3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 9:20 AM by A.T. Romano

why does my clip appear fuzzy & pixelated after i put an effect on the clip?

frankiee vivian

i am using premiere pro elements 12 on pc & when i import a clip to edit it looks fine but after i add an effect like smart fix or adjust brightness etc, it comes out pixelated so i want to ask how do i fix this?

• 1. Re: why does my clip appear fuzzy & pixelated after i put an effect on the clip?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

frankiee vivian

What computer operating system?

If you do not like an effect, have you tried to effect the effect? And, if that did not work, do you know how to remove the effect?

In the case of Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Smart Fix, just hit the reset button. If you had added Image Control effect, the remove that panel from Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette.

As for the why, the pixelated outcome, then we need to get into project details...

a. What are the properties of the Timeline content?

b. What is the project preset that was set to match the properties of the source media?

c. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

d. if you open a new project with different files, do you have the same problem?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: why does my clip appear fuzzy & pixelated after i put an effect on the clip?
            whsprague Level 4

frankiee vivian wrote:

when i import a clip to edit it looks fine but after i add an effect like smart fix or adjust brightness etc, it comes out pixelated so i want to ask how do i fix this?

If you are used to still photo editing it is easy to expect a lot.  With programs like Photoshop, Lightroom and others, there can be up to 30 or more megabytes of data to work with per frame.  Strong adjustments can be made.  With video there are recording constraints that don't allow nearly as much flexibility with adjustments or "effects" like brightness and contrast.

Bill

• 3. Re: why does my clip appear fuzzy & pixelated after i put an effect on the clip?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

frankiee vivian

I could not get back into my post 1 to edit it, so I will make the typing correction note here.

In post 1, I wrote

If you do not like an effect, have you tried to effect the effect? And, if that did not work, do you know how to remove the effect?

That should have been

If you do not like an effect, have you tried to edit the effect......

Also, I forgot to mention, "Are you looking at the "video clip with effect" rendered or unrendered? That is, are you previewing the "video clip with effect" with an orange line over its Timeline content? The following demonstrates the orange line to which I refer. Screenshot is from 12/12.1, but same principle for Premiere Elements 11 through 14.

Render.JPG

Generalizing, you should not be expecting pixelation by applying effects in Premiere Elements. We will seek to sort out the details to find a solution for you.

frankiee vivian, if any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR