18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2016 9:05 PM by A.T. Romano

Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?

pre8dr Level 1

I have created two BD videos using PE12 with moving menu backgrounds on the main page. The video is 10 seconds and loops until a choice is made. Each time it loops there is a 2 second black screen prior to the loop. I have read many blogs about this issue in Encore with no solution. Has one been devised yet? How about  for PE?

• 1. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

pre8dr

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on what computer operating system?

What specific movie menu theme are you using?

What are the properties of the video that you are using for replacement background?

But, let us start with, do you have a check mark next to "Apply Default Transition Before Loop"? If so, please remove it and note the results.

Please consider and supply details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
            pre8dr Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for the quick response. To make sure that I could answer all the questions, I re-ran the process on the first disk. I did find that the box "Apply Default Transition Before Loop" was checked from the last disk that I tried. I unchecked it and went ahead with the burn process. Incidentally, I use PrE12.1 for the whole encode and burn process. I do not see an option for burning to a folder and then using a burner program to create the disk. I can burn an AVCHD file but I think that you loose the menu and markers when you do. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I am running Win 7 Pro.

2. The theme that I chose is Pan and Zoom. It is HD.

3. The replacement video is a 10 second clip that I created in PrE12.1 by layering three files: a .psd background, a png middle layer, and a .psd upper layer with cutouts. The finished clip, fore, and back are 1920x1080 files. The png is 271x186. The ideas is that the png is an airplane flying behind the cutouts of the foreground. The video clip was outputted as AVCHD file with h.264 compression.

4. The feature video is also 1920x1080 30i, created with h.264 compression, burned with a Pioneer burner. The video looks great on the tv. The menu looks almost as good, except for the black screen splash when the menu clip loops. I am playing it on a Samsung BD player.

5. The disk burned tonight has the same problem as the previous ones. I did just put it back in my PC and played it with CyberLink PowerDVD9. The overall quality is not as good as on the tv. I don't see the black splash but the "play movie" grays out for 2 seconds at the end of the loop.

It seems like a complicated problem but hopefully with a simple solution.

Thanks for your help.

DR

• 3. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

pre8dr

Thanks for the reply.

Please remind me - are you seeing any of these looping problems in the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 movie menu customization area preview?

This is what I would like you to explore.

Export 10 seconds of your feature movie to a file using Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Then insert that 10 seconds clip into the Pan and Zoom theme as your background instead of your specially created clip. Do you get the same looping issue as before?

To selectively export that 10 second clip....place the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the segment to be exported and in the export area have a check mark next to Share Work Area Bar Only.

Add On.....In Premiere Elements 12/12.1 there should be a burn to folder option for Publish+Share/Disc/DVD

12dvdburnto.jpg

There is also a burn to folder option for Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD.

There is no burn to folder option for Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray.

All the burn to options (Publish+Share/Disc/ will give you a product with menus if you have included menus in the project.

It is the Publish+Share/Computer/ route that gives you files without menus.

ATR

• 4. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may also simply be seeing your disc player head moving. Now DVD or BluRay player jumps from track to track without some sort of pause.

• 5. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                  Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Steve has said, I expect this is normal behavior for some players.  When I make menus for DVDs and play on different players, there is a big difference in the delay time when choosing menu items between players.

• 6. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Peru Bob

Just where do you see this delay time....only in the looping of the a video replacement for the main menu background or elsewhere?

What specific version of Premiere Elements produced the disc products with menus that presented in your players with delays anywhere in the playback? What is your player - DVD/CD player, Blu-ray player, or other - standalone or computer?

I have not seen what you are describing so I am interested in the details of what you are seeing.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                      Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I edited videos in Premiere Elements 3.0.2 , Premiere Pro CS4 and Premiere Pro CS5.5.

I used Premiere Elements and DVD Architect Studio for authoring from Premiere Elements and DVDAS for authoring from CS4 and CS5.5.

I have seen the delay in looping and selecting menu items in all of the software I've used, as well as between playlists in DVDAS.

I played the videos in several different stand alone DVD players, with varying results.

• 8. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

pre8dr

Recent posts in your thread have suggested player characteristics as being the key factor in your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 menu looping issue.

And, I have asked for more information from those posting that since I have never seen that type of problem.

Please do not be distracted from the troubleshooting in progress by the questions/answers between me and the others.

I will be watching for your results from the mini tests that I suggested in post 3

Export 10 seconds of your feature movie to a file using Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Then insert that 10 seconds clip into the Pan and Zoom theme as your background instead of your specially created clip. Do you get the same looping issue as before?

and our follow up to rule those factors in or out before we implicate a player or players in all this. In our troubleshooting, please remain with no check mark next to "Apply Default Transition Before Loop" in the main menu Video background replacement area/movie menu customization. If you have results from player to player to player variations in all this, please include.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...I would point to the fact that you are doing your disc authoring exclusively in Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and not farming out menus and encoding to other software.

