11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 5:49 AM by A.T. Romano

PE14 DVD problem (Mac)

jeremys43819655

I'm pretty new to this, and I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong...

I am unable to burn a DVD from PE 14 on an early 2011 MacBook Pro, running OSX 10.10.5.  Here's what's happening:

In the Export & Share window, I select "Disc" and "DVD" at the top of the window, then "Disc" (not ISO) at the bottom.  The software recognizes the burner and sees the blank disc.

I click "Burn" and the encoding process begins, and seems to proceed normally.  Once that step is done (takes a couple of hours), the DVD burning step takes only a few seconds to get to 98%, then seems to get stuck there and the DVD ejects, obviously with nothing on it.  I've attached a screenshot of this last part.

There must be some setting I'm unaware of, so if someone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!  Thank you!

-Jeremy

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.38.03 PM.png

• 1. Re: PE14 DVD problem (Mac)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jerremys

Thanks for the troubleshooting information.

Your screenshot points to you having a very large project - the bitrate has had to be lowered from the max 8.00 Mbps to 6.99 Mbps in order to make the fit on your DVD disc labelled 4.7 GB/120 minutes. In reality, that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB.

Do you have menus in this project? If so, do you have a stop marker at the end of the last file on the Timeline? If so, remove the stop marker and determine if the burn to disc is successful.

Depending on that results...

For troubleshooting purposes, make a copy of the original project and work with the copy on the following.

Delete 1/4 to 1/2 of the project's content, and determine if the burn to disc is successful.

Please consider, and supply more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE14 DVD problem (Mac)
            jeremys43819655 Level 1

Hi AT,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, even after reducing the bitrate to 6.98, I had almost exactly the same problem.  This time, the DVD burning process got to 4%, then jumped straight to "Completed," but with no playable disc.  In fact the computer does not recognize the DVD in the drive at all now. I'll try again later to see if a shorter timeline will burn, but it seems strange that an 80 minute movie should have to be split up onto 2 DVDs.  Am I wrong about this?

• 3. Re: PE14 DVD problem (Mac)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jeremys

Thanks for the update.

Let us see if there is any relationship between the size of your project and your problems.

At the Timeline level of your project, where does the Timeline Indicator stop at playback - at the end of the Timeline content or does it go beyond that?

What are your computer specifications?

We will try to put all this information together for a what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE14 DVD problem (Mac)
                greg42082110

I would suggest burning your video export to an ISO image file first then use a separate process/step to burn the ISO image to a DVD.

A.T. Romano has made some good suggestions. You should also refer to "Error compiling movie" during render or export

Sometime there are problem clips in the project that can cause the export file. For instance I had a JPEG file in the project that cause the burn process to fail. Using the process of elimination identified above by removing various elements and reattempting the burn worked. However, it is very tedious and takes a lot of time to find the issue.

Greg

• 5. Re: PE14 DVD problem (Mac)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Greg

Do you use Premiere Elements 14 Mac? If so, what utility have you been using to put your Premiere Elements 14 Mac generated DVD-VIDEO iso file on DVD disc? The popular choice for Premiere Elements 14 Windows is ImgBurn (a Windows only free software).

More comments later after jeremys responds to prior questions.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE14 DVD problem (Mac)
                    jeremys43819655 Level 1

Well, I've tried a combination of these suggestions, (lowering the bit rate and burning to an ISO file) which got me closer than anything else has so far.  I burned the ISO file to a DVD from Disk Utilities, which seemed to work until I actually tried to play it.  The DVD player app says "Supported Disc not available," and when I double click the DVD icon on the desktop, the window that opens shows 0 items.

I've been trying to complete this project since Thanksgiving, and I'm beginning to feel like Premiere was a waste of money.  This is supposed to be "prosumer" software!  How can such a basic function be so hard to accomplish?

• 7. Re: PE14 DVD problem (Mac)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jeremys

Thanks for the update.

Did you actually do as suggested

For troubleshooting purposes, make a copy of the original project and work with the copy on the following.

Delete 1/4 to 1/2 of the project's content, and determine if the burn to disc is successful.

