38 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 9:08 PM by A.T. Romano

I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?

Bill in Burbank

I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former projects to load in it.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

What is the setup...do you still have 13/13.1 installed on this same computer with 14? Please remind me of the computer or computers involved?

Make sure that you are working with copies of the 13/13.1 project files when you are trying to open these project file in 14.

My first thoughts are that you might have some media project disconnects in there. But, that will depend if you were moving, deleting, renaming files and folders involved in 13/13.1 before you tried to open the 13/13.1 project files in 14.

What is happening when you right click the 13/13.1 project file, select Open With from the menu, and then Adobe Premiere Elements 14?

Error messages, other?

Let us start here.

ATR

• 2. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
            Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi A.T. - I just had a lengthy reply made out to you, but somehow I lost it when I tried to send it to you.  I'll try to reconstruct it.

You asked if I still had 13.0/13.1, yes I do.  It's a 64-bit system, and yes I downloaded the 64-bit version of 14.0.  In fact, I did it twice to see if my problem was caused by a faulty download before I contacted you.  And no, I wasn't moving,deleting, renaming files or folders before I downloaded 14.0.

What is happening, is when I load 14.0 Video Editor and go to Open File, I get a list of my 13.0 projects but on an odd screen.  At the bottom of the screen, there is no OPEN box, only a SELECT box.  And when I go to highlight the project I would like to load and then click on SELECT (since that's my only choice), I get a gray screen labeled "File Import Failure".  And it says below:

"This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"

That's as far as I get.  End of day. 

What gives, A.T. ?                                        Bill North

• 3. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
              Bill in Burbank Level 1

Are you receiving my replies, A.T. ?  It isn't clear.  I click on "Comment".  What happened to "Send" ?      Bill North

• 4. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                Bill in Burbank Level 1

I'll try again.    I still have the same 13.0/13.1 64-bit system I had.  I downloaded the 64-bit version of 14.0, twice in fact because I thought it might have been a faulty download causing my trouble.

No, I didn't mess around with any of my files or folders before I downloaded 14.0; I know better.

What is happening is, when I load 14.0 Video Editor, and then go to Open File to load a project, I get an odd-looking screen; at least it's different than I used to get in 13.0.  All my projects are on the odd-looking screen, but when I go to highlight the project I would like to load, I used to click on OPEN in a box at the bottom of the screen.  This screen has no OPEN, only a SELECT box.  When I click on the SELECT box, I immediately get a large gray screen labeled: "File Import Failure".   And below that it says:

"This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."    

And that is the end of the day for me . . . .                         Bill North

• 5. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Please work with a copy of your 13/13.1 project file as a safety net.

Where is your 13/13.1 project file stored on the hard drive? Have Premiere Elements 14 closed.

Go to where the 13/13.1 project file is stored, right click that file, select Open With, and the Adobe Premiere Elements 14.

Does your 13/13.1 project file copy then open in the Premiere Elements 14 program?

ATR

• 6. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                    Bill in Burbank Level 1

Yes, it does open in PE 14 but WITHOUT any pictures in the expert timeline.  Just the red space-holders that say
                    "media off-line" in a dozen different ways for each one.  Narrations are there, titles are there, soundtracks are there, but the little pictures aren't.

And when the project is loaded into PE14, I still get that very odd screen labeled "Documents Library" in large letters at the top.   I say it's odd because it seems chopped up into parts: one part computer "folder tree", one part projects along with a bunch of narration files(!) labeled "Documents Library", and  a large blank part for "Select file to preview".  And if I select a file to preview in that screen, that's when I get the No Codec error message.

My projects screen in 13.1 is very large and simple, showing only a list of my projects.

Bill

• 7. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                      Bill in Burbank Level 1

Oh, and you asked where my projects are stored on my hard-drive for 13.1.  They are neatly stored in a folder labeled 13.0 in a folder called "Premier Elements" in a folder called "Adobe"..

And, I just tried to open a project directly in 14.0.  I got the chopped up screen but it showed it was in the 13.0 folder(even though I opened it from 14.0), and along the top of the screen was a dark blue strip that said in bright white print:

"Where is the file '00058.MTS" ?

I tried to select a project and got the No Codec screen.                   Bill

• 8. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Here is the plan.

Go to the 13.0 Folder where you have the project that you want to open in 14. Make a copy from which to work. Right click the copy. Select Open With and then Adobe Premiere Elements 13 from the menu that appears. Does the project open in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 with everything OK - all media present?

Then right click a copy of this same 13/13.1 project. Select Open With then Adobe Premiere Elements 14 from the menu that appears. Does the project open in Premiere Elements 14 with everything there as expected? If not, please post screenshot of any irregularities - unexplained pop ups, error messages, etc.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                          Bill in Burbank Level 1

I did as you said, made a copy of a project in 13.0, put it in another folder, right-clicked on it in the other folder, and "Opened with" PE 13.  It loaded, but NO pictures in the time-line, just the red space-holders.  So, I stopped; I didn't open with PE 14 .   (What do you mean by "post a screenshot of any irregularities" .  Do you mean send a copy of the screen to you?  I do not know how to do that. 

Sounds like a great idea.  I could send that odd screen I get when I try to open a project in PE 14.)

• 10. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Thanks for the important information. If you cannot open a 13/13.1 project file in 13/13.1, then trying to open it is 14 is not applicable.

Use your Windows Snipping Tool to make a jpeg screenshot of the strange things that you are seeing and then post that screenshot in a reply in this thread. Use the following how to

The specified item was not found.

What happens if you create a new project in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and try to reopen it. And, if you can, try to open it in 14?

ATR

• 11. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                              Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi A.T. - More bad news; I can't even create a new project in PE13 because if I try to import pictures from the organizer using the "regular way" of "add Media", when I click on "Add Files", this screen pop up every time.:

Revel ad.PNG

And when I try to do it through our "work-around" we developed where I highlight the picture in the Organizer and from the drop-down edit menu, I click on "Edit with Photoshop Elements Editor, I get the

following screen

:Unsuccessful Download.PNG

When I used to do this before I downloaded PE 14, it would insert the highlighted picture(s) directly to the timeline.

What do you think is going on?   P.S. Aren't you glad you taught me about screen shots?  I am.

• 12. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Thanks for the gorgeous screenshots.

Did you know that Adobe Revel is discontinued all services to Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and 13/13.1 in February 2016. Adobe Revel was never put into Premiere Elements 14.

At this point...

1. Sign out permanently from Adobe Revel. Essentially purging it from your Premiere Elements 13/13.1. See

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2015/11/pe-12121-13131-adobe-revel-discontinued.html

Then try your usual way of importing from Elements Organizer to Premiere Elements Editor.

2. We need to wage war on your issues importing media into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 using Add Media/Files and Folders.

Tomorrow afternoon and after we will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 13. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                  Bill in Burbank Level 1

I thought I signed out permanently from REVEL about 3 months ago when I thought it was corrupting my system and I learned about the same time they were discontinuing the service.

I notice there still are some "Mobile Albums" in the Albums column of PsE13 Organizer, but I don't see a way of  deleting them. The drop-down menu you get when right-clicking them does not include any form of "delete".   There are no pictures in any Mobile Album that is not already on my hard drive.

I just tried importing pictures to a new project in PrE13, and when I clicked on "Add Files" in Add Media, I got the same REVEL ad I told you about before. It wants me to sign up for REVEL !!!!  Here it is again:

Revel ad.PNG

• 14. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                    Bill in Burbank Level 1

I just tried to import with our workaround highlighting the pictures in PE13 and clicking on "Edit with Premier Elements Editor", and got the same other message I included before and will happily again because I know how to do it ;

Unsuccessful Download.PNG

There. I did it again.                   Bill

• 15. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Let us start from the top, we agree that you cannot open your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project files in Premiere Elements 14.

But, can you open a new Premiere Elements 14 project and get that to work for you in every way - that includes your free choice to import media Premiere Elements 14 Editor Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Asset as well as Elements Organizer workspace Edit with Premiere Elements Editor?

ATR

• 16. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                        Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi A.T. - No, I cannot open files successfully in 13 OR 14.  No little thumbnails appear in the timeline, no editing with Premier Elements which used to work.

And I have some more bad news for you I am afraid.  Without consulting you, I downloaded the new upgrade to 14 called 14.1 which they offered me, thinking it might solve some of our problems.  It said it had "fixes" in it.  Not for ME !   In fact, it made things worse.  Somehow I have lost ALL "connections" for my pictures in the Organizer.  ALL of them.  When I highlight a picture to edit it, it begins its lengthy search process for the connection.  Oh God!  But isn't someplace in Preferences where I could correct which folder its searching for pictures in?  Please let me know.

