21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 8:06 PM by ManiacJoe

Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?

photojumper

When I opened LR, I got a message that said I had to choose the default catalog or ? (I can't remember). I chose default catalog. I chose to import photos and found that after import I only had 1876 images imported, with no folders. I know I had at least 22,000+ images. I think I messed up my catalog. How do I restore the original catalog with my subfolders?

Help!  

• 1. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi photojumper

Please look under File>>Open recent in Lightroom and choose other catalogs one by one and see if you can find yours.

Regards

Akash

• 2. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
            photojumper Level 1

I tried that and I was unable to find the catalog/subfolders/photos of the most recent one. All I found was LR catalog for LR 3 2012.

Photojumper

• 3. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?

Did you saved them on an External drive?

Default location to save the catalog is Pictures/Lightroom

See Recover catalog and images after resetting preferences

~Akash

• 4. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
                photojumper Level 1

OK.

I saved most of the recent catalogs (2015) on my internal (E) drive. I did save several back in 2012 on an external hard drive. I did save one on an external hard drive (can I move that one to my internal hard drive?-separate question).

I read the info you sent. Some of it is clear, however, I am like a lot of people afraid to push that button for fear that I will lose everything.

So if I were to do the following, will I lose all (catalogs/photos) or get the original catalog/subfolders/photos back into Lightroom?

I do have Lightroom CC (which is also Lightroom 6).

I will await your answer.

Thank you.

Reset your preferences

To reset your preferences, do the following:

1. Quit Lightroom.

2. Navigate to the preferences file:

• Windows 7, 8: C:\Users\ [user name] \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\Lightroom 5 Preferences.agprefs

3. Drag the preferences file to the Recycle Bin (Windows).

Important (Windows): The AppData folder is hidden by default. To view it, choose Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options. In the Advanced area of the View tab, make sure that Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected. Then, click OK.

• 5. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?

When I opened LR, I got a message that said I had to choose the default catalog or ? (I can't remember). I chose default catalog.

• Did you backed up your catalog ion Lightroom?( If you were using the Default catalog ,chances are you did overwrite it by clicking "Default catalog")
                  • If so, Please check the location Pictures/Lightroom/Backup and open a catalog you backed up
                  • Do you see any other catalog in the screen to choose others catalog from? The process is well explian in Recover catalog and images after resetting preferences

So if I were to do the following, will I lose all (catalogs/photos) or get the original catalog/subfolders/photos back into Lightroom?

Reset your preferences

Do not reset Preferences as it is not going to fix the issue.

~Akash

• 6. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
                    photojumper Level 1

This is what I did: I had moved the last backup of LR to an external hard drive. When I moved it back to the internal hard drive and clicked on the backup icon, I "zipped" it open and voila! my original catalog showed up in LR. I won't do that again (move the backup of the catalog to an external hard drive)<

Thank you for your assistance.

Marilyn

• 7. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
                      ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Actually, moving the backups to an external drive is a good thing, as it makes it less likely that a single drive failure takes both the backups and the original catalog with it.

The catch is that it sounds like you are using a backup catalog as your main catalog.

Hover your mouse pointer over the catalog name in the title bar of LR; it will display the full path to the main catalog. If that path contains "backup", this is a bad thing.

• 8. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
                        photojumper Level 1

So now what do I do? How do I get my Main Catalog back and still have the back-up on another hard drive?

Marilyn

• 9. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?

If you need to restore a catalog from the list of backups, you need to copy the old catalog from the backup area to the location for the main catalog then open the catalog from the main location. Backup copies should never be directly opened.

For backup locations, in the Backup dialog, there is the option to set the backup location. You should use this to put the backups on a different drive from your main catalog. For example, my locations are these:

d:\Lr6_catalogs

c:\Lr_catalog_backups

My images are separately backed up to an external drive.

• 10. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
                            photojumper Level 1

Please help me to do that as I do not understand what you want me to do.

A. I should restore a catalog from the list of backups: How do I do that? I did find the most recent backup that I then used to get my catalog back. But now it is from a backup.

I need to copy the old catalog ( How? ) from the backup area ( wher e is this locat ed? ) to the location for the main catalog ( would this be on an internal hard drive )? I do have what I call my LR catalog on my E: (internal) drive.

Then I should open ( in LR or ? ) the catalog from the main location.

B. I have been saving my backups to my E (internal) drive. Now I will be saving my backups to an external hard drive. I have two external hard drives. One holds the images. One will hold the LR Backups.

C. I already save the images to an external hard drive.

As you can probably tell I need more information.

Thanks, Marilyn

• 11. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?

Using Explorer, know/find where your backups are located.

Using Explorer, know/find where your main catalog should be.

LR will tell you where both of these locations are in the Catalog Preferences dialog.

Using Explorer, copy the *.LrCat file and its matching "previews.LrData" folder from the backup location to the main catalog location.

Open the catalog in the main location by either double-clicking on it or using the LR menu /file/open/

• 12. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
                                photojumper Level 1

I'm sorry. You say to use Explorer, do you mean Internet Explorer or ? I must be very slow in understanding.

M

• 13. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?

Not Internet Explorer, that is a web browser.

Use "File Explorer" or "Windows Explorer", depending on the version of Windows what they call it.

Probably located in the "accessories" folder in the Start menu.

• 14. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
                                    photojumper Level 1

OK, I have my main catalog located on my E drive, under what I labeled as "00 My Lightroom Photos", in a folder setup. It does not have the " .LrCat file and its matching "previews.LrData". I do not know where those are located. I have looked in my C drive.

OK. I did locate a "Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.zip" under an external hard drive under a 2015-12-03 backup. This is the one that I used to get my catalog back so that I could work on the photos. I also found "Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata" in the same external hard drive. I'm guessing that these are not what I should have used.

It looks like I need to start over with a new catalog and bring the photos into the new catalog. If this is what I have to do, how should I go about this?

M

• 15. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?

If the folder "00 My Lightroom Photos" does not have the *.LrCat file, then your catalog is not at that location. However, that is probably where all your photos are located. The location of your photos and the location of your catalog are two separate things.

To see the location of the catalog (*.LrCat file) you are currently using, hover your mouse over the LR title bar or go to the Catalog Settings dialog General tab.

"2015-12-03 backup" is a (weekly?) backup of your "Lightroom Catalog.LrCat" catalog. That may come in handy later, but not yet.

"Lightroom 5 catalog Previews.LrData" is the previews folder for the catalog "Lightroom 5 catalog.LrCat".

Using File Explorer, do a search for all the *.LrCat files on your hard drive(s).

Starting over with a new catalog is the last resort as you will lose all your edits. We are not there yet.

• 16. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
                                        photojumper Level 1

I used the search/find in Explorer. It pulled up all the .LrCat files and all the Previews.LrData, however, it does not say (show the path) where they are located on the computer. What do I do now?

The results show for the Lightroom Catalog.lrcat either a set of icons with a blank page or a zip icon/ Lightroom 3, 4, 5 or no number.

The results show for the Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata either no number after the name or Lightroom 3, 4 , or 5.

I do have Lightroom CC now.

M

• 17. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?

To see the path of the file, go to the View menu and select "details". "Folder path" should be one of the columns shown.

There will be no version number for LR associated with the *.LrCat file type.

Sort by "modified date" to see which ones were most recently updated.

• 18. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
                                            photojumper Level 1

I did as you said. I found Previews.LrData and followed the path. I did the same for .LrCat but did not find it where it should be. I did not move it. Now what?

I did double click on the Lightroom Catalog.Lrcat that was there. Lightroom came up and the catalog that I had changed came up.

I cannot find the original Lightroom catalog that I had. It is nowhere! Gone! Changed!

So the question is can I use the backup copy to revert to my main catalog?

Another question I have Lightroom CC. Why do I not find any catalogs saved under that name?

Marilyn

• 19. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
                                              dj_paige Level 9

I cannot find the original Lightroom catalog that I had. It is nowhere! Gone! Changed!

So the question is can I use the backup copy to revert to my main catalog?

Yes you can use a recent backup. Copy (not move) the backup to an empty folder, and double-click on it.

Another question I have Lightroom CC. Why do I not find any catalogs saved under that name?

The name is irrelevant and meaningless. Don't worry about it.

• 20. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?
                                                photojumper Level 1

Ok. I copied the backup to an empty folder and double clicked on it. LR came up with my old catalog, Wahoo!

Now the only other question is why does the folder show "(Zip icon) Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.zip"?

• 21. Re: Lost my original catalog, how do I find it again?

If the "folder" looks like a zip file, then you probably did not unzip the contents but used Explorer to browse the zip file.

Make sure you unzip the catalog.