19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 6:20 PM by A.T. Romano

problems installing Premiere elements 14

jimv60815638

error message stating I don't have rights to install.  Adobe told me check the unlock box in the folder properties, no such box seen.  Win 7, 64bit, 8GB RAM. 500GB of disk space available,  recent defrag.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try installing it with Adminstrator rights.

• 2. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
            jimv60815638 Level 1

I'm sorry I didn't include that but I was logged in as administrator

• 3. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jimv

Even if Control Panel/User Accounts indicates that you are working from a User Account with Administrative Privileges, please do the following

Right click the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 14, and, from the menu, select Properties.

Go to the Compatibility Tab in Properties and place a check mark next to "Run this program as an administrator" in the Privilege Level section. OK out of there. Restart the computer.

Capture.JPG

Now try installing Premiere Elements 14 with antivirus and firewalls disabled?

Does that have any effect on the situation?

ATR

• 4. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                jimv60815638 Level 1

I don't have the icon on the desktop, I have the folder that was downloaded.  When I try to run the setup file I'm told "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them."

Adobe Support told me to right click on the file, go to advanced properties and check the unlock box and proceed from there.  I've tried that but I have to unlock box in the advanced properties of the folder or the setup file.

• 5. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jimv

It might be a good idea to re-contact Adobe Support and ask for a definition on what it is suggesting that you do.

Have you right click the setup.exe, selected Properties from the menu to get to Set-up Properties?

If so, if you click on the Properties Security Tab, what is shown for Allow or Deny for

Full Control

Modify

Read & Write

Read

Write

Special Permissions

Do you have a check mark for Allow for at least the first 5?

And, if you click on the Security Tab's Advanced Button, what is the permissions for System and Administrators?

ATR

• 6. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                    jimv60815638 Level 1

A.T.

In the setup.exe file Setup Properties Security tab I have

Full Control - Allow

Modify- Allow

Read & Write- Allow

Read- Allow

Write- Allow

Special Permission - nothing

Permissions for System and Administrator are Full Control

I have a session open with Adobe support but they've not replied yet so I thought I'd try the forums.

Thank you for assistance, I really appreciate it.

Jim

• 7. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jimv

Thanks for exploring the permission suggestion.

While you are waiting for a call back from Adobe Chat, you might want to look at the following

Determine if you can install Premiere Elements 14 from the following link

Other downloads

Insert your purchased serial number into the 14 installation files when requested to do that.

If the call back is expected today, then follow through with Adobe Chat first.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 8. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                        jimv60815638 Level 1

A.T.

I tried your recommendations but still nothing and I've not heard from Adobe Support. I think I'm going to ask for a credit on my purchase, this is ridiculous that I should have this much trouble installing software.

Jim

• 9. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not better. Where are you now in the troubleshooting - still being greeted with permission requirements or have any other problems also set in? System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

For a return/refund is a consideration, use the following if the purchase was from Adobe and you are within 14 days of purchase.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/return-cancel-or-change-order.html

To date, have we looked at the antivirus and firewalls that could be causing problems? Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled? What about the user account with administrative privileges? Have you created another user account with administrative privileges and tried to install Premiere Elements there?

Please update us on your progress as your time permits. I am hoping that Adobe Support will follow through. Maybe contact them again to remind the reps there that you are waiting for follow up.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                            jimv60815638 Level 1

A.T.

I worked on the install again last night trying the following:  I turned off the firewall and antivirus, the same error with them on or off,  I had been using the administrator account with no change in results.  I created a new user account and tried to install from there with no results.  I've tried the download from the link that was sent from Adobe Support and from the link in your previous post with no success.  I had Malware Bytes, and Ad-Aware on the computer, rather that turn them off I deleted them to see if they were a problem, no luck.  At this point it's something simple that I've overlooked but I can't figure it out.

Jim

• 11. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the update and exploring the troubleshooting suggestions. Great job.

One of the paths that you followed should have been successful, but....

1. Do you have any security software on your computer that you might have missed? Are you on a single user Windows computer rather than on a company or school network?

2. What computer default browser are you using? Does switching to another default browser have any impact on these installs?

3. For troubleshooting purposes only....Can you download and install successfully the free tryout of Premiere Elements 13 from the following

Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

The key to that download and install is carrying out carefully that web site's "Important: Very Important Instructions" in order to avoid an Access Denied. Remember, all the file downloading will be from this web, not Adobe. The Adobe detour is just for you to get authenticated.

4. For all accounts, QuickTime 7 install and Internet connections are OK?

Please consider. We will be watching for your progress as your time permits.

ATR

• 12. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                                jimv60815638 Level 1

A.T.

There is no other security software on the computer, the only thing I"m using now is Microsoft Security Essentials.  My default browser is IE 11 version 11.0.26 the other browser I use is Chrome version 47.0.2526.106m

I've tried installing the free tryout using both browsers using three different user accounts, Administrator, everyday user and a new account with no success. Quicktime 7.7.7 is installed.

My internet connection is fine- Mediacom Broadband.

