2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 12:37 AM by Colin Flashman

Data Merge: Refresh Data

rbos7

Hiya, Im attempting to build a catalog with data merge from excel. We want to frequently update the data and images in the indesign file vie excel. Is this possible once you merge the document?

How do you update the information once you run the data merge without having to run a whole new data merge document?

Thanks for your help!

R

• 1. Re: Data Merge: Refresh Data
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I believe the Help files say if you put the merge placeholders on the master page that you can update the merged file. I've never seen it work.

• 2. Re: Data Merge: Refresh Data
            Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

What Peter said - put the placeholders on the master page.

That's not all to it though. In the newly created ID file, the option to update the database is found in the Data Merge panel:

Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 7.03.21 pm.png

If this is done when once a database has been updated, the following prompt will appear:

Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 7.03.52 pm.png

Just tried this on a fairly simple 1pp merge with 5 records; merged to a 5pp document and updated the text in textwrangler to the first line of data; then ran the procedure above, worked as directed.

HOWEVER, I don't know how this behaves on documents that used the multiple record per page feature; or one of Loic Aigon's javascripts that re-works the fields into a single text frame - that is yet to be tested.