6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2016 1:36 AM by Stefan.Aalten-Voogd

Lightroom CC use across multiple systems

mic0219

How can I use Lightroom CC and access my catalog across two systems (e.g. an iMac and a MacBook)?   There has to be an easier way than caring an external hard drive and connecting it to the systems as recommended in the FAQ.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC use across multiple systems
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi mic,

You can use an external hard drive to access the same catalog on multiple computers. This is the easiest way and I would suggest you this workflow.

However, it is not mandatory.

Lightroom is designed to be used on one computer using one catalog at a time.

In order to use same catalog and the same set of images,you only need to make sure that Lightroom is able to access them.

If you wish to, you may follow the below workflow to use the same catalog and images on multiple computers.

You can upload your images and the catalog to any online storage like Creative Cloud, once you are done on one computer.

You need to download the same on the other computer. Once you are done on the second computer, you need to upload the catalog and the newly added images again.

Now if you are going to use the first computer, you need to download the catalog and the new images and replace/put them on the same location as like the other computer.

This should allow you to use the same catalog on multiple computer.

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC use across multiple systems
            Stefan.Aalten-Voogd Level 1

Hi,

I have just started to use Lightroom and also have this question, but my setup is different, so was wondering how I should go about it.

I have two computers, one running Windows 7-64 (work) and one running Windows 10 (home). All my data - including pictures (currently 225GB, growing by 30+GB/year) - is on a portable external hard drive that I carry with me wherever I go and that is plugged into whichever of these two machines I am working on (I use only one machine at a time). Also means I am not reliant on any network or cloud connections to get to my data - it's always with me!

I have installed Lightroom on both machines, on the respective C: (internal) drives, in the default "Program Files" location. I haven't explicitly specified where the "catalog" should be placed, but I note from "catalog settings" that this seems to have been setup on the computer's C: drive (filename Lightroom Catalog.lrcat).

As I have only just started to use Lightroom I'm happy to start over if needs be, i.e. trash the existing catalog and create a new one. But how do I tell Lightroom to create the catalog on my external hard drive? Or how can I move the existing catalog to my external hard drive and tell Lightroom where to find the moved catalog?

Many thanks!

Stefan

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC use across multiple systems
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just move the catalog to the external and on each machine when the drive is plugged in just double click the catalog icon on the drive.... it will open Lightroom and the catalog.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC use across multiple systems
                mic0219 Level 1

Stefan,

While in Lightroom, you can go to File>New Catalog and specify the location

of a new catalog (e.g. on the portable drive).  Once created, you can

import your images from your portable drive.

Since you are new to Lightroom, I recommend looking at these tutorials (

http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html)  for a given topic when you need it.

I have found them extremely clear and helpful.  Some other options are to

review the tutorials on a subject in which you are interested at Adobe.com

or on Youtube.  There are some really good ones out there as well.

Good luck!

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 2:57 AM, Stefan.Aalten-Voogd <

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC use across multiple systems
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

While in Lightroom, you can go to File>New Catalog and specify the location

of a new catalog

Wrong wrong wrong!!! Bad advice. You will lose all editing work you have ever done!

Stefan,

Follow Geoff's advice to move (by copying) the catalog to the external drive, open (double-click) the catalog on the external drive and relink the top folder of images.

Read paragraphs 5. and 6. in this link- http://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC use across multiple systems
                    Stefan.Aalten-Voogd Level 1

It's okay - I understand both pieces of advice given. Very much appreciated!

• To create a new (blank) catalog on an external hard drive --> "File > New Catalog" and point to the location on the external hard drive as mic0219 describes.
                    • To move an existing catalog from local hard drive to an external hard drive --> Move the catalog file (via file system) & relink top folder as Geoff/wobertc describe.