6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 9:47 AM by Andreas Folkers

DVD cannot install on Mac formatted Harddisk [using a case sensitive file system]

Andreas Folkers

This morning I got my DVD with Lightroom 6 Win/Mac. I inserted it into my superdrive. But: Installation on my MacBookPro was refused, reason: my harddisk format supports use of small and capital letters - which is the usual way for MacOs and needed for backups with TimeMachine. What is the use of a Mac-DVD that cannot be installed on a Mac??? Something must be wrong here. Would be very thankful for help.

• 2. Re: DVD cannot install on Mac formatted Harddisk
          Andreas Folkers Level 1

Well, the sense of buying a DVD was to become able to install from a DVD - not everywhere and at any time internet connection is available in a satisfying degree. And: Maybe I would have been able to spend less money if I had chosen to look just for a license key. A friend who also bought a DVD but did not get it yet is still very unexperienced with her computer, and I am pretty sure if she runs into the same problem that will not be encouraging for. Anyway - an installation DVD should do what it is meant for !?

• 3. Re: DVD cannot install on Mac formatted Harddisk
            BKKDon Level 4

Andreas Folkers wrote:

This morning I got my DVD with Lightroom 6 Win/Mac. I inserted it into my superdrive. But: Installation on my MacBookPro was refused, reason: my harddisk format supports use of small and capital letters - which is the usual way for MacOs and needed for backups with TimeMachine. What is the use of a Mac-DVD that cannot be installed on a Mac??? Something must be wrong here. Would be very thankful for help.

"Standard" OS X file system is not case-sensitive. Although you can use upper and lower case in a filename as far as the system is concerned "FileName" and "filename" are the same. So if you try to copy files with the same name regardless of case then the copy will result in a dialog asking if you want to replace a file of the same name.

I'm assuming in your case your drives have been formatted with the case-sensitive filesystem, and you should generally refrain from using a case-sensitive filesystem with OS X.

• 4. Re: DVD cannot install on Mac formatted Harddisk
              Andreas Folkers Level 1

Ok - then this sounds like the end of the story. And probably will also be end for my "use" of the program - at the moment I cannot imagine to re-format my whole Mac only because of this. Thanks for the information. The download-version did not work either, as I had already expected, got the same error. I checked the system requirements on download-site as well as on DVD whether I have overlooked that kind of information anywhere and thus could have avoided the trap but have not found such hints yet. Which makes me quite angry, I must admit. Never had such a problem before. Will see whether/how I get back my money...

• 5. Re: DVD cannot install on Mac formatted Harddisk
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I checked the system requirements on download-site as well as on DVD whether I have overlooked that kind of information anywhere and thus could have avoided the trap but have not found such hints yet.

The system requirements state that Lightroom cannot be installed on Macs which use a case sensitive file system. This applies to most Adobe software and some Mac software from other vendors.

System requirements for Photoshop Lightroom for Mac and Windows OS

• 2 GB of available hard-disk space (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)

There's lots of info online about converting between case insensitive and case sensitive.

• 6. Re: DVD cannot install on Mac formatted Harddisk
                  Andreas Folkers Level 1

Well, the information was not on the German site of the seller (amazon) and not on the DVD-cover either, and I worked with Photoshop a time ago (until CS3) and never encountered this kind of problem, therefore I simply did not get the idea that I should better look for still more information. But ok, I learnt my lesson. Your remark regarding converting options gives me a little bit hope again to find another solution than simply to give up ;-) !