In a nutshell this is what I'm doing to install the software:

• Wait for your download to complete.
                                • Navigate to your downloads folder.
                                • Double Click thePhotoshopElements_14 file that you just downloaded.
                                • In the window that opens, specify a location to save the extracted files to and click "Next."
                                • When the file extraction completes, make sure “Launch Adobe Photoshop Elements 14” is checked.
                                • Click "Finish" to launch the Installer.

This is the point where nothing happens

I contacted Adobe support today and spent an hour going through everything again with an agent who finally told me he would have to escalate the problem and Adobe would be in touch via email.  As of now I've not received anything.

Thank you for all of your help with this problem.

Jim

• 13. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better. But, glad you managed to get through to Adobe Support.

Did the Adobe representative do any remote control of your computer troubleshooting in order to get at the core of this issue?

I would not use QuickTime 7.7.7. Instead use QuickTime 7.7.8 which is the current version for your Windows 7 64 bit.

QuickTime - Download - Apple

Not sure it would make the critical difference but worth a look as your time permits.

In the description of your download and install, your mention is of Photoshop Elements 14, what about Premiere Elements 14? Interesting, I have found that the Photoshop Elements 14 is the easier of the installs between the two.

ATR

• 14. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                                    jimv60815638 Level 1

A.T.

I did upgrade QuickTime to the current version but it made no difference.

I'm sorry about the confusion with the products, I purchased both Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements but not able to install either one.

As of this morning I've not heard anything from Adobe Support since the issue was escalated on December 15th.

Jim

• 15. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

In any of the troubleshooting done in this thread or via online Adobe Chat/Adobe Support, has the antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials and its Real Time Protection option) been disabled before you do the install?

If you do not hear from Adobe Support within the next few hours today, I would contact it again to remind it of your open case situation.

Please remind me if you purchased 14 from Adobe as download and if you are within 14 days from date of purchase.

Thank you for the follow ups.

ATR

• 16. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                                        jimv60815638 Level 1

A.T.

I did disable the antivirus before attempting the install on several occasions. 

I just checked my email and there is nothing from Adobe.

I purchased the product on December 1st, so I'm past my 14 days but I think with the problems I've had and almost daily contact with Adobe Support I would be eligible for a refund, which I think is the way I'll go.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Jim

• 17. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                                          jimv60815638 Level 1

A.T.

I wanted to update you regarding my Adobe products.  I can't begin to tell you of my frustration with Adobe, I have three open support cases, been told I would be called within 48 hours (never happened), my case would be escalated and I would be contacted, I received an email telling me to log back into my case for assistance, when I spent over an hour a support agent going over the same steps as before. When he couldn't figure it out he told me he would escalate my case and someone would be in touch with me within 24 hours.  At that point I asked for a refund, the agent wanted me to wait for someone to contact me but I insisted on returning the product.  I will be receiving my credit within a week.

Not once did I receive a call from Adobe or an offer to remote into my computer to resolve the issue, my hope is that Adobe will send me customer satisfaction survey to fill out but I don't think they will. 

I've spoken with two other people over the holidays who have had the same problem, one person returned the product to store it purchased from and the other one had a tech come to his house to install the product on a new computer.  It took him over two hours to resolve the problem, he had to finally update the drivers on the computer before the product would install.

I would like to thank you for your efforts to get Premiere Elements & Photoshop Elements installed for me.  I would have liked to had the product as I use both at work, but it's not to be.

Again Thank You!

Jim

• 18. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                                            jimv60815638 Level 1

A.T.

I wanted to update you regarding my Adobe products.  I can't begin to tell you of my frustration with Adobe, I have three open support cases, been told I would be called within 48 hours (never happened), my case would be escalated and I would be contacted, I received an email telling me to log back into my case for assistance, when I spent over an hour a support agent going over the same steps as before. When he couldn't figure it out he told me he would escalate my case and someone would be in touch with me within 24 hours.  At that point I asked for a refund, the agent wanted me to wait for someone to contact me but I insisted on returning the product.  I will be receiving my credit within a week.

Not once did I receive a call from Adobe or an offer to remote into my computer to resolve the issue, my hope is that Adobe will send me customer satisfaction survey to fill out but I don't think they will.

I've spoken with two other people over the holidays who have had the same problem, one person returned the product to store it purchased from and the other one had a tech come to his house to install the product on a new computer.  It took him over two hours to resolve the problem, he had to finally update the drivers on the computer before the product would install.

I would like to thank you for your efforts to get Premiere Elements & Photoshop Elements installed for me.  I would have liked to had the product as I use both at work, but it's not to be.

Again Thank You

• 19. Re: problems installing Premiere elements 14
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

jimv

Thanks for your replies and the time that you have devoted to trying to get Photoshop Elements 14 and Premiere Elements 14 to work for you. I am not sure what there was left to do, short of taking the computer back to the factory settings. You mention that you use both programs at work. One area that you might explore is considering any basic differences between the work and your present setup to see if there is a clue there to what next.

But, I am glad that you were able to get a return/refund.

Best wishes for the holidays and new year and always.

ATR