If not, I am considering going to "Restore Points" in Windows to go back to where my computer was a few days ago.  This is getting ridiculous.  I would try to get ride of 14 and 14.1 altogether and go back to 13/13.1 which we had working pretty well.  I don't see how Adobe can introduce  programs with so many glitches in them!

Bill

• 17. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

In shock. I have a blog post and Premiere Elements Forum thread on Premiere Elements 14.1. Not much is known about 14.1 beyond includes "bug fixes and performance improvements".Premiere Elements 14.1 Update

Please remind me what computer operating system you are now using - Windows 7 64 bit or other?

How much is on that computer? Any chance you can go beyond System Restore and take it back to the factory settings?

And, at the present time, please let me know what you have for the computer's installed and available RAM and free hard drive space. What about your video card/graphics card - up to date driver version? QuickTime installed. Still running program as administrator? Problems with or without antivirus and firewalls disabled? Any new security programs installed? Running antivirus scans and optimizing computer and all the rest?

Even if you get back to 13/13.1, you are still facing a forced import from the Elements Organizer which is not normal. The only saving grace of that would be to keep moving forward in your project with the workaround imports.

Please remind me - did you download the 14 tryout from Adobe or did you go direct to purchase from Adobe as download?

Please consider.

Thanks. Do not give up in spite of the present situation.

ATR

• 18. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                            Bill in Burbank Level 1

Thank you for your prompt reply.  Here is all you asked for:

- I am using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

- I have "798 GB free of 1.81TB" my Drive C says

- I wouldn't want to go back to factory settings In System Restore.  I would be afraid I'd lose too much.  I looked and there are several restore points to choose from the last few months.

- I have 8 MB of Ram installed and I guess "798 GB" of free hard drive space.  (See above) When I just looked at the Performance  Tab of Task Manager, virtually all of the 8 GB was free.

- Video Graphics card: EVGA GT40 Never up dated it since I purchased it last April, 2015.  How do I do it?

- Quick Time is installed and regularly updated, but I notice it's the 32-bit version.  Do I need to change to a 64-bit?  How?

- I'm still running as the Administrator.

- No problems with my Norton 360 Anti-virus and firewall, but I think I forgot to disable them when I downloaded 14.1.  I think I would have been warned if it were a problem though.

- No new security programs installed.

- Have not run any separate anti-virus scans or optimizing computer stuff, although I think Norton 360 does the optimizing stuff automatically when the computer is dormant.

- I directly purchased the 14 download from Adobe.  No tryout.

Hope this helps - - -                                                    Bill

• 19. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Still thinking about what next...back soon with follow up....but right now, are you sure about your video card/graphics card name?

You have EVGA GT40....could it be EVGA GT640?

I think that got brought up in September 2015 and sort of got pushed aside.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8003342?tstart=0#8003342

ATR

• 20. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                Bill in Burbank Level 1

I have the Graphics Card written down in my handwriting on the bill of sale as EVGA GT40.  I asked the guy at the time because somebody is always asking about the Video Card I have I've learned.  Is there a way to check on the computer without taking it apart?

Bill

• 21. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

You can check what video card/graphics card that your computer uses by going to Device Manager/Display Adapters/. Under Display Adapters, you should see the name of your card. If you double click the name of your card, you get to the card's Properties and the Properties' Driver Tab where you can see driver version and dating. If your computer uses more than one video card/graphics card, you will see all the cards listed.

Have you gone to the Device Manager before? If not...Start Menu, in Search field type in Device Manager, click on the Device Manager link that appears to that left column.

Hoping that the card is an window of opportunity to a solution.

ATR

• 22. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                    Bill in Burbank Level 1

Thank you for the very complete directions to the Device Manager, A.T.  This is what I found: There are two video cards. the one that came with the computer and the on I added.

- Intel(R) HD graphics 4600

- NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 (I was wrong!)

- Driver Version  9.18.13.4752

- Driver Date -  2/5/2015

I noticed a "Driver Update" box, so I clicked on it, and Windows began a search for an update software.  It didn't find any, I guess, because it finally said something like "the best software for this device is already loaded".  I think I'll do a software search for the other card while I'm at it.  Ok, I did it, and this time it seemed to download an update for that card because it said something like "the latest software has been downloaded for this device".

