9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 9:48 AM by zwarty

Missing photos in Lightroom 5

zwarty Level 1

Hi, I have a problem....my computer completely died several weeks ago leaving me to purchase a new computer.  Thankfully, I backed up my entire computer to an external drive.  My Lightroom folder and presets were backed up to Dropbox.  I have been working hard to restore everything onto the new computer.   However, while restoring Lightroom I noticed 3 different sets of pictures that I was last working on before getting the chance to backup in Lightroom are not showing.  The pictures are on my hard drive located in the pictures folders structured as I had set them up in Lightroom originally but Lightroom is not recognizing them at all.  How can I get these pictures to physically appear in Lightroom?  I am working with Lightroom 5.

• 1. Re: Missing photos in Lightroom 5
          dj_paige Level 9

The pictures are on my hard drive located in the pictures folders structured as I had set them up in Lightroom originally but Lightroom is not recognizing them at all.

Can you explain this further? Exactly what function/command are you using when these photos are not recognized? Exactly what does happen and exactly what do you see (or not see) when these photos are not recognized? Can you show us a screen capture?

Is there an error message? If so, please quote the complete unedited word-for-word error message.

• 2. Re: Missing photos in Lightroom 5
            zwarty Level 1

Hi dj_paige,  I am not using a function or command.  The folder that was originally created does not show at all to indicate that the link was broken.  So, if you look at Lightroom it looks like everything is normal and fine.  But the pictures are on my hard drive setup in the folder I originally created.  Attached is a copy of one of the folders with the attached pictures.  This entire folder is not showing at all in Lightroom and not sure how to get it back into Lightroom.

Missing photos.PNG

• 3. Re: Missing photos in Lightroom 5
              dj_paige Level 9

You need to import these "missing" photos into Lightroom.

• 4. Re: Missing photos in Lightroom 5
                zwarty Level 1

So, I guess my question is are they imported as a copy....not sure, this all new to me  Do I recreate the folder in Lightroom, please tell me what I am suppose to do.....

I am terribly sorry but I really appreciate all your help!!!!

• 5. Re: Missing photos in Lightroom 5
                  dj_paige Level 9

So, I guess my question is are they imported as a copy....

Do you mean they were imported using the COPY option? Then the photos must be in Lightroom. There's no need to import them again. Just search for them in Lightroom --> click on All Photographs in the Catalog section on the left hand side of the Library Module, then search for them by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar.

Or do you mean something else?

• 6. Re: Missing photos in Lightroom 5
                    zwarty Level 1

No, I was asking you how am I suppose to import them when they were originally imported into Lightroom.  Here is a screen shot of my Lightroom which has no link to the file.  The previous screen shot show by title they were originally imported into Lightroom....so, to my understanding I need to re-import...is that correct.  My folder does not show in Lightroom at all.  Is this making any sense!

Lightroom.PNG

• 7. Re: Missing photos in Lightroom 5
                      dj_paige Level 9

Import them from your hard disk using the ADD option.

• 8. Re: Missing photos in Lightroom 5
                        zwarty Level 1

These pictures were loaded into Lightroom from my camera originally.  But now, the folder does not show in Lightroom at all.  Its on my computer but not in Lightroom.  So, I am trying to understand that I need to re-import them into Lightroom in order for them to show, so I can edit them.  Sorry, for the long explanation!!

• 9. Re: Missing photos in Lightroom 5
                          zwarty Level 1

Okay, thank you so very very much!!!  Your assistance is greatly appreciated!