• 9. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                          pre8dr Level 1

ATR

I have followed your suggestion of exporting a 10 second clip from the feature video as an AVCHD and using that as the menu clip. It resulted in the same 2 second black screen at the end of the loop on my Samsung player. I tried the disk in my PC player and have no black screen but the menu buttons do gray out for two seconds at the end of the loop. I then tried it in my laptop player with the same results as the PC. It appears that the problem is not with the clip. As Steve and PeruBob have suggested perhaps it's a player problem. It is interesting that both PC players react the same with the play movie and scene buttons grayed out for two seconds. BTW, the pc uses PowerDVD 9 to play BD and my laptop uses Roxio CinePlayer BD to play the disk.

To the other question, the disk preview in PrE12 works fine, albeit jerky and poor quality. No black or gray outs are visible.

Thanks, again.

• 10. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

pre8dr

Thanks for the update with additional troubleshooting information.

I am reluctant to buy into the player target yet. I will not be at my home computer until tomorrow afternoon. Then I will look into what you are describing for results from PC player and those grayed out Play Movie and Scene Buttons grayed out for two seconds. I will use Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit since that is what you are using. I will think about the players.

Do your results differ if you use a video background replacement with duration greater than 10 seconds (30 seconds)?

Thanks again for the follow up. Appreciated.

ATR

• 11. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                              pre8dr Level 1

ATR

I created a 15 second clip of similar content to the 10 second one and burned the disk with the same results. I then exported a 30 second one from a random spot in the feature video, used it for the menu replacement, and again have the same result. I am thinking of two more test possibilities. One, take the disk into the big box store where I purchased the player and ask someone to play it on a display model. (The player is four years old.) That may give cross-brand testing. Second, use a different menu template. Since zoom and pan is the only HD one installed in PrE12, I either need to access the ones from my old PrE10 or build a new one from scratch. I have CS5 so that would be possible although time consuming.

Thanks,

DR

• 12. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

pre8dr

Thanks for the update. Your troubleshooting plans sound excellent.

I did not understand the part about Premiere Element 12 and Pan and Zoom theme and having to use different menu template from Premiere Elements 10. By different did you mean the Premiere Elements 10 program file for the Pan and Zoom theme? What about a different theme within 12 using the content download from within the project's Tools Menu/Movie Menus/?

I have got to get to work on this. I was traveling, back from travel, and catching up on this and some other Premiere Elements workflow matters.

More later. Looking forward to all your results as your schedule permits.

ATR

• 13. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

pre8dr

Some follow up to my prior post numbered 12...

I got a chance to work with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and video background replacement looping for a DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD with the Pan and Zoom theme (no video transition at looping).

On computer...no problems using VLC player (latest version), Windows Media Player v 12, and CyberLink Power DVD 9.

At all times during the playing of the menu with looping, the Play Movie and Scene buttons could be highlighted for selection when I brought the mouse cursor to them. That is all be ask of them. There was no 2 second gray out of Play Movie and Scene buttons at loop.

I had access to an older TV with VCR DVD recorder attached. The player had to be at least 10 years old. Playback of that same DVD with the TV DVD player was essentially the same as for computer with regard to the availability of the Play Movie and Scene buttons. At the point of looping there was a slight suggestion of a pause but,if a real pause, it was so quick it was not clear if it was real or not.

My other TV with player (newer) is disconnected at this time so I did not get a opportunity to do more than one TV DVD player test.

ATR

• 14. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                                    pre8dr Level 1

ATR

I thought it was time for another update. My visit to two big box stores with the disk was inconclusive. At the first one I ended up at the service center. A very helpful employee listened to my story then took the BD to the back. A few minutes later he returned and said he believes the problem is on the disk. In both his BD player and his PC the menu played then went to black screen and stayed there. It's never stayed there on any of my devices. At the second store another helpful employee listened to the story and said that he couldn't test it because all the tvs on display were running programs from flash drives and there were no BD players out. He was experienced having worked as a tech in tv studios and suggested that the player did not hold the last frame while looping. They called that syncing in the industry. (I'm paraphrasing) He suggested that I update the software on the player to see if that solved it. I did that last night, tested the same disk and got the same result as the beginning.

I am moving on to the other test option of creating my own template. Before that I am experimenting with other Adobe provided ones.

I am curious about a comment that you made earlier on this thread about

"There is also a burn to folder option for Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD."

"There is no burn to folder option for Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray."

Sorry about the quote, I kind of new to this. Anyway, the choices for burn to folder are only two- up to 8.5GB. What happens with a 12GB movie?

Thanks again,

DR

• 15. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

pre8dr

Thanks for the update. Very interesting.

It is late where I am, so more on this later. I am not seeing the major gain in creating your own menus for this situation. As is, it presents as a programming rather creating .psd files matter. Next time, if interested, I can talk about how to create your own menu with a built in video background in Photoshop CS or higher rather than at the movie menu customization area of the project. (We might even be able to get this done with Photoshop Elements.)

It was not until Premiere Elements 13/13.1 that Publish+Share DVD or AVCHD choice included disc, ISO Image (4.7 GB), ISO Image (8.5 GB), Folder (4.7 GB), or Folder (8.5 GB). In 13/13.1, Blu-ray choice included ISO Image (25 GB) or ISO Image (50 GB) besides the burn to Blu-ray disc. No burn to folder. But, in 13/13.1, the burn to Blu-ray ISO Image was seriously flawed by .file size of the iso file generated.

In 14/14.1, all the burn to folder options are gone. DVD or AVCHD is just DVD disc or ISO Image (4.7 GB) or (8.5 GB). Blu-ray is disc or ISO Image (25 GB) or (50 GB). The Blu-ray ISO Image feature appears to be usable.

Reflecting, rather than creating your own menus, you might consider looking other authoring programs for menu creation with video replacement backgrounds for the main menu in order to determine if what you are observing is Adobe or general industry related. I am not seeing the menu looping issues. See my prior posts for details.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for exploring the details.

ATR

• 16. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

pre8dr

Please consider the following to put definition to the video background replacement looping that we have been discussing.

Do It Your Self Movie Menu Theme With Built In Video Background Replacement

Critical steps are in bold text

1. Local Disk C/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Premiere Elements 12/DVD Templates/Common/Slideshow/Pan and Zoom

2. Open the Pan and Zoom Folder and copy the following two files to the computer desktop

pan and zoom_pal_w_mm.psd

and

pan and zoom_pal_w_sm.psd

and change the names to

video pan and zoom_pal_w_mm.psd

and

video pan and zoom_pal_w_sm.psd

3. Place those two files in a desktop folder named video pan and zoom. In that folder also have your video file which will be the video background for your movie menu theme's main menu. Rename that video file to read video pan and zoom_pal_w_bg.avi or .mpg or .wmv. (I road tested this with a .wmv file.)

4. Get a freeze frame of the first frame of the video replacement file. I used a bmp file.

5. Open video pan and zoom_pal_w_mm.psd in Photoshop Elements 12/12.1. Since opening Layer Sets in the Layers Palette of the .psd file is not involved, you should not need Photoshop for this.

a. Replace the background layer in the Layers Palette with the bmp freeze frame.

b. Save the file

6. Place the video pan and zoom Folder in the Slideshow Folder in the path

Local Disk C/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Premiere Elements 12/DVD Templates/Common/Slideshow/

7. Open Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and compare the movie menu main menu background looping to what you have been getting doing the customization from within the project.

As your schedule permits, we will be watching for your progress. All went well with my road tests of the above.

ATR

• 17. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                                          pre8dr Level 1

Thanks to the three posters above I have the solution. I have marked ATR's 16. as correct because it was the most helpful.

This is the process that I used:

1. Created my own custom menu by copying the Pan and Zoom folder as ATR discussed above.

2. Added a freeze frame as the background layer and placed the 10 second video clip in the folder as instructed.

This made the video loop smoother but did not eliminate the black screen pause.

3. Loaned the disc to a friend to try on his player. He had the same result. I asked about the brand and he has a Samsung, same as mine.

4. Loaned it to coworker for testing. She played it while I was on the phone with her and it played perfectly. She has a Sony player.

5. I went to my local big box and purchased a Sony player. It works perfectly. Problem solved.

I have tried both 1440x1080 and 1920x1080 menus and see little difference in the quality on the tv. Both leave me with a small black bar on the top and bottom of the screen. It is only noticeable because when the feature video start it goes away.

I believe that the next step is to upgrade to PrE14 to get the ability to create an iso image to speed up making multiple copies.

Thanks again for all the help.

DR

• 18. Re: Has anything been done to correct the 2 second pause on blu-ray menu loop?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

pre8dr

Thanks for the update and for all the great follow through that you put into the issue. Your success sounded so very good.

Please let me know if you want to work on the small black border at the top and bottom of the screen. By screen, do you mean TV screen or the movie menu customization area Preview window within the opened project?

If you decide to move to Premiere Elements 14/14.1, consider evaluating the free 30 day tryout before purchase to determine its compatibility with your computer environment and project goals. The major change that you will note is the marked change in the export layout - your 12/12.1's Publish+Share versus 14/14.1's Export & Share. If you work with DV and HDV capture firewire, we aware that this feature was discontinued in 13/13.1 and 14/14.1. The last version to have this feature is 12/12.1. But, 14/14.1 has a reliable burn to ISO Image for AVCHD ISO Image and Blu-ray ISO Image which was not the case in 13/13.1.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR