2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2009 8:34 AM by JeffryHouser

Validation Functionality

garretschweitzer
      All,

I'm looking for a set of controls that provides real-time validation and unobtrusive notification for users. Check out this link for the type of control I want -- http://extjs.com/deploy/dev/examples/statusbar/statusbar-advanced.html

Notice how the text fields respond to invalid data and the status bar at the bottom offers additional information. If I want to create a Flex UI that has the same kind of functionality (and maybe prettier), are there stock controls (or controls for purchase) that do this for me? Do I have to roll-my-own? I'm really interested in a RAD environment so I don't have to code the HTML and whatnot.

TIA,
      Garret
        • 1. Re: Validation Functionality
          rtalton Level 4
          Flex can do all of this. You will have to write code.
          The Flex Text Input component supports built-in data validators and formatters, complete with error messages, tool tip pop-ups and the red border color when vaildation fails. It's real easy to do.

Never bothered with using the browser's staus bar. Flex can talk to its HTML wrapper and call javascript functions via External Interface, though. But I'd just use a label component underneath the form, for example, to display any other messages.
          • 2. Re: Validation Functionality
            JeffryHouser Level 4

Additionally, you could create your own status bar as art of the Flex app, or any container. Just use a text field; potentially styled.and change the value of it when validation fails.