5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 9:18 AM by rtalton

Multiple VideoDisplay issues

Sebastien V. Level 3
      Hi everybody.

I use in my application multiples VideoDisplay components to play flv sound files from urls. The application interface is quite rich so there is an average 8 to 12 instances of VideoDisplay instantiated at the same time in the whole application.
      Everything seems to go well in the beginning (the flvs are correctly loaded, and play just fine when I ask them to). But after a short time and some operations, it becomes impossible to hear any sound coming out of those components.
      More precisely : I use 4 differents VideoDisplay object to play four different sounds from four different urls. Those sounds are properties of an object, so when the container object is reloaded, the VideoDisplay objects are re-instantiated with the corrects urls. But very often, and when the url does not change, the call to play() on the newly created VideoDisplay objects has no effect (no sounds heard).
      Sometimes when the reload is done only some of the newly created VideoDisplay do play sounds while others do not...
      And when sounds begins not to play any more, the only solution to get them to play again that I found is to reload the application in the browser, and then with the exact same urls the sounds are playing fine...

At first I thought this was a flv file loading problem but I checked with the VideoDisplay.bytesLoaded attribute and when the call to the play() method is done the attribute shows always the exact byte amount of the file supposed to play.

So I began to watch every state change of the component and found no differences between a playing VideoDisplay and not playing one during its instantiation or even before and just after the play() method is beeing called. Only difference : the playheadTime never increases when it does not play, while it does when the sound is actually playing, which seems quite logic. But still, no errors shown and no state differences between the two behaviours...

So here is my question : did any of you already have a similar problem with the VideoDisplay component (I have seen that many people have been having issues with it, but never the same as mine) ? And of course if you did, how did you manage to get rid of it?

Any suggestions are welcomed...

PS : I am using Flex Builder 3, and was able to reproduce the problem on flex player 9 and 10, and with Flex SDK 3.0.0 and 3.2.0...