2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 8:11 PM by the boston artist

Is Fireworks still a current product that is still supported, developed and updated?

Jeff@8020

Is Fireworks still a current product that is still supported, developed and updated?

Believe it or not but I've been using a 2003 Fireworks/Dreamweaver suite.  Each new version of windows, I've lost functionality.  Its time to either get a newer version of Fireworks or jump ship to a new software solution. I'm asking if its current because when I launch the trial version of Fireworks that I downloaded recently, the copyright ends at 2012 on the window that pops up when I launch it.  Does this indicate that Fireworks is not current, not supported, not developed and not updated?  I don't mind paying once the trial version expires but I don't want to invest in something that's going away.  Can anyone address this and bring me up to speed?

• 1. Re: Is Fireworks still a current product that is still supported, developed and updated?
          Herbert2001 Level 4

Fireworks is dead software. It was officially discontinued in May 2013, and no support or bug fixes are forthcoming.

Alternatives for Windows are:

• Xara Designer Pro (which includes Web Designer)
          • Photoshop & Illustrator (with round-tripping), Muse
          • Photoline & Inkscape (with round-tripping option)
          • CorelDraw Suite

On Mac better alternatives exist, such as Sketch. It depends on the work you do now in Fireworks.

• 2. Re: Is Fireworks still a current product that is still supported, developed and updated?
            the boston artist Level 1

Hey Jeff, the short answer to your question is NO!  As the previous responder stated it is DEAD.  You can still download it and still use it but no more updates or new features.  Why.  Haha, don't ask.  Adobe is being Adobe and essentially saying, "sure, we know tens of thousands of users have been addicted to this program for years and years... but hey, too bad... it's great being the big dog on the block."  "Don't like it, well, we really don't care - it doesn't fit in our 'current' business strategy... use another product - (wink, wink)"

Also, there really is nothing that will "replace" Fireworks or is anything like it.  Sketch, which I use a lot, isn't really even in the same ballpark.  Best you can do is what Adobe wants you to do and subscribe to the entire CC collection and use multiple tools.

Good luck and have a good day.