10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 6:51 AM by thomasbricker

Seething with venom for Adobe's garbage CS4 suite, ignoring of Mac platform

Stewart Design Level 1
      I just purchased a Macbook Pro in November after 15 yrs on Windows. In all my years, I've never had a fraction of the problems with Adobe products that I have since I got this Mac. Is Adobe simply not that INTERESTED in making their products perform well on the Mac side? I was under the delusion when I crossgraded that Mac was the preferred platform of designers for good reasons. But since I spend 100% of my day in some Adobe app or another, I realize that I am actually LESS efficient (and WAY more angry and frustrated) because of all the lagginess, bugginess, and unexpected shutdowns.

Does it make more sense to crossgrade BACK to Windows?? Fireworks is so frustratingly buggy that it takes me twice as long to do anything; Acrobat bombs EVERY TIME I close a file, and Contribute is a totally unusable piece of garbage now. I have never been so angry at a software company, and that INCLUDES Quark!!!!!!
        • 1. Re: Seething with venom for Adobe's garbage CS4 suite, ignoring of Mac platofrm
          Stewart Design Level 1
          (Less venomous side note: InDesign CS4 is excellent, and I love it. Dreamweaver is not as buggy as the other apps, Illustrator seems to be performing just fine, Photoshop seems fine, and I haven't used Flash enough yet to form an opinion.)
          • 2. Re: Seething with venom for Adobe's garbage CS4 suite, ignoring of Mac platofrm
            Level 7
            Have you reported these bugs to Adobe?

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"Stewart Design" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gmnaer$ls$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I just purchased a Macbook Pro in November after 15 yrs on Windows. In all
            >my
            > years, I've never had a fraction of the problems with Adobe products that
            > I
            > have since I got this Mac. Is Adobe simply not that INTERESTED in making
            > their
            > products perform well on the Mac side? I was under the delusion when I
            > crossgraded that Mac was the preferred platform of designers for good
            > reasons.
            > But since I spend 100% of my day in some Adobe app or another, I realize
            > that I
            > am actually LESS efficient (and WAY more angry and frustrated) because of
            > all
            > the lagginess, bugginess, and unexpected shutdowns.
            >
            > Does it make more sense to crossgrade BACK to Windows?? Fireworks is so
            > frustratingly buggy that it takes me twice as long to do anything; Acrobat
            > bombs EVERY TIME I close a file, and Contribute is a totally unusable
            > piece of
            > garbage now. I have never been so angry at a software company, and that
            > INCLUDES Quark!!!!!!
            >

• 3. Re: Seething with venom for Adobe's garbage CS4 suite, ignoring of Mac platofrm
              Stewart Design Level 1
              Yes, I've reported all bugs to Adobe. Still waiting for them to do something about them.
              • 4. Re: Seething with venom for Adobe's garbage CS4 suite, ignoring of Mac platofrm
                Level 7
                Did you give them explicit steps as to how to reproduce each one? It's hard
                to fix something you cannot see happening.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

"Stewart Design" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:gmpksh$qjt$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Yes, I've reported all bugs to Adobe. Still waiting for them to do
                > something about them.

• 5. Re: Seething with venom for Adobe's garbage CS4 suite, ignoring of Mac platform
                  Antinet

I am 100% with you. Here's a list of problems, many of which should not exist in the first place...

A. Photoshop webshow moved to Bridge, where it simply does not create useable code...this ends a fairly decent webshow that existed INSIDE of photoshop where it BELONGED, and where it actually WORKED.

B. Premiere does NOT export QT HD files. SD yes, HD forget it. This seems to be something Adobe wont pay Apple for, so...Premiere also has NO autodetect of scenes, miniscule amount of transitions and effects (someone devoted an entire post to the difference between the mac and PC versions)and a mind-bogglingly terrible file management system that would ruin everything even if the other problems didnt exist.

C. Encore has the worst most dated DVD templates, takes a lfietime to encode, and then crashes when its time to burn a DVD. iDVD doesnt have this problem on the same computer, mine. Encore just flat out doesnt work.

D. Five minutes ago, I was trying to export out of After Effects. It tells me it prefers that I render out through the Adobe Media Encoder. I have the composition in the render queue, but it tells me I need something in the queue to render. Classic bozoware again. After Effects was one of the programs I trusted the most, but I am starting to worry, and, frankly, the backgrounds, and included visual effects are nothing compared to Combustion and Motion even if the layer controls are more extensive. They added basically nothing since CS3.

What's most infuriating is that I demoed these as CS3 versions, except Premiere, which I mistakenly thought HAD to be as good as Apple's offerings.

Adobe should be flat out embarassed, and had I discovered this earlier, BH would have given me a refund. I think Adobe should give a free upgrade to CS5 for CS4 purchasers. If I could I would take the money I wasted on this software and run straight to FCS, which I will get to eventually.

D. Flash is the only thing Adobe has that's worthwhile, and they're trying hard to wreck Photoshop. They claim flash CS5 will author for iphone, but I seriously doubt anythign they claim. Adobe is run like its manager ran Fremont real estate, into the ground. It's like the entire company was on vacation and they paid the managers to relabel and screw up CS3. Terrible company. You say anything in the forums and its all your fault.

Funny how Ableton Live, Reason, Arkaos, and all the apple products work fine, but Adobe is the one that fails, and yet its my system's fault. All talk no delivery.

• 6. Re: Seething with venom for Adobe's garbage CS4 suite, ignoring of Mac platform
                    JoeDaSilva Level 4

You can download this free AIR extention that automatically saves your Fireworks files every few minutes:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Others/Fireworks-AutoBackup.shtml

That way when it crashes every 10 minutes you only lose a few minutes of work!

• 7. Re: Seething with venom for Adobe's garbage CS4 suite, ignoring of Mac platform
                      thomasbricker Level 1

Ive used Creative Suite for ages on Macs. (I dont use PCs)

The only bugginess I have noticed is that Fireworks has weird lags in performance.

Which until I became familiar with what Fireworks is supposed to actually be doing, I thought, "hmmm, Fireworks just doesnt work at all."

But it seems to be an optimization problem with that app.

I was thinking maybe it works way better on Intel based Macs.

(My machine at home is still not Intel)

Other than this weird speed lag, Fireworks seems to function well.

All the other apps in CS4 work beautifully.

As for loathing software, I'd have to say that Quark and Word hold the top positions in my heart for the crap software of all time. : )

• 8. Re: Seething with venom for Adobe's garbage CS4 suite, ignoring of Mac platform
                        pauleveritt

Encore is NOT my most favorite program.  Encore CS4 is WAY better than

Encore CS2.  I still use CS2 Premiere Pro for building DVDs.  It is GREAT

for simple, straight forward menus.  Encore is fine to build REALLY

complicated stuff for fancy, final delivery.  98% of the time I need quick

simple DVD menus, so I have kept CS2 in service for that.  Put the CS2

DVD system BACK in to CS6.  I have already decided to skip CS5 and

wait for the next great interation.

To you MAC folks:  IT has ALWAYS taken Adobe a couple of updates to

get the program stable, just like Microsoft.  Check for updates frequently.

Very frequently.

• 9. Re: Seething with venom for Adobe's garbage CS4 suite, ignoring of Mac platform
                          Dominic Michael Adobe Employee

Can you please detail me on the issue you faced in using Adobe Contribute?

• 10. Re: Seething with venom for Adobe's garbage CS4 suite, ignoring of Mac platform
                            thomasbricker Level 1

I think I got on this thread eroneously.

I dont use Contribute. : )

Sorry.