2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 2:09 PM by dj_paige

Best strategy to organize pictures on Mac using Photos app and Lightroom?

Little Larey

Hi there!

I recently bought a Macbook and although the transfer from PC to Mac has been pretty smooth, the only area I really struggle with is how to setup the best workflow for importing, editing and exporting photos. I'll try to explain what it is I'm trying to achieve making use of both Lightroom and Photos (I have an iCloud storage) and possibly just a regular Pictures folder structure, and hopefully someone can help me out.

I would like to import my photos obviously . Is it best to import directly into Lightroom, into Photos app or to a Pictures folder? Then I want to edit my photos using Lightroom. When I'm done I want to export my edited photos, both in full resolution and in low resolution to upload to my website. I also would like to make a slideshow of (some of) the photos to show family and friends and save my favorite photos to iCloud as a backup (although I'm also considering buying an Airport Time Capsule - any thoughts on that are also very welcome!).

What I don't want is to have the same photos on various places on my Mac (LR catalog, Photos app and Pictures folder), and of course I'm looking for the easiest workflow. Since I'm starting with a new Mac I would like to figure out the best way to achieve this before I have photos folders everywhere and anywhere if you know what I mean.

I hope someone can help me out!! Many thanks in advance!!

• 1. Re: Best strategy to organize pictures on Mac using Photos app and Lightroom?
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi little larey,

You can directly import your images in Lightroom and copy them to your hard drive at the time of importing to organize them either into specific folders by shoot or by date format.

Once you are done editing, you can export them for the different purposes and save them on the iCloud as well.

you can create slideshow within Lightroom and export it to be viewed by your family and friends.

• 2. Re: Best strategy to organize pictures on Mac using Photos app and Lightroom?
            dj_paige Level 9

To tell you the truth, my very strong opinion is that you use one and only one "organizing" program.

Using two is twice the work, and a recipe for confusion as if you make a very human error like forgetting to update the other software after working in one software, then you have two different collections of photos.

Don't go there. Pick one software, whichever one meets your needs best, and stick with it. As Chetna said, Lightroom can do everything you have asked for.

... and save my favorite photos to iCloud as a backup

Make backups of ALL of your photos, not some. If you plan to keep the photos, make backups. Period. No exceptions. You never know when that photo, that wasn't a favorite of yours, suddenly is important to find because Uncle George's 75 birthday is coming up ...