4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2008 4:26 PM by palemorningdunn

Firefox Compatibility

palemorningdunn
      Hi-

I am new to Dreamweaver and have been working with a colleague during this past week to launch our company website.

The website displays perfectly using an Opera browser, almost perfectly using an Internet Explorer browser, and poorly using a Firefox browser where the colors in some of the page tables don't show up in Firefox but show up fine in the other two browsers).

I am NOT familiar with HTML programming, but a co-worker who used to do HTML years ago thought that the "#" sign in front of a RGB color fill designation for a table cell might have been dropped. I don't know where to find this or even if this is really the problem. Any advice?

The "almost perfect" operation of Internet explorer falls short of perfect because some pictures and some table cells are shifted mysteriously to the left by about 10 pixels. It does NOT show on the display of the page while in Dreamweaver so as I develop the page it looks perfect, but does show when I test the page using the browser. We've tried everything, including rebuilding the page from scratch. Any advice?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Firefox Compatibility
          Level 7
          > We've tried everything, including rebuilding
          > the page from scratch. Any advice?

Firefox tends to be the most standards compliant way to 'preview' your site.

So, I'd start over, but test form the get-go in Firefox first.

As for your colors, the '#' is for hex:

RGB uses this syntax:

rgb(0,0,0)

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#colorunits

-Darrel

• 2. Re: Firefox Compatibility
            Level 7
            .oO(darrel)

>> We've tried everything, including rebuilding
            >> the page from scratch. Any advice?
            >
            >Firefox tends to be the most standards compliant way to 'preview' your site.
            >
            >So, I'd start over, but test form the get-go in Firefox first.

It's a bit strange that it seems to work in Opera, but fails in FF. Of
            course it would help to know the versions of the used browsers. And it
            would help even more to get a URL ...

>As for your colors, the '#' is for hex:
            >
            >#00000

Here's the missing zero: 0
            SCNR ;)

>RGB uses this syntax:
            >
            >rgb(0,0,0)

JFTR: The # syntax is also RGB (#RRGGBB or in short #RGB). It just uses
            hexadecimal values, whereas the rgb() function accepts decimal values or
            percentages.

Micha
            • 3. Re: Firefox Compatibility
              Level 7
              > JFTR: The # syntax is also RGB (#RRGGBB or in short #RGB). It just uses
              > hexadecimal values

Yea, you are right hex *is* RGB.

-Darrel

• 4. Re: Firefox Compatibility
                palemorningdunn Level 1
                Darrel, Michael-
                The "#" sign was it. Turns out that internet explorer could deal with missing # signs, but FF couldn't. Once I fixed this, everything was perfect.
                Thanks so much and sorry for the long delay in response.
                PMD