Ok, now I'll see if get the little thumbnails on the expert timeline in PremEl 14.  Stand by:  Nope, I don't.  Same red "space-holders".   AND, it still says at the top of the strange screen I get "Where is the File '00058.MTS' ?   Is that significant?

Bill

• 23. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

What did you update - the Intel or the NVIDIA GeForce card or both?

The Adobe Forums people classically say to update the driver version from the web site of the manufacturer of the card. Do not count on Device Manager/Display Adapters/card name, card Properties/Driver Tab and Update Driver.

Where was the file coming from (Premiere Elements Add Media or your Elements Organizer way) when you wrote

I'll see if get the little thumbnails on the expert timeline in PremEl 14.

As for

Where is the File '00058.MTS

highly significant and needs to be put in context with what you were doing at that time?

a. Where is that file stored?

b. Where you importing that into Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from it saved location when you got that message?

c. Does this 00058.MTS exist to the extent that you can see it in its hard drive save location?

When you get finished with the above and we have determined why the "Where is the File '00058.MTS", I want you to explore the following, especially if you are having unexplained import and other project problems....

a. Device Manager/Display Adapters .... disable the NVIDIA under its Properties Driver Tab...do not uninstall it, just disable it.

Make sure the Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver version is up to day. Look at the program performance with and with a check mark next to the preference "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and newer)".

Did you see the details of the Premiere Elements 14.1 Update just posted...?

Adobe Premiere Elements 14.1 update | Adobe Content Corner

ATR

• 24. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                        Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi A.T. - Wo! You gave me a lot of work to do, but I was able to accomplish most of it.  Here is what I found:

- I updated the NVIDIA GeForce card FROM the manufacturer's website this time like you wanted.  I tried to update the Intel card too both from the Windows screen where it said it would search for the latest updates -[ - and from the Intel website.  Even downloaded their Driver Update Utility, but it didn't tell me anything!  Came up with blank drivers after its scan, and I had disabled the  NVIDIA card at the time. Studied the available update drivers on the Intel site then but two of them I downloaded said they were incompatible with my system, so I gave up. I am using the NVIDIA card though now (enabled again), and the guy who sold it to me sold it to me because I was going to be using  Photoshop and he said that card would serve me quite a while as they made improvements to Photoshop.  It is downloaded with the latest available upgrades now too.

- I disabled the NVIDIA card and tried to download a project in PrElem14, but I got the same red space-holders on the Expert timeline instead of the little pictures.

- I searched for the 00058,MTS file on the entire C drive and found 4 examples of it, all in the same place.  Where it is stored is:

C:\Users\new\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\MediaCacheFiles\00058.MTS

-And while I was copying all that down for you on the Computer Search screen, after a few minutes I got this "All Media Failure Error Message" 

The screen said, "This type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed"  (Sound familiar?)

-You asked what I was doing when I received the original "Where is the File 00058.MTS? notation oat the top of the screen in the blue line.  I was trying to download an existing project into the Expert timeline in Premier Elements 14, and I got that odd screen I have been trying to tell you about.  Here it is:

Open project.PNG

- I tried to look at the "program performance" for HD Graphics 4600 driver but could find no "program performance" tab.  Where do I look for a check mark "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and newer)"?

Regards, Bill  (Whew!)

• 25. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Just about to call it a day, but I needed to respond to your latest report to keep things moving along.

1. What is your recollection of what should be in this file named 00058.mts. The place where you said that you found it (Media Cache Files Folder) houses conformed audio files with cfa and pek file extensions.So the question becomes, what is that 00058.mts file doing there?

2. When you get that "Where is the file 00058.mts ?" message, you are presumably trying to open a saved closed project file. When you see the dialog that you show in the screenshot, do not presume that the dialog is opening to the right place. You have to be the one who knows where the file is and browse to it and select it where you know it is. And, the file that you select must be the same file that was imported into the project and which has gone missing.

When you get that message and have no idea what the file is or where it is, hit the Skip All button which will permit you to enter into the project (which should have a lot of colorful missing media displays in Project Assets and on the Timeline). In doing this, perhaps seeing what is missing in the project will refresh your memory as to what file is being looked for by the project.

