8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 3:02 PM by A.T. Romano

what does media offline mean and how do I recover the missing video?

tammyl48743080

I have a video I've been working on for awhile. When I played it back (on the same computer) one section of video says Media Offline. As I haven't moved the file to a different computer and this isn't an export, I'm not sure what happened. Assuming it's a broken "link", how do I recover it?

• 1. Re: what does media offline mean and how do I recover the missing video?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tammyl

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

Are you saying that you open a project that you have been working on and you get "Where is the file _____?" messages or something else?

Another possibility, have you created an Instant Movie using the Outdoor Adventure theme? If so, that Instant Movie is flawed by flashes of Media Office footage. I can tell you how to fix that if that is the problem.

How many actual files are presenting with the Media Offline colorful displays?

If you did not move the projects files from their hard drive save locations, did you accidentally delete or rename them? Do you store your source files on an external hard drive? If so, is the drive letter of the external hard drive changing and otherwise malfunctioning?

If this is a case of media-project disconnect recovery, then you use the "Where is the file _____?" messages and knowing where the missing files are.

But, lots of questions and answers needed to put this all together to make sure the we are on the correct troubleshooting path.

Please consider, and supply more details. Any questions, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: what does media offline mean and how do I recover the missing video?
            tammyl48743080 Level 1

ATR,

I am using Elements 14 in a Windows 10 OS. When I run the video, one particular section in the middle of the video, instead of playing that particular clip, says "Media Offline" in 10 different languages the entire length of that section (something like 14 seconds). And then it continues on with the rest of the video like normal.

I don't know if I'm working in Instant Movie. I'm putting in different clips into "Quick" if that is what you mean. Just the one file (clip) is missing. There are roughly 10 clips altogether in the whole video. The file has stayed on my computer and not moved to anything. Something must have happened to it, though, because the music was not cut off at the right place. I did export an MP4 version to send to someone. Would that be it? I'm not playing the MP4 version, I just saved it as a different file type to send.

I'm not sure "Where is the file" button is.

Tammy

• 3. Re: what does media offline mean and how do I recover the missing video?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

tammyl

There is an Instant Movie feature in the program found under the Create Header in the Expert and Quick workspace. Do you have any recollection of using it?

Missing media applies to missing clips and not portions of a particular clip or clips. How many clips are affected?

When you close and re-open that project, you should be seeing "Where is the file _____?" messages which you have to respond to one at a time before you are let into the project. Is that happening? There is no "Where is the file" button". These messages are pop ups when you try to open a project in which the project's source files have been disconnected from the project.

Exporting the Timeline of the project should not result in missing media for the project. The project should remain intact for another export if that is what you want to do.

If you can get into the project and you know where the missing files are, try to import them again into the project to replace the files with the Media Office displays. But, you should be getting those messages that I mentioned and be using them for the recovery.

I will revisit your thread in the morning morning to continue.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: what does media offline mean and how do I recover the missing video?
                tammyl48743080 Level 1

ATR,

I don't believe I used the Instant Movie drop down - I only just discovered it today. Come to think of it, I was in this particular program file and it froze on me. Maybe something happened then?

Just the one clip is affected.

I did not see a "Where is the file" pop up when I opened the file. To be fair, after it froze as I mentioned above, I opened it up again fairly peeved, so there might have been a message then. At any rate, there is no message now.

I don't have the actual clip used, only the original. I had cut and edited it down within the program. I can add the original in, but it will be longer than the slot/soundtrack is right now, does that make sense?

• 5. Re: what does media offline mean and how do I recover the missing video?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

tammy

I have a plan....no guarantees but it might work.

1. Open this Premiere Elements 14 project. You should be greeted by a "Where is the file_____?" message. If so, then click on the button in the message that gives you the option of "Skip All". That will allow you back into the project, but the project will be missing your file and have the Media Offline display for it. Also, if you do not get the "Where is the file______?" and you are in the opened project with that file missing, then....either way....

2. In the opened project, find the thumbnail for the file in Expert workspace Project Assets. It should also have a Media Offline look. Right click the thumbnail in Project Assets, and select Replace Footage. Then browse to and select the original file. Click Open.

3. Do you now have your clip with its original edits back on the Timeline?

Please consider and then we will decide what next as indicated.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: what does media offline mean and how do I recover the missing video?
                    tammyl48743080 Level 1

ATR,

Your number 2 suggestion worked!! Thank you!

FYI - no message popped up about "Where is file." Do you know why?

Thank you much for your help!

Tammy

• 7. Re: what does media offline mean and how do I recover the missing video?
                      tammyl48743080 Level 1

Also, for anyone else who has this issue - I was worried that I would have to edit the clip over again and what a hassle it would be, since it was smack dab in the middle of the video, plus a soundtrack was laid down already. I had edited the (pared down and sped up the whole clip) and was worried I would throw the whole video off if I had to edit it again. Fortunately, when I clicked to replace footage from the original footage I had, it put it back in place exactly like it had been before, pared down and sped up to fit the soundtrack.

• 8. Re: what does media offline mean and how do I recover the missing video?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

tammyl

Wonderful news. Thanks for the follow up to let us know the successful outcome. Great job.

Glad the Replace Footage worked for you. It has the perk of replacement but retaining your edits in the file being replaced. Under the circumstances, I am not sure why the "Where is the file _____?" message was not triggered when you opened the closed project. I will keep watch for reports on that type of behavior to determine if I can find a why.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR