6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 12:33 PM by A.T. Romano

When I import videos, they show up as a red screen PE14

dainvargo Level 1

I am using a PC with Premiere Elements 14. I'm trying to edit videos but when I import the files (.mp4 or .mov files) all i get is a bright red screen. The audio works fine. This only started happening a few days ago. How can I fix this issue?

• 1. Re: When I import videos, they show up as a red screen PE14
          kamnayadav Level 1

Hi Dainvargo,

Can you share the specifics of the machine being used by you? Is it happening with all the mp4 and mov files or just a few clips? Are you using a serialized or trial version of the product?

Thanks

Kamna

• 2. Re: When I import videos, they show up as a red screen PE14
            dainvargo Level 1

Hello, thanks for answering, kamnayadav!

I am using an HP ENVY x360. It has an Intel Core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.3 GHz, 8 GB of RAM, Intel HD Graphics 520. It's running Windows 10. I have QuickTime installed (the latest version from the Apple Software Update program) if that matters.

This has happened with every video I have tried.

I bought the program and entered the serial number when I opened it for the first time.

Thank you for your help,

Dain

• 3. Re: When I import videos, they show up as a red screen PE14
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dain

If you are working on Windows 10 64 bit, please install QuickTime 7.7.6. It is not the latest version, but does meet the Premiere Elements requirement for QuickTime 7. Apple has a problem with QuickTime 7.7.8 (latest version) and Windows 10 64 bit.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1822?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that is recording what is presenting in Premiere Elements as red frames? When you say that this is happening with every video tried, does that mean only these .mp4 and .mov files. If you import jpeg stills, how do they present?

My main focus is the integrity of the QuickTime install coupled with the properties (video compression especially) of those .mp4 and .mov files with the red displays.

You mention Intel HD Graphics 520 as your video card/graphics card. Has the driver version been updated recently? If yes and the driver version is up to date, then explore rolling back the driver. If the card's name is not a misprint, please disable the preference "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and newer)" found Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: When I import videos, they show up as a red screen PE14
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Dain

Add On to my post numbered 3...

I asked about brand/model/settings for camera recording your .mp4 and .mov files. Could these files be coming from a screen capture program?

ATR

• 5. Re: When I import videos, they show up as a red screen PE14
                  dainvargo Level 1

Thank you very much, ATR, your suggestions worked.

IT was probably QuickTime or the Graphics card.

I used videos from both formats and two sources (iPhone and PlayStation game capture software) and they work great!

Thank you again,

Dain

• 6. Re: When I import videos, they show up as a red screen PE14
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Dain

Thanks for letting us know the great news of your progress and success.

With the use video recorded with cell phones and certain other devices, please be on guard for video that is being recorded with a variable instead of a constant frame rate. Premiere Elements has problems with such video. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. The typical remedy is to take this video into the free HandBrake program to get the H.264.mp4 version with a constant frame rate, and then import that into the Premiere Elements project.

But, if all is well at this point, best continue on your successful course.

Best wishes moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR