3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 9:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 14 - Is there a way to adjust the speed of text animation fade in/out?

patrickd90521939

When I use the fade in by line or fade in by character animation for text, the final character of the text does not arrive on screen until a few frames before the end of the text clip.  If I make the clip longer, then the animation just takes longer, still finishing right before the end of the text clip.  I am hoping for a way to adjust the length of the animation so there is a buffer at the end that would allow a viewer to see the entire text for 15-30 frames before the text disappears.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Elements 14 - Is there a way to adjust the speed of text animation fade in/out?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

patrickd

What computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 14?

Are you centering text when you are creating the text title in the Titler.

One idea for allowing more time for viewing the entire text...at the end, insert a freeze frame of the entire text (give it the duration needed).

More details available if needed.

Please consider, and then we will think about this some more.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements 14 - Is there a way to adjust the speed of text animation fade in/out?
            patrickd90521939 Level 1

Hello ATR -

I am using Windows 10.  I'm not sure if I am centering the text title - do you mean physically making sure it is in the center of the text box?  I am doing that, does it have an impact?

The freeze frame would definitely work.  If that is the only way, then thank you for a solution!  But I feel like, intuitively, there would be some kind of option to set the length of the animation.  For instance, say the fade in should be 3 seconds even though the clip itself is 6.  Does that make sense?

• 3. Re: Elements 14 - Is there a way to adjust the speed of text animation fade in/out?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

patrickd

Thanks for the reply.

The following is my take on the situation. The Text Animations are presets that do not present with adjustable Opacity keyframes.

If you are want the viewer to see the entire text for 15 to 30 frames, that is 0.5 to 1 second (in a 30 frames per second setup). You should have at least that amount of time.

Consider my following observations and test them to verify...

If I have a 5 second text title with text "one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, and eight" or just "one, two, three" and apply the FadeInByCharacters, the first letter "o" of one will always be visible at about 16 frames (0.5 second) mark from the start and the last letter of the last word will be visible at about 3 seconds and 15 frames (3.5 seconds) mark. That leaves about 1.5 seconds for viewing the entire text which is more than you are asking for.

If I have a 10 second text title with "one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, and eight" or just "one, two, three" and apply the FadeInByCharacters, the first letter "o" of one will always be visible at about 1.1 second mark from the start and the last letter of the last word will be visible at about 7 seconds. That leaves about 3 seconds for viewing the entire text which is more than you are asking for.

If I repeat this test for 20 seconds text titles, then the first letter is visible at about 2 seconds mark from the start and the last letter of the last word will be visible at about 14 seconds. That leaves about 6 seconds for viewing the entire text which is more than you are asking for.

Centering the text appears to be a non factor. The only way you get into trouble if the end word runs off the screen which I do not believe is the case here. What is the duration of your text titles?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Is a Typewriter Effect for your text titles of any interest. If so, please refer to

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Typewriter Animation Effect For Titler Text