16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 3:09 AM by gt92076288

??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects

gt92076288

I drag-and-drop film clips from various folders onto the new Premiere film project but the clips then disappear from the time-line unless the clip is kept on the desk-top. Even after saving the work the clip will not show and I get an error message 'media not found'

Any guidance appreciated

• 1. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, can you confirm if you're asking about Premiere Pro or Premiere Elements? Also, which version of that program and on what operating system.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Finally, when you say "unless the clip is kept on the desktop", are you saying that you're moving or deleting the file from your computer after you add it to your project? You do know that any media you add to your project must remain on your computer while you are editing your project, right?

• 3. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects

It's looks like you're trying to respond by answering an e-mail on your phone rather than posting to the forum, gt. Your response is posting blank.

Please go to the Premiere Elements forum to type a response to this thread.

• 4. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects
              gt92076288 Level 1

First, can you confirm if you're asking about Premiere Pro or Premiere Elements? Also, which version of that program and on what operating system.

It is Premiere Elements 13 running on Windows 10

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Panasonic HC-V210 but I download onto the computer before then downloading to the Premiere project

Finally, when you say "unless the clip is kept on the desktop", are you saying that you're moving or deleting the file from your computer after you add it to your project? No, I do not delete the file afterwards.  I download some from 'Dropbox' to the Premiere project and some from other files. I have also tried moving the clip to the desktop,saving the project, then moving the clips to a folder on the desktop but unless the actual clip is still on the desktop I get the 'media not found' error message

You do know that any media you add to your project must remain on your computer while you are editing your project, right? Yes

• 5. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects
                gt92076288 Level 1

Hopefully you have received now?

• 6. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects

if you are moving the file's location after you add it to a Premiere Elements project, you are breaking the link between the program and the file.

The file must be on your computer and in the same location in order for the program to maintain the link to it while you are editing your video.

• 7. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects
                    gt92076288 Level 1

Thank you for that response.  I am though rather puzzled that after I 'save' a project then move the clips to a folder (rather than have a desk top full of individual clips); when I reopen the saved project I get an error message 'media not found', unless the clips are still on the desk top

• 8. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects

Because you are moving the clips after you establish the link to your project. If you move the video after you save your project, the program doesn't know where you're moving them to.

You need to move the video files to where you're going to save them BEFORE you add them to the project.

• 9. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects
                        gt92076288 Level 1

Because you are moving the clips after you establish the link to your project. If you move the video after you save your project, the program doesn't know where you're moving them to.But I thought that once the project was saved the clips would automatically be saved within the project and the programme would not need to re-find them when the programme was next opened?

You need to move the video files to where you're going to save them BEFORE you add them to the project. Yes, that's what I thought and that's what I tried first.

Many thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated

• 10. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects
                          whsprague Level 4

gt92076288 wrote:

.But I thought that once the project was saved the clips would automatically be saved within the project and the programme would not need to re-find them when the programme was next opened?

Premier Elements and other editors are "non-distructive".   Some photo software like Lightroom and Picassa, but not Photoshop, work the same.  They register where the image files are and never change them.  What you see in the editing windows are "previews" with connections to the originals.   It is not always intuitive for everyone.  It creates confusion for people that are used to other software programs where the files are copied "in" to the host program. 

To be neat and tidy with video editing, you need to put the original source files, or copies of them, in a folder created specifically for the project.   Then you can move, archive or backup that folder in various ways and maintain the integrity of the project with it's connections to the source files.  It can be a little tricky for the host program if you transfer the entire folder to something like an external drive.  But, the source files will be with it and you can "re-map" the connections with a few simple steps.

An alternate is the archive function within Premier Elements.  You can create a project with a disorganized connection to assets randomly stored on your computer.  Depending on settings at the time, you can "archive" the project, complete with copies of the source files, to some other storage media.  Later, if you don't want the original source files, you can get rid of them.

• 11. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects
                            gt92076288 Level 1

Hi

To be neat and tidy with video editing, you need to put the original source files, or copies of them, in a folder created specifically for the project.

That is what I did to start with and I could drag/drop them into the project and 'save' but once the project was opened again, the 'media not found' error message appeared. If I save the project and then move the clips I also get the error message and always unless the clips are actually on the desk top.

• 12. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects

Because you MOVED the files after you added them to the project, gt!

Adding media to a video project (with any video editor) doesn't actually put them in the project. It establishes a link to the media file from the project -- and that link must remain as you work on the project. When you move the file after adding to the project, you break that link.

• 13. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects
                                gt92076288 Level 1

Adding media to a video project (with any video editor) doesn't actually put them in the project. It establishes a link to the media file from the project -- and that link must remain as you work on the project. When you move the file after adding to the project, you break that link.

Hi Steve.

I have underlined some words in your response above. I would think that once I have 'saved' the project the clips/media would remain on the project and not need to be kept on the desktop??

Thanks again

• 14. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects

No. That's not how video editing works.

Saving the project saves the links to the media files. It doesn't save a copy of the media files in the project.

When you move the files, the link is broken and the project can't find them.

I don't know any other way to say it, gt.

• 15. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects
                                    kamnayadav Level 1

GT,

In this case since you are moving the clips around, the application needs you to relocate the assets on project reopen. You can use the Project Archiver option present under File->Project Archiver->Archive and save the project alongwith copies of the assets to the desired location. After doing so you wont get the media locator dialog.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Kamna

• 16. Re: ??? Errors on downloading clips to Premiere film projects
                                      gt92076288 Level 1

OK, thank you for your input, much appreciated