Or, did you instead just experiment somehow with the bitrate manually with the "Fit Content To Available Space" disabled?

When you wrote,

lowering the bit rate and burning to an ISO file) which got me closer than anything else has so far.

that is encouraging me into thinking troubleshooting from the project size point of view. And, I still look at

Let us see if there is any relationship between the size of your project and your problems.

At the Timeline level of your project, where does the Timeline Indicator stop at playback - at the end of the Timeline content or does it go beyond that?

What are your computer specifications?

What is the result if you select Type: ISO Image (8.5 GB) instead of ISO Image (4.7 GB)?

Could you post a screenshot of the preferences listed under your Edit Menu/Preferences/General?

The specified item was not found.

Before much more time passes, have you contacted Adobe's online Adobe Chat for support under downloading, installing, and setting up?

Since you have the current version, Adobe might support you to the extent of offering remote control of computer troubleshooting which we cannot. If interested, Contact Customer Care

That does not prohibit us from probing the matter here.

Please consider.

ATR

• 8. Re: PE14 DVD problem (Mac)
                        jeremys43819655 Level 1

ATR,

I only adjusted the bitrate (which was also your suggestion), but I'm going to try cutting the length of the project today.  Unfortunately, I really only have time to try one thing per day, and there have been a lot of good suggestions.  I'm not disregarding anything, I just haven't had a chance to try them all yet!  Also, to answer some of your earlier questions:  I don't have a stop marker at the end of the timeline, and playback does not continue past the end of the timeline content.  Here are screenshots of my general settings, general preferences, and computer specs.

-Jeremy

Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 10.20.29 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-09 at 10.20.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-09 at 10.22.18 AM.png

• 9. Re: PE14 DVD problem (Mac)
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

jeremys

Thanks for the update with helpful troubleshooting information.

I did not mention that you should alter the bitrate manually. Rather, what I wrote was just restating what your Expert & Share/Disc/DVD workspace showed

Your screenshot points to you having a very large project - the bitrate has had to be lowered from the max 8.00 Mbps to 6.99 Mbps in order to make the fit on your DVD disc labelled 4.7 GB/120 minutes. In reality, that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB.

The suggestion was to look at 1/4 to 1/2 the project to determine if that shortened project would go to a successful burn to disc. Thanks for looking at that next as your schedule permits. What you might incorporate into that plan....if you cut a copy of the original in 1/2 for this test, determine if each of those halves can be burned to disc. This might point to and localize a flaw in the Timeline content.

Thanks again for the follow up. Appreciated.

ATR

• 10. Re: PE14 DVD problem (Mac)
                            jeremys43819655 Level 1

Ok, so here's today's update:

I cut about half of the timeline, bringing the total time down from about 1 hour 20 minutes to about 46 minutes.  I removed video, audio, titles and markers.  (I also changed the bitrate, since I hadn't seen your latest reply yet.  Thanks for clearing that up, ATR! Obviously a misunderstanding on my part.)  The DVD burned, but it ejected at 98% and PE froze, and I had to force quit the program.  At first glance, this does seem to be a playable DVD (though my menu looks like a mess... that's a whole different topic!).  The question now is: Do I simply need to create two DVDs, and abandon the idea of getting all this material on one disc?  A third possibility of course, is creating a set of m4v or mp4 files instead of physical media... I'm starting to lean in that direction, if for no other reason than I have a client who's been very patient, but would also like to get their video!

-Jeremy

• 11. Re: PE14 DVD problem (Mac)
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeremy

Thanks for the follow ups and exploring the troubleshooting suggestions.

Let us do a recap which might point to overlooks....

1. What happens if you make a copy of the project, cut it in half, and then try to burn each half to disc? Do both halves burn to disc successfully or does one and not the other? Here I am looking for flaw in content rather than size of project.

2. Can you burn the entire content of this project to iso image? Export & Share/Disc/ISO Image 4.7 GB or 8.5 GB?

3. What happens if you leave the entire Timeline content as is but in the copy of the original project remove all the Timeline markers and burn to without menus? Do you get a successful burn to disc without the menus?

ATR