As for the video card/graphics card, I would disable the NVIDIA GeForce, enable the Intel HD Graphics 4600, and go with whatever you found so far as the best driver for the Intel HD Graphics 4600. If NVIDIA GeForce enabled and Intel HD Graphics 4600 disabled works better, then go that route.

If you are using NVIDIA GeForce, then go to Premiere Elements Expert workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark next to the preference Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher).

If you are using Intel HD Graphics 4600, then go to Premiere Elements Expert workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure to have a check mark next to the preference Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher).

Thank you for exploring the troubleshooting and the work that you have put into this troubleshooting. Let us see if we can sort through the above to gain success.

I will revisit your thread in the morning morning to catch up with your progress.

ATR

• 26. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                            Bill in Burbank Level 1

I found the 00058.mts file!!!!!!  It is a video file with my friend on a tractor, I will call the tractor file from here on.

I searched for it and opened it and opened it in the Organizer and found what it was.  I found another file with a similar title (00059.mts) and tracked it down.  It was in the Media Cache File of Premier Elements along with all the other picture files.  And the tractor file (00058.mts) was there too, in several forms.  Nevertheless to be safe, I copied it to the Media Cache folder again anyway and tried to open the project.  GOT THE SAME MESSAGE: Where is File 00058.MTS?  I know where it is; it's right where it's supposed to be.  Then I tried to open the project anyway and got the same old error message: This type of file is not supported or the correct Codec is not installed.

I did what you said about the video graphics card.  I have disabled the Intel HD Graphics card and enabled the NVIDIA card; I think I had them bot enabled.  Undid the Hardware Acceleration check mark like you said in Preferences too.

I just tired to open an older project and got the same Codec message, but continued anyway and the project DID load WITH the thumbnail pictures in the time-line, even though I got the same error messages and it was asking where a different file was.  So then I tried to load the recent project I have been working with, I got the same Codec error message AND now it's asking where another file is. But when this project loaded, it loaded with only the red space-holders for the pictures.

I am getting discouraged, A.T.  And we have not even addressed the problem that ALL my pictures have lost their "Connections".  I am thinking these glitches are beyond us and I should use "Restore Points" to go back to PE 13 and Premier Elements 13.  Since my PE13 is somewhat screwed up too (cannot import pictures through Add Media the correct way), I would even consider uninstalling PE 13 AND 14, and BUYING a new DISK set from Amazon for PE 13 if I could get it..  They used to sell the "old" versions at discounted prices.  I have never trusted "Download" upgrades from Photoshop. I didn't have these problems when we could buy the hard disks.

What are your thoughts?  I think there is something(s) SERIOUS wrong with my downloaded programs.  And I doubt it would work to download 14 again because I have already done it twice.

- Bill

• 27. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Version Issue 13 versus 14, Buy?

What is the present status of 13 - do you have purchased installation files or disc and a purchased serial number for it.

What is the present status of 14 - please remind me if you ever purchased it and obtained a purchased serial number. Or, did you always work with the tryout out of that program. At this point, I would advise you not to buy anything. We will talk about this once I am reminded about what is purchased and which is tryout.

Where are you working on project at this time - 13/13.1 or 14/14.1?

Assuming either but nevertheless the same problem project

The matter of files 00058.mts and 00059.mts.

Are you sure that you have found video files and not preview files from rendering either on of these on the project's Timeline?

For the "Where is the file 00058.mts or 00059.mts? to work to recover the file for your project, it is critical that you have the exact file that the message is looking for (exact for name, type of file, etc). I cannot explain how you could find source media in the Media Cache Folder which houses conformed audio files which are automatically put there by the program. This is the plan....if this works, then we may have a handle to this problem...or part of it...

1. Great job of finding the 00058.mts and 00059.mts files source files. I am assuming that is what they are - source media.

Put them in a folder name Special Troubleshooting and save that folder to Documents/Videos.

2. Open the problem project? You should be greeted by the first of the missing media messages. Click Skip All at the bottom of the message.

That should get you into the opened project's workspace.

3. In the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, find the Project Assets thumbnail for 00058.mts. If we are on the right troubleshooting direct, that thumbnail would have the characteristic missing media look.

4. Right click that specific thumbnail in Project Assets, select Replace Footage. Navigate to the Special Troubleshooting Folder in Documents/Videos, open the folder, select 00058, followed by Open.

5. Does all that recover the 00058.mts to the project workspace?

Your report of a video file in the Media Cache Files Folder worries me, and I wonder about your project's Scratch Disk set up...

and still thinking about whether to do this before or after the 00058.mts and 00059.mts work described above.

Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks....set all the categories (including Media Cache) to "Same As Project" and on path Documents/Adobe/Adobe Premiere Elements/13.0/

And, for the project, do a Save As with the project file saved to the same Documents/Adobe/Adobe Premiere Elements/13.0/

Please consider. As a safety net make copies of files with which you are exploring and experimenting.

Your finding of 00058.mts and 00059.mts was a major breakthrough. I am hoping that we can make major gains from this moving forward.

ATR

• 28. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                                Bill in Burbank Level 1

Have printed out your comprehensive message.

I have purchased download Versions 13 and 14 outright and have registered serial numbers for all.

After I wrote you my  discouraged reply a few hours ago, I got to thinking: Is there a relationship between my loss of connections in the Organizer and the projects not being able to find picture files when they attempt to download?  If we solved the lack-of-connection issue, might not that solve our problem(s)?  Can we work on that before we try the above?

Bill

• 29. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Good morning.

Whether you are in the Elements Organizer or in a re-opened saved closed Premiere Elements project, the files in the Elements Organizer browser and Premiere Elements project are just copies of the originals which should still be at the save location that you designed when you imported them into Elements Organizer and Premiere Elements.

That takes us back to how strict you were in not moving, deleting, or renaming any of those originals

a. after they were imported into the Elements Organizer

and

b. after they were imported into Premiere Elements and the project was saved closed.

Although the "moving, deleting, or renaming" factor is the typical problem, storage of the originals on a malfunctioning external hard drive can be the cause of media-project disconnect issues. Are you changing drive letters for an external hard drive or any computer drive where originals are saved?

Answers to the above can be our target. But, as part of the media-project disconnect issue, I would like you to determine if your setup will permit you to do manually at least one file-project reconnect as described in post 27 for 00058.mts.

Please consider.

ATR

• 30. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                                    Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi A.T. - I have NOT moved, deleted, or re-named any originals; I learned THAT lesson a long time ago.  And yes, I know where the originals are stored in folders on my C: hard drive.  And I do not store any originals on an external hard drive except for periodic backup.  I do not engage that external hard drive actively in any way when working on a project.

Will attempt the manual project reconnect as you described in post 27, but I plan to take a little time off for Christmas now.  Will be back to you soon.              Bill

• 31. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

All best wishes for Christmas, New Years and Always.

There has got to be a key to unlock all these workflow issues. And, I want to make sure we are not overlooking anything (both of us).

When you return to your thread, please indicate where we stand now

Can you manually reconnect disconnected file to the project as described?

and

If you open a new project, forget about 00058.mts et al, do you run into all the import and missing media issues all over again?

You need not reply to this post. I just wanted to let you that whenever you want to troubleshoot Premiere Elements, I am glad to do that - as your schedule permits.

Merry Christmas/Happy New Year

ATR

• 32. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                                        Bill in Burbank Level 1

GREAT NEWS, A.T.  -  Our "connection" problems are over and the thumbnail pictures ARE on the expert timeline.

This is what happened: I was about to create that little experimental manual connection experiment you suggested when I noticed you said something about that the picture I had found was "original data".  I wasn't sure, so I went looking for the folder I had on the hard drive in which all the pictures for this project would be.  It was titled "2015 Coast Trip".  I could NOT find it, the entire folder disappeared.  I "searched" for it, I went to the Recycle Bin.  It was nowhere to be found.  So, I went to one of my backup programs (I have 2), and found the 2015 Coast Trip folder there and restored it to its "original location"..

Then I went to PrEl14, loaded the project that was giving me all the trouble with NO thumbnails on the timeline, and although it still gives me strange screens when I try to load, I just ignore them and delete them and it goes to the timeline, and the pictures are all there!!!   Every one!

I went to the Organizer and highlighted  a couple of pictures to "edit" and it loaded them fine.  My connections are restored!!!!!

We'll deal with the other problems which seem minor now later.  I am luxuriating in this "triumph" right now.  The Christmas holiday time off was beneficial to me, I'd say.

Again, thank you for all your help, A.T. - -                     Bill North

• 33. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sir Bill North (I have just knighted you)

It goes beyond magnificent to describe your troubleshooting and making all those media-project reconnects.

