple

I don't think you are, but if you are back on Windows 10, use QuickTime 7.7.6 instead of 7.7.8.

3. Good about user account with administrative privileges...both Premiere Elements and QuickTime should be run from that type of account.

In addition, you can right click the desktop icon for the Premiere Elements, and, from the menu, select and apply Run As Administrator.

If we cannot resolve the sound issue, we could try for an uninstall/free ccleaner run through/reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled. But I do not know if we are ready for that yet. We could look at the free 30 days tryout of Premiere Elements 14, now just for troubleshooting purposes in order to determine if we are dealing with a computer or version specific issue.

Please remind me...Important - if you import a file with audio included with video, can you hear the audio when the file is played back in Premiere Elements?

Please consider. QuickTime 7.7.8 may give us the advantage we need. Let us see. Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 10. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.

Hi AT

I am out of town but will respond when I return Monday. Thanks so much for

staying on this toward a solution for me. I appreciate your help.

Tom

• 11. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Looking forward to your follow up and finding the solution to the issue when your schedule permits.

ATR

• 12. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.

Hi AT

I installed the latest version of Quick Time, and that solved my problem. Thanks for your patience and your help!!!!

Tom

• 13. Re: I am unable to get the sound to work on songs that I import to a project. What can I do to get the sound to work.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

So glad to learn of your great news. Great job of following through with the troubleshooting. Appreciated.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects and creations.

ATR