5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 5:28 PM by Jim-Montreal

Adding pages that integrate with previous and sebsequent pages.

Jim-Montreal

Now if I add a page and delete some text on the page before the added page, text from the page after the added page moves back to the previous page as if the new page were not there?  How do I get InDesign to recognize the added page as part of the document so text will thread to the added page?

And is there an easy way to lock all the text and graphics on one specific page, e.g., the chapter title page so it doesn't thread back to a previous page when something is deleted on the previous page?

• 1. Re: Adding pages that integrate with previous and sebsequent pages.
          Migintosh Level 4

InDesign is not a word processor. If you want a chain of text frames, you have to add a text frame to the new page, click the out-port of the text frame on the previous page, and then click into the text frame on the new page. The out-port can be seen here (circled in red):

Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 6.36.22 PM.png

Jim-Montreal wrote:

And is there an easy way to lock all the text and graphics on one specific page, e.g., the chapter title page so it doesn't thread back to a previous page when something is deleted on the previous page?

Don't include things that you don't want to flow with text into the text flow. Use a free-standing text frame. Also, you would benefit from some InDesign training. This book has been recommended by many on this forum: InDesign CC: Visual QuickStart Guide (2014 release): Sandee Cohen: 9780133953565: Amazon.com: Books

• 2. Re: Adding pages that integrate with previous and sebsequent pages.
            Jim-Montreal Level 1

Thanks for replying.  If I click on the outport, it loads the selection tool with the whole book.  So that doesn't work.

I do have the InDesign CC Classroom in a book which I use and I've listened to the Lynda.com training clips but I still can't get the

answer that I want.

I just ordered the Kindle version of Sandee Cohen's book but for some reason the book remains in pending status.

Would I be better off starting over and instead of placing the whole manuscript in one document, I separate the chapters and create separate files for each and then open a book file?

• 3. Re: Adding pages that integrate with previous and sebsequent pages.
              Ellis home Level 4

Get familiar with the use of paragraph styles. If you want for instance the chapter title page to start on an odd page you create a paragraph style for the chapter title and select Paragraph Style Options>Keep Options>Start Paragraph>On Next Odd Page. Check also the other options available.

• 4. Re: Adding pages that integrate with previous and sebsequent pages.
                Migintosh Level 4

Jim-Montreal wrote:

Thanks for replying.  If I click on the outport, it loads the selection tool with the whole book.  So that doesn't work.

You are mistaken. What you are seeing is a visual indicator that you are continuing a story (a continuous string of text) into a new text frame. By default, the visual indicator begins with the first characters of the story, and has nothing to do with how the story will string through two or more text frames. If you click the out port of your previous page and then into the new text frame on the new page, you will see that the text continues directly.

See my reply to this thread: Threaded text question

• 5. Re: Adding pages that integrate with previous and sebsequent pages.
                  Jim-Montreal Level 1

I'm now reading Sandee Cohen's book, and it's very well written - much easier to follow than the ID CC Classroom in a Book.

I tried setting the paragraph style option for starting on the next odd page and this really messes up my formatting.  Also clicking the outport of the page before the added blank page and then clicking in the blank page again really messes up my formatting for the next chapter title page.

So I'm deciding to start over since I have a manuscript with 16 chapters and I've only worked on 3 so far.  The original is a docx and I'm going to create separate documents for the Introduction and all the chapters as well as the glossary and attachments.  And then I can create a Book. My first goal is to create a pdf for a physical book but then I want to export as an EPUB to publish on Amazon so I'll need to learn to create a TOC using the TOC generator in ID. 

As you pointed out, having placed the whole manuscript into continuously threaded pages created a nightmare since every little change messed up my formatting since sentences and words were flowing forward and backward with every change.

As a rank newbie, I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Thanks.