9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2009 5:09 AM by Cherax79

full screen issue

aleezeh
      Hi. The director mx don’t run projector in full screen. It always has a border around the edges. Can you plz tell me how to remove it. and run the projector on real full screen. Or which version is the best to use.
        • 1. Re: full screen issue
          Cherax79 Level 1
          It's just because "Full screen" mode in publish settings doesnt change screen resolution to your stage size.

I dont know if director supports change screen resolution methods but I found DisplayMode Xtra which is rather cheap (25 USD) , provides all options I needed and works really fine. You can download and try out it
          here

You can also search other (maybe free) xtras to control screen resolution.
          • 2. Re: full screen issue
            Level 7

----- Original Message -----
            Newsgroups: macromedia.director.basics
            Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 6:20 PM
            Subject: Re: full screen issue

> It's just because "Full screen" mode in publish settings doesnt
            > change screen
            > resolution to your stage size.
            >
            > I dont know if director supports change screen resolution methods
            > but I found
            > DisplayMode Xtra which is rather cheap (25 USD) , provides all
            > options I needed
            > and works really fine. You can download and try out it
            > http://www.starsoftmultimedia.com/xtras/DisplayMode/index.php
            >
            > You can also search other (maybe free) xtras to control screen
            > resolution.
            >

Please, please!
            do not change the users' screen resolution.

It is quite rude to do so, and can mess up the computer.
            All desktop icons will be reordered to fit the new resolution, and
            there is no way to put them back later.
            Also, what happens when you try to set an invalid or unusable screen
            resolution?
            Which monitor are you going to change? The first? The second? The
            third?
            What if the users desktop is locked, and the resolution can not be
            changed?

Changing users' settings is generally a bad idea. Really.

Richard

• 3. Re: full screen issue
              Level 7
              Please notice, changing screen size/resolution with no explicit end-user
              commitment is one of the worst programmer's decisions imaginable.

Changing screen size/rezolution is ubrupt, may affect desktop icons
              configuration and in the worst case - render entire presentation
              unreadable (in case LCD screen only some device-dependent resolution are
              suported).

In my humble opinion it is much better to suggest the end-user to change
              resolution him- or herself than employ some programmatic tricks.

Regards,
              Ziggi
              • 4. Re: full screen issue
                Cherax79 Level 1
                I dont understand what is wrong with changing screen resolution...
                Xtra which I use doesn't affect anything, Changes resolution on projector start and restores back previous resolution on quit.
                Everything seems fine after.

Many, many games does it.

Ofcourse I won't even try to change resolution to some chaotic values but res. like 800x600 , 1024x768 etc. ?
                • 5. Re: full screen issue
                  Level 7
                  Well, the issue is that you are messing with someone's hardware settings
                  without asking for permission. As you say, they just set the res at
                  startup, then reset them back when the projector stops. What happens if
                  the projector crashes? So it never runs it's stopMovie handler and
                  never gets reset back. I know how to change it back manually, but do
                  all of your users? All they know is that you broke their screen, and
                  now their icons are real big, and no longer where they left them. Even
                  when you do get the res back (like rebooting if you used the "temp"
                  setting to change the screen res), then the icons will still be moved
                  around, and not when I wanted them to be.

Also, what if the user has multiple monitors (not too uncommon these
                  days) Are you changing both? What happens when a person wants to play
                  your program on their secondary monitor, but it only changes the screen
                  res on the primary? I have seen this problem before... it is super
                  annoying.

I don't know anything about your application in specific, but "because
                  every one else is doing it" just doesn't sit well with me. Half Life 2
                  used to crash and not reset the screen res on my machine all the time.
                  And that was a program I paid for and wanted to use with the highest
                  available settings. If some random program did that to me, I would be
                  even more upset. The problem was easily solved by using the "windowed"
                  mode which did not change the screen res. If your program does not
                  offer such an option, then you will be upsetting folks for no reason.

Basically, it comes down to an issue of presumption. You do not have
                  some sort of god given right to play your program the way you want to on
                  my computer. Or anyone else's apart from your own. If you do ask for
                  permission and offer an alternative, then it is ok. At least the user
                  is still in control. But if not, then it is very presumptuous.
                  • 6. Re: full screen issue
                    ensamblador Level 1
                    Take a look of this. http://www.evolved.cl/files/testfsproject.rar (not the site, just the rar).

The rar contains an old project, fullscreen. A PC Windows xtra developed by me few years ago for a specific purpose. There is a demo file and a pdf for documentation.

Please quote this post for any who need to put his project in real full screen mode. Report bugs to enrique.rodriguez.garrido AT gmail
                    • 7. Re: full screen issue
                      mziskandar Level 1
                      "Whats wrong with changing user's setting? if M$ can do it, why not us?"

For me, changing setting (resolutions) should be optional IN STANDALONE (.EXE) only! Which will assist overhead projector presentation, odd screen resolution size presentation, etc.

For web movie/apps. Developers should follow the standard and won't mess/reconfigure user's setting. Deliver or die..
                      • 8. Re: full screen issue
                        Cherax79 Level 1
                        Thank You All
                        I must agree that changing screen resolution should be only and not default option.
                        • 9. Re: full screen issue
                          Cherax79 Level 1
                          Thank You All
                          I must agree that changing screen resolution should be only and not default option.