3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 3:16 AM by Dragos GEORGITA

Debugging SWF from WebKit

markdemich Level 1
      I have a SWF that normally runs from a website. However, now I need to deploy it on a stand alone CD without internet so I'm essentially building an air app that would host my SWF. Since my swf uses ExternalInterface extensively, I decided it would be best to have my air app use webkit to embed the SWF in an html file. This way, I can use javascript the html to talk to my SWF and my air app, creating a kind of bridge.

In principal this seems to be working fine. However, I can't figure out a way to debug my SWF when it's being host this way in my air app. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it running in the debugger? Having a debugger available really saves time when you encounter stuff that's not working.

Thanks,
      Mark
        • 1. Re: Debugging SWF from WebKit
          Dragos GEORGITA Adobe Employee
          Hi Mark,
          When using AIR 1.5 and starting with a HTML AIR app (the root is a html file) it tries to start the debugger for the html/js part.
          In order to debug the swf that's embedded in html you need to:
          1) use the debug version of the swf
          2) have the IDE started in debug mode. You're using Authoring tool, right?
          2) start the application with adl with -nodebug to prevent starting of the debugger for the AIR HTML app. Instead, the debug swf will be the one that will connect to debugger.

Hope this helps,
          Dragos Georgita
          • 2. Re: Debugging SWF from WebKit
            markdemich Level 1
            I just want to elaborate a bit. My AIR app is not necessarily HTML based. I have one MXML form that has an HTML control on it. In that HTML control, I load an HTML file that has an object tag that references a separate SWF.

I could swear I tried what you said, and when I right clicked on the HTML page in the Air app, I didn't get the usual "Debugger" menu item in the popup menu that I would normally see in a regular browser.

I'll try again and let you know.
            • 3. Re: Debugging SWF from WebKit
              Dragos GEORGITA Adobe Employee
              Hi Mark,
              Yes, I think you need to replace the regular player plugin dll with the debug version.
              It's located inside the sdk folder as "runtimes\air\win\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Resources\NPSWF32.dll"

Let me know if this works.
              Regards,
              Dragos