I am thinking of all the great projects you will now get done in the new year. But, right now you deserve as you said ...luxuriating in this "triumph".

Best wishes

ATR

• 34. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                                            Bill in Burbank Level 1

Thank you, A.T.   Back at it soon . . .; .   Bill

• 35. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                                              Bill in Burbank Level 1

I'm not out of the woods yet, A.T.  I just noticed I have lost the videos to my project.  The folder they were in has disappeared and I cannot find that folder in my backup program I used to get back the pictures.  I told you I have a second backup program which is causing me some problems and I'm trying to get to its tech support for help in resolving ITS problems. I am hoping I can find the videos folder on that backup program.

I found the camera memory cards for that trip.  They are safe and sound.  Am considering re-importing the videos at least from those two cards if I am unsuccessful in getting them back any other way like my backup programs.  I am scheming to figure out the most efficient way of re-importing the videos.  If I re-import the pictures and videos, do you know if they overwrite everything already on my hard disk or is there way I can check off a box which will avoid importing any files that are already there on my hard drive and in my main folder of them.

I will check in here over the next couple of days to read any thoughts you might have on THIS dilemma.  Otherwise, I am going to be a little busy for the next few days.  And then there's New Year's . . .

Bill

P.S. My email is  -   billnorth@sbcglobal.net

• 36. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Do you see any pattern in your workflow activities that could be triggering these disappearing source media? Very troublesome.

Are these backup programs that you use "invasive". Good idea to get the backup software checked and cleared by the tech support of the software.

What program were you working in when this latest problem hit - Premiere Elements 14/14.1 or 13/13.1?

Typically if you add files to a given location

a. the addition will not go through if the file has the same name as another file in that location... and you will be asked to give a replace, ignore, cancel command.

b. but because of these mysterious files disappearances, I would make sure that the originals are triple backed up off the computer.

c. there is a feature in the Elements Organizer that is supposed to help you identify duplicates if they do manage to get in somehow

See. Elements Organizer/Find Menu/By Visual Search and the either Duplicate Photos, Objects appearing in photos, or visual similar photos and videos.

d. are you changing the file names as you go from your memory card to computer?

You made significant progress when you retreated temporarily recently and then advanced refreshed. After the beginning of the new year when things settle down, you should be able to get on the right path.

Best wishes for holidays

ATR

• 37. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                                                  Bill in Burbank Level 1

I GOT EVERYTHING BACK, A.T. !!!!   AND ALL "CONNECTED" TOO !!!!

Worked most of the day with someone from Acronis True Image 2016.  She thought my backups were "corrupted" by errors on my external hard drive where those backups were stored. She wanted to do Checkdisk on the hard drive E to cure the errors which she said her "discs" had seen several on mine.  I thought oh well, I've lost everything anyway; might as well do it.

So we did.  Took most of the afternoon.  CHeckdisk  said there were NO errors on the hard drive; everything was OK.  So I went back to my backups on it which were showing a blank screen before, and there they were!  There was the file I was looking for too which included the videos for my project !!!

Played with retrieving it to various places and finally went ahead and restored to its original location.  The titles were very abbreviated though; I was worried.  "00045.MTS' just showed as "45".  Uh-oh, was that good enough for Premier Elements?   So I loaded PE14, went to my troubled project, and EVERYTHING WAS THERE ALREADY CONNECTED !!!!   Relief, relief, relief.

So, we're back in business so to speak.   Why she thought I would lose everything with Checkdisk I don't know; I think she was a little inexperienced.  But everything is working just fine as far as I know.

As to your concern as to why those original folders disappeared, I don't know.  It concerns me too.  But I'll just backup everything again now that I think everything is working, and I'll backup on both backup programs.

Thanks again for your help.  Will contact you again after New Year's for those other problems which seem minor now.  HAPPY NEW YEAR, A.T. !!!!!

Bill

• 38. Re: I just loaded PE 14.  Cannot get my former video projects to load. What is wrong?
                                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North,

The news greater than you saving your project is that you are mastering the troubleshooting. Anyone can tell you how a program is supposed to run. The real key to success is knowing how to resolve the issues when reality does not follow expectations. So, great job. Although you can apparently control these random media-project disconnects, we need to find out why they are happening so frequently. But, time to enjoy the success and the arrival of a new year. Best wishes for Happy New